Vostok desert shield question
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Vostok desert shield question

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Vostok desert shield question

I have a few questions regarding Vostok desert shield.The Vostok mark logo over #5/4 index is seen in some of the watches but in some watches there are not there?Has it to do with the year of production, or is it because of auto/manuel winding, or is it just random?In the Vostok sticky there is also 2 types of amphibia cases. One with 2mm and one with 3mm case (se picture borrowed from the sticky)I have a dessert shield with 3mm case but with manuel winding. The 3mm was according to the sticky is just for automaticmovements? Thanks!Name:  DSCF0770.jpg
Views: 3065
Size:  70.7 KBName:  p1000740a.jpg
Views: 3017
Size:  64.3 KBName:  DSCF0768.jpg
Views: 2778
Size:  79.4 KBwood
    Last edited by wood; January 8th, 2012 at 16:10.

Re: Vostok dessert shield question

Quote Originally Posted by wood View Post
    I have a few questions regarding Vostok dessert shield.

The Vostok mark logo over #5/4 index is seen in some of the watches but in some watches there are not there?
    Has it to do with the year of production, or is it because of auto/manuel winding, or is it just random?

In the Vostok sticky there is also 2 types of amphibia cases. One with 2mm and one with 3mm case (se picture borrowed from the sticky)

I have a dessert shield with 3mm case but with manuel winding. The 3mm was according to the sticky is just for automatic
    movements?

Thanks!

Name:  DSCF0770.jpg
Size:  64.3 KB

wood
    I bought one some time ago, a soviet that did not have the vostok logo, which didn't bother me because I don't like it anyway, but did raise a question as to authenticity. I was able to find examples in "well-respected-collections" of both types so I concluded it was random. I am convinced that mine was brand new based on the lack of marking and the difficulty of removing the back along with box and papers blah blah that didn't match, of course. It has the 2414 movement. The case measurement for mine is less than 3mm I believe (using a ruler). Evidently every available amphibian and komandirskie bodies were fitted with this dial at the time and mine is just one of the variants. These had a pretty short production run I believe.

Yours looks to be in nice shape although I can't tell from your pictures if it is new. If it is used then the obvious choices are:
    It's automatic but auto-wind not working. I assume you've checked this. The back would also state automatic if it should have been there.
    It's automatic but has been "repaired" by replacing 2416 with 2414. Again, back will help here.
    It was 2414 from the start. Back without automatic designation would come close to trumping fat case in my mind.

Curious to know what you've got. This is one of the most interesting watches from an historical perspective ever produced in my humble opinion, commemorating unique joint soviet/american military action, and well worth having.
    Last edited by schnurrp; January 7th, 2012 at 14:35.
    wood likes this.

The Valley of Death, but I fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in The Valley

Only thing I have to say is that it's been 21 years since I was deployed to Saudi Arabia for Operation Desert Shield.... I was a 20 year old kid. Within a month of arriving, we started bombing the crap out of the Iraqi army......and within 2 months my friends and I had helped rout that SOB Hussein out of Kuwait. We were ordered to halt operations within sight of Baghdad. Coulda, woulda, shoulda....we had them on the run and could have (might have) saved that nation from its current state of affairs. I don't know. I live with those ghosts every day.

Anyway, I have been looking at a couple of those watches just for their historical value to me. I'd like to get one, and I'll eventually do so. Anyway, wood, I like your examples...I wonder if the issues are just like our buddy Paul says? Time to start opening them up and take a look!
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "....I drank what?"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don´t know what to say tactical. I´m sorry if those memories comes to live! i didn´t know..

wood

The Valley of Death, but I fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in The Valley

I don´t know what to say tactical. I´m sorry if those memories comes to live! i didn´t know..

wood
    No, wood, no apology necessary at all! I just can't believe it's been 21 years! War is what it is, my friend, RARELY are there many good memories....that's probably a good thing... Otherwise we'd find ourselves in the middle of it all the time. One thing about war, the 'ghosts' (memories) always haunt you and you end up 'second guessing' everything. Like I said, it's a 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' situation...wishing we could have solved the problem back then and maybe the situation we're in now might not have happened. BUT, it didn't....can't change that. Please don't apologize, there's no need for an apology from you, my friend. Besides, as I said, I've been looking at a few of them as a souvenir in my collection....but I'm in no hurry as I still have a lustful eye on that matte cased Poljot Traveller!!
    wood and Danilao like this.
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "....I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    I bought one some time ago, a soviet that did not have the vostok logo, which didn't bother me because I don't like it anyway, but did raise a question as to authenticity. I was able to find examples in "well-respected-collections" of both types so I concluded it was random. I am convinced that mine was brand new based on the lack of marking and the difficulty of removing the back along with box and papers blah blah that didn't match, of course. It has the 2414 movement. The case measurement for mine is less than 3mm I believe (using a ruler). Evidently every available amphibian and komandirskie bodies were fitted with this dial at the time and mine is just one of the variants. These had a pretty short production run I believe.

Yours looks to be in nice shape although I can't tell from your pictures if it is new. If it is used then the obvious choices are:
    It's automatic but auto-wind not working. I assume you've checked this. The back would also state automatic if it should have been there.
    It's automatic but has been "repaired" by replacing 2416 with 2414. Again, back will help here.
    It was 2414 from the start. Back without automatic designation would come close to trumping fat case in my mind.

Curious to know what you've got. This is one of the most interesting watches from an historical perspective ever produced in my humble opinion, commemorating unique joint soviet/american military action, and well worth having.
    Schnurrp!

I´ll have the watch in a safe-deposit. Send the pic later this week. Yes, Russian watches in the bank!

wood
    Last edited by wood; January 8th, 2012 at 12:00.
    schnurrp likes this.

Schnurrp!

I´ll have the watch in a safe-deposit. Send the pic later this week. Yes, Russian watches in the bank!

wood
    And no krona!

@JRMTactical, I'm curious.
    You were in Iraq at the time, but you didn't receive one Desert Storm watch? I was thinking, following this knowledgeable WUS thread that every US soldier had received one!
    Also, an interview reported by ill-phil seems to say that 20000 watches were deployed in the USA.

Accordingly, I was thinking that in the US you could find one of these watches for few bucks, due to their widespread - was I wrong?
    Last edited by Vaurien; January 8th, 2012 at 14:49.
    Russian watches were designed to be maintained in the field by an agricultural worker using nothing but a hammer, a sickle, and some tractor grease... (phd)

My flickr watches: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vaurien/

I have a few questions regarding Vostok dessert shield.The Vostok mark logo over #5/4 index is seen in some of the watches but in some watches there are not there?Has it to do with the year of production, or is it because of auto/manuel winding, or is it just random?

In the Vostok sticky there is also 2 types of amphibia cases. One with 2mm and one with 3mm case (se picture borrowed from the sticky)
    I have a dessert shield with 3mm case but with manuel winding. The 3mm was according to the sticky is just for automaticmovements?

Thanks!

Name:  DSCF0770.jpg
Size:  64.3 KBName:  DSCF0768.jpg
Views: 2778
Size:  79.4 KB

wood
    Yes, Wood, that shows 2414 movement (assumed with date function window). Does back have "Автоматический" (automatic) at bottom? If so, movement has been replaced, probably. If not, then yours is kind of like mine except they used some available 420 cases which would work fine with plenty of room and wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Last edited by schnurrp; January 8th, 2012 at 14:58.

phd

//Vostok Dessert Shield// This, presumably, is a watch of sufficient size to keep custard off your shirt cuff?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information