Vostok Mod - the Revival - Page 331
Like Tree6759Likes

Thread: Vostok Mod - the Revival

Page 331 of 332 FirstFirst ... 231 281 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 3316

Re: Vostok Mod - the Revival

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNorton View Post
    Enjoying this one. Put together from mostly parts bin stuff I had laying around. Have a steel crown on order for it. It was a matte case but I polish it and brushed the sides a bit.

Attachment 14224435
    Attachment 14224437
    Attachment 14224439
    Attachment 14224441
    Attachment 14224443
    Attachment 14224445
    I would never think that 060 case could look so fantastic. Congrats on beautiful mod

Послато са SM-N950F помоћу Тапатока

Another "big" mod for me. A couple months ago I picked up a 119 tonneau case with a dead and rusted 2209 in it. I love the look of the old tonneau cases - the 090 is both to big for my tiny wrists, and kinda... boring. Many of the 119 cases had that gorgeous sunburst brushing on them, and this one was no exception. My goal was to have something somewhat stark and very clean, but was more interesting the closer you looked at it.

Step one, pull out the old crystal, all the gaskets, and the dead movement. Clean everything. Bead blast the whole case (and new stainless crown) with glass only for a satin finish (without removing the sunburst brushing... thank goodness it's deep)

Step two, Brush the sides of the case, and the spare Pers smooth bezel I had, for some contrast. Install new gaskets in the stem, caseback, and a new, taller Amphibia crystal with one of the gold tension rings in it.

Step 3, order a new 2409 Movement, a Frog dial from Leszek (and spend some time painting it a pearl white), and some wide arrow hands from Favinov. Make a notched strap from some Pull-up leather so I can have a 22mm strap to accommodate the 18mm lugs.

Step 4, break out the Noctilumina G15F and some binder, get things glowing, then do the whole assemble the watch thing.

Pics (including a great closeup of arm hair):
    Name:  119_1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  182.7 KB

Name:  119_2.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  145.8 KB

Name:  119_3.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  158.3 KB

Name:  119_4.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  119_5.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  119_7.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  71.3 KB
    stevarad, Gonkl, James_ and 10 others like this.

Just one big WOW

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stevarad View Post
    I would never think that 060 case could look so fantastic. Congrats on beautiful mod

I wrote the 060 case off , now will have to consider for next mod. Thank you. @FreddyNorton

Looks fantastic A.Sev

and because I felt like it deserved it's own post - when I got the Leszek dial in the mail the other week, something in my brain clicked and I thought "well hell, I can probably do this" - I've done acid etching before ( I have a number of weird hobbies) and I have pretty much everything I need on hand, I just need to experiment a bit.

I ordered a sheet of .020 260 brass from OnlineMetals (.5mm for those comrades who use metric), and started playing around with Laser printer toner transfer. It's actually quite simple to do. Mockup your image in something like Inkscape, reverse it. Get a sheet of magazine paper, something thin and glossy (I use the local DollarSaver magazine that comes as junk mail) and tape it to a regular sheet of paper. Print your dial design onto it. Clean your brass sheet with Acetone, then tape the printed design to it, toner side down. Run the whole thing through a laminator 8-10 times to fuse the toner to the brass. Run under cold water and watch the paper come away, leaving the toner as an acid resist.

I'm still experimenting with time in the acid (Ferric Chloride) and acid temperature. this was 45 minutes in cold acid. I'd like to go a bit deeper I think, so the next experiment I'll warm things up and see what happens.

I threw a coat of black primer on the dial blank just to highlight the texture. I've got a couple designs I'm experimenting with, all more "fun" than traditional.

Name:  20190612_091026.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  147.1 KB

EPK

I always found the hands on this difficult to see at times depending on the light conditions.

So, I ordered these Plongeur style hands from Raffles Time. I feel as though the hour hand is a bit too thin but it's certainly more legible.

The first pic is the mildly modded before pic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ohhenry1, Father of five and A.Sev like this.

A couple of my latest. All vintage scuba dudes with superluminova hands from Favinov.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That green scuba dude dial is fantastic!

@thewatchdude... Thanks! It was a rare score. I don't think I've ever seen another one.

The hands on it originally were not in very good shape so I swap them out with black favinov superluminova versions. The bezel is actually from Meranom. The case is a rare 270 case also known as the small octagon...

I'm selling a bunch of other sunburst dial scuba dudes because I find myself wearing this one and my original blue scuba dude the most often.

Thread Information