Vostok Amphibian - Mainspring broken?
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Vostok Amphibian - Mainspring broken?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi Everyone,

Like some of you on here I am having problems with my Amphibian (purchased 2 years ago), I was hoping you could help me figure out the cause:

1. When manually winding, I noticed that after +/- 20 turns of the crown that it feels as if the main spring releases all of its tension inside the barrel (there is a tiny "BZZzzzzt" sound and a physical vibration/sensation similar to that of a spring releasing it's force all at once).

2. If I wind it to just before the point mentioned in 1. above, and let the watch sit face-down, it will not run for more than a few hours.

3. If I wear the watch overnight, the movement will sometimes stop. But not always. However, if I wear it for the whole day, it will keep running.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Hector
    -----

Watches are like whisky. 1 is good.. 2 is too many.... 3 are not enough........

Hello Hector

1. Sounds like the click spring that holds mainspring barrel in place order to prevent releasing any tension. Itís likely the click spring is a fault that not doing a job properly.l , either itís loose or got sticky by old lubrications.

2. If face down and itís stopping, sounds like the lubrications is dried out and longer do a job because the friction is high or the gears wheel is jammed by wear tear or debris is caught between gears teeth.

3. Itís probably to do end shakes that keeps the watch going when you wearing it because of gravity

Your only best solution is to get it service it. I can service your watch which I done this same movement many times before

I have watch service on eBay, let me know if you are interested

Regard

Mat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by UnknownSekonda; June 10th, 2019 at 09:53.
    Jake_P and FBPB like this.
    My advice- buy a watch that pleases you. Don't let anyone judge or tell you what to wear. Good cheap and expensive watches are no different between them. Both still can tell the time.

Re: Vostok Amphibian - Mainspring broken?

Hi UnknownSekonda,

Thank you for your detailed reply. Can you PM me with a quote for the service?

Thanks,
    Hector
    -----

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FBPB View Post
    Hi UnknownSekonda,

Thank you for your detailed reply. Can you PM me with a quote for the service?

Thanks,
    Hector
    Hello Hector

Thank you

Here my eBay watch service to get an idea what I do

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113345360412

I give you a PM now

Many thanks

Mat

FBPB likes this.
    My advice- buy a watch that pleases you. Don't let anyone judge or tell you what to wear. Good cheap and expensive watches are no different between them. Both still can tell the time.

Perhaps a few basic questions first;

- What kind of movement are we talking about; a manual wound or an automatic ?
    - Was the watch new when purchased? If second-hand, is the age and service record known?
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; June 10th, 2019 at 15:32.
    FBPB likes this.

Movement is automatic with date complication, I think it's the 2416B variant.

Purchased new two years ago from Zenitar on Ebay (a group buy with a few friends).
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by FBPB View Post
    Movement is automatic with date complication, I think it's the 2416B variant.

Purchased new two years ago from Zenitar on Ebay (a group buy with a few friends).
    Thatís what Iím currently right now, serving 2416B :D

Never less, itís needs to look at

Mat

FBPB likes this.

Well, your question was if your mainspring was broken ?

From your description I get the impression that the watch winds fine by hand up until about 20 strokes.
    Since you don't mention any irregularities while winding, I therefore assume that while your are winding the watch by hand that you feel, without interruption, that the tension in the spring increases "linear" up till the point that the spring slips ?

To give you some back-ground information, this is what I wrote a few days ago in another thread and for ease I just copy & paste:

"Winding a Vorstok automatic by hand, via the crown, is the same as if the automatic winding system would do it. Unlike with a hand-wound watch, there is no end-stop on the main-spring. Meaning that if you keep winding the crown of an automatic there will be no point at which the watch will tell you " okay, I'm fully wound, no further". Instead at a certain point the fully wound spring will start to slip inside the barrel in which it is coiled up. This is a safety-feature for the automatic winding system, fully normal and meant to be. If you keep winding the crown (which can do no harm), when listening carefully you can actually hear when the fully wound spring slips.
    20-25 turns are full revolutions, not winding "strokes" which your fingers, if that makes any sense?
    If you hear the spring slipping, and give the crown a few more "strokes" after that (stop before the spring slips again), then the watch is for sure fully wound. A good functioning watch should thereafter run for at least 30 hrs, or more (36-40 hrs) "

Does this sounds about the same as what you are experiencing while winding?

If so, then there is a chance that your spring is just fine.
    If the watch winds fine up till the point that the spring slips (about 20 strokes), it's very unlikely that there is something wrong with the click or ratchet-wheel.

If you manage to put about 20 strokes in the spring and the watch stops after a few hours, something else is wrong. What I can't tell you from a distance, but with a watch of only two years old, old oil seems unlikely to be the culprit.

I'm afraid from the outside you can't do much more and the watch needs to be looked at

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post

From your description I get the impression that the watch winds fine by hand up until about 20 strokes.
    Since you don't mention any irregularities while winding, I therefore assume that while your are winding the watch by hand that you feel, without interruption, that the tension in the spring increases "linear" up till the point that the spring slips ?

To give you some back-ground information, this is what I wrote a few days ago in another thread and for ease I just copy & paste:

"Winding a Vorstok automatic by hand, via the crown, is the same as if the automatic winding system would do it. Unlike with a hand-wound watch, there is no end-stop on the main-spring. Meaning that if you keep winding the crown of an automatic there will be no point at which the watch will tell you " okay, I'm fully wound, no further". Instead at a certain point the fully wound spring will start to slip inside the barrel in which it is coiled up. This is a safety-feature for the automatic winding system, fully normal and meant to be. If you keep winding the crown (which can do no harm), when listening carefully you can actually hear when the fully wound spring slips.
    20-25 turns are full revolutions, not winding "strokes" which your fingers, if that makes any sense?
    If you hear the spring slipping, and give the crown a few more "strokes" after that (stop before the spring slips again), then the watch is for sure fully wound. A good functioning watch should thereafter run for at least 30 hrs, or more (36-40 hrs) "

If the watch winds fine up till the point that the spring slips (about 20 strokes), it's very unlikely that there is something wrong with the click or ratchet-wheel.

If you manage to put about 20 strokes in the spring and the watch stops after a few hours, something else is wrong. What I can't tell you from a distance, but with a watch of only two years old, old oil seems unlikely to be the culprit.

I'm afraid from the outside you can't do much more and the watch needs to be looked at [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif[/IMG]

The only thing I would add to the above, the spring supposed to slip a bit and be caught by the break. If the outer end of the spring is damaged or the wrong oil was used to oil the spring, once the spring starts slipping is slips too much and basically unwinds itself. I had this on a few Vostoks. New spring fixes the issue
    FBPB and EndeavourDK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post

I'm afraid from the outside you can't do much more and the watch needs to be looked at

Thank you for you extremely detailed explanation.

I mis-typed, it is indeed 20 "strokes", not full revolutions, of the crown. I can feel through my fingers that it gets slightly more difficult to wind as I near 17 strokes and up, then it slips at around 20 strokes. It did not do this when I first received it, rather only started a short while ago.

I have compared mine with my brother's Amphibian (same movement, purchased at the same time from the same seller on Ebay, has had about the same amount of wrist time / use) and his does not make such a loud slipping sound at all, and can be wound the full 20 to 25 full revolutions (40 to 45 strokes) without a problem.

On a side note, I wound the watch to 19 strokes yesterday and let it face down on a table for 24 hours. 24 hours later, it is still running and keeping perfect time.

So, I guess it needs to be looked at, or that I need to purchase a new one. Both cost more or less the same price. Decisions, decisions.
    -----

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information