Vostok Amphibian - Mainspring broken? - Page 3
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Vostok Amphibian - Mainspring broken?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Vostok Amphibian - Mainspring broken?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneMore View Post
    I've always read that as the life expectancy of the watch not the service interval. It's term OF not term BEFORE service. The average "in service" life of the watch is 10 years
    Interesting observation, never thought about that one English is not my native language and it's only now, since you point it out, that I see it.

I do agree with comrade Odessa200 that the Vostok recommended service interval (if one reads it like that) of 10 years, especially when in daily use, is a bit .... well perhaps one can say "pushing the boundaries of a sensibly service interval" or is a bit of a product "promotion".
    However I do believe that the build quality of the Vostok movement * is good enough to serve a period of well over 10 years when serviced and very likely also when not serviced.
    There are plenty of Vostoks from the Soviet times, 25+ years old, never seen a service since they left the factory and still do run. It is clear that they are in desperate need of a service, but I still have to see the very first 24xx which, despite having never had a service, has been worn down beyond simple repair. Perhaps others have, but I haven't.

It is well known that through time experiments have been made with different materials and it may well be that the very modern movements are of lesser quality
    * As for Vostok I can only judge the Soviet movements (24xx; 80's' - 90's) since those are the ones I mostly work on. The older Vostok 22xx I've done were still fine too.

Assume what you are saying is the correct interpretation; about 10 years for a say $70 watch is about $7 per year ....... if you see the watch as a "one-off" and disposal item, that still seems a very good deal to me

Anyway; interesting remark and food for thought
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; June 12th, 2019 at 19:59. Reason: Clearification

I'm certainly not saying I'm right, but only that this is how I've always interpreted the "average length of service" specification. It just makes more sense to me that 10 years is the expected life span rather than the service interval. Even in Russia I have to think that a service will be more expensive than the retained value in a $70 watch after 3-5 years and that when the time comes where the watch is running poorly most would be replaced rather than taken to a watchmaker. An average of 10 years sounds like a pretty good and reasonable life expectancy for an item many people might consider a consumable due to the low cost.
    EndeavourDK likes this.

Ok, I popped open the back and tried winding the watch with the back off. It is not the click spring. This is in perfect condition and stays in place. In fact, when the watch makes the noise, nothing visible moves that matches the noise (not the click spring, nor the ratchet wheel) and it really sounds like a spring releasing all tensions all of the sudden. I have closed the watch back up.

Previously, with a movement wound until just before the noise, the watch would run overnight. I have now wound it until I hear the noise and placed the watch face down. If it is the mainspring, ideally there would be little if any power left, so the movement would in theory stop within a much shorter amount of time.
    -----

Watches are like whisky. 1 is good.. 2 is too many.... 3 are not enough........

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FBPB View Post
    Ok, I popped open the back and tried winding the watch with the back off. It is not the click spring. This is in perfect condition and stays in place. In fact, when the watch makes the noise, nothing visible moves that matches the noise (not the click spring, nor the ratchet wheel) and it really sounds like a spring releasing all tensions all of the sudden. I have closed the watch back up.

Previously, with a movement wound until just before the noise, the watch would run overnight. I have now wound it until I hear the noise and placed the watch face down. If it is the mainspring, ideally there would be little if any power left, so the movement would in theory stop within a much shorter amount of time.
    Then, as I suspected, its the spring inside the barrel: it is slipping and not being caught. 3 reasons are possible: wrong oil (unlikely, cause watch worked), broken/worn down spring outer end, or bad/worn down barrel sides. The barrel sides have groves that catch the spring end when it slips. This does not happen here. Once the spring tension is too much and it slips it just keeps slipping all the way. A simple repair would be to take a spring in a barrel from a donor and put it in. If under warranty, send it back for repair!
    FBPB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Then, as I suspected, its the spring inside the barrel: it is slipping and not being caught. 3 reasons are possible: wrong oil (unlikely, cause watch worked), broken/worn down spring outer end, or bad/worn down barrel sides. The barrel sides have groves that catch the spring end when it slips. This does not happen here. Once the spring tension is too much and it slips it just keeps slipping all the way. A simple repair would be to take a spring in a barrel from a donor and put it in. If under warranty, send it back for repair!
    Meranom also sells a complete new mainspring barrel and spring for $5.00.
    FBPB likes this.

It's no longer under guarantee, so I'm good for getting it fixed eventually, or as I had previously decided, live with it and use it as my absolute beater and not care...
    -----

Watches are like whisky. 1 is good.. 2 is too many.... 3 are not enough........

I would like to add to OnlyOneMore; if you order a new main-spring + barrel, make sure you order for an automatic (!) movement.
    eBay is another source.
    It's a bit fiddly, but with care one could change out the barrel with the movement still in the case......
    FBPB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    I would like to add to OnlyOneMore; if you order a new main-spring + barrel, make sure you order for an automatic (!) movement.
    eBay is another source.
    It's a bit fiddly, but with care one could change out the barrel with the movement still in the case......
    Totally doable 🙂 assuming you are handy enough 🙂
    FBPB likes this.

Totally doable 🙂 assuming you are handy enough 🙂

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information