Vostok movement problems
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Vostok movement problems

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Vostok movement problems

I have a new Vostok less than a month old with 2415 automatic movement. It seemed to be going well and my faith in Vostoks was increasing from a very low point. The first problem I encountered was when I left it off for the night and put it back on in the morning while it was still ticking. It stopped but shouldn't have as I've noticed the auto winding is extremely efficient on this watch. I've noticed that even after a lazy day and then going to bed, it still has over 20 hours of reserve built up.

This happened again so I decided to shake the watch to build power reserve to see if it was just running low, which I knew wasn't right because usually a healthy Vostok movement starts ticking when you just even pick it up! So after the shaking it would tick for between 5-60s approximately and stop. I fiddled with the crown, moving the hands forward a lot which seemed to work.

So then I left it to check once more that the power reserve was ok and it was. After less than 2 min of shaking it had built up lot of power reserve.

After this I hand wound it fully, let it run down, hand wound it fully again and found it had stopped again about an hour after being fully wound. So I shook it, played with the crown a little to move the hands, bumped it a little to no avail. Giving it the palm smack was the only thing that worked this time. It's currently ticking away and I'll check again when the power reserve runs out whether it will have problems starting again.

What's the latest thinking about this problem because I've read about it many times. Is it badly lubricated? I mean it keeps great time (+17spd out the box and slowed to +3spd and winds very smoothly.

I have 5 watches now and planning on rotating them. I don't want to have to keep having to smack the Vostok every time I'm going to wear it.

I've contacted the seller but if I have to send it back at my expense it's not good because shipping costs half of what the watch cost.

Re: Vostok movement problems

And it has stopped again. Definitely someone wrong.

Yes, if it stops after being fully hand-wound, there is something wrong with the 'base' caliber, not (the usual) auto winder.

Fist thing - check if the second hand clears the hour hand, sometimes the second hand gets in touch wit the hour hand and stops the watch (an issue rather easy to see, but sometimes passes unnoticed). If it's not the issue - it can be as easy as a piece of lint or dust in the gears. Most likely nothing serious, but usually requires a full service, unless it can be seen clearly somewhere in the train…

Also could be a bad mainspring, hard to tell without seeing.

A good clue would be if the amplitude of the balance is good and then the watch suddenly stops (that means lint/dust/bad gear tooth or hands issue) or if it's generally poor with the watch stopping eventually after some time (which means a constant problem impairing movement's performance).

If you can't open a watch - listen to it, if it ticks 'strongly' or 'weakly' when it's running.
    Have a great day!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vostok watches are actually pretty good, and yours obviously needs service/repair. Vostok's can be repaired easily and quickly, and not too costly from what I have read.

Sorry, I do not know where near Scotland you could send it though.

Maybe do some on-line searches for "Vostok Watch Service."

Rolex R150533 Oyster Perpetual Date
    Rolex 14060M Submariner ("Ozzie" is his name-o)
    Rolex 16613 Date TT Submariner
    Rolex 214270 Explorer 'full lume'
    Rolex 326933 Sky-Dweller TT white dial
    Rolex 116400GV Milgauss black dial
    Tudor Pelagos LHD
    Hamilton 992B Railway Special Lever-set ca 1944
    Vostok 650546 Komandirskie Russian Military 24 hour dial
    Miscellaneous fine quality Stopwatches
    "Life is too short not to have a Rolex"

Quote Originally Posted by Rolexplorer View Post
    Vostok watches are actually pretty good, and yours obviously needs service/repair. Vostok's can be repaired easily and quickly, and not too costly from what I have read.

Sorry, I do not know where near Scotland you could send it though.

Maybe do some on-line searches for "Vostok Watch Service."

I don't need to be told that Vostok watches are good or bad. It's all about personal experience and mine has been terrible to say the least as has many others. So far out of around 10 Vostoks over the years only 2 have worked the way they should and 1 of those 2 had a wonky dial so I'm being kind, the other one I had for very little time. I'm glad your experience has been good.

Quote Originally Posted by pmwas View Post
    Yes, if it stops after being fully hand-wound, there is something wrong with the 'base' caliber, not (the usual) auto winder.

Fist thing - check if the second hand clears the hour hand, sometimes the second hand gets in touch wit the hour hand and stops the watch (an issue rather easy to see, but sometimes passes unnoticed). If it's not the issue - it can be as easy as a piece of lint or dust in the gears. Most likely nothing serious, but usually requires a full service, unless it can be seen clearly somewhere in the train…

Also could be a bad mainspring, hard to tell without seeing.

A good clue would be if the amplitude of the balance is good and then the watch suddenly stops (that means lint/dust/bad gear tooth or hands issue) or if it's generally poor with the watch stopping eventually after some time (which means a constant problem impairing movement's performance).

If you can't open a watch - listen to it, if it ticks 'strongly' or 'weakly' when it's running.
    Thanks for the advice. The second hand is stopping far away from the other hands so don't think it's that. It is ticking strongly when it works, and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    I don't need to be told that Vostok watches are good or bad. It's all about personal experience and mine has been terrible to say the least as has many others. So far out of around 10 Vostoks over the years only 2 have worked the way they should and 1 of those 2 had a wonky dial so I'm being kind, the other one I had for very little time. I'm glad your experience has been good.
    As for my experience - I've had many Vostok watches as well - most of them (yes, most, over 50% for sure) had problems due to careless assembling.
    Mostly auto-winder, but inaccuracy was also an issue. One stopped (and would ot restart) after five minutes, but has been restarted by my watchmaker and works fine till now (he did not know why it stopped, actually).

Still - I've also had Shanghai watches and - while inexpensive Vostoks can be a tad fussy, inexpensive Shanghai watches are just plain bad, and that makes a difference (don't know about more expensive Shanghais, as I never decided to pay a lot of money for a Shanghai - no way ;) ).

I like Vostoks myself (despite the trouble), but one has to know an intellligent (inquisitive) watchmaker or have some skills himself to wear Vostoks without certain concerns ;)
    Pneuma likes this.
    Have a great day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    I have a new Vostok less than a month old with 2415 automatic movement.
    Warranty; send it back ......
    “The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

I said it before and will say it again. This was tested and proven to be the best advise ever for the new Vostoks. This is what should be done:

1) buy a new watch
    2) go to a good watchmaster and have it serviced
    3) put it on and enjoy for years

The mistake many new owners make is that they skip step 2. Big mistake! Obviously the last statement is a joke but the above approach is not a joke. The watches are built on a good caliber but the assembly, QC, tuning of the watch is completely missing at the factory. Some people are lucky to get a better watch and some get a lemon. Every new Vostok buyer should expect to need the service the watch after buying it or soon after it. Any new watch working Ok w/o a service is a lucky buy. Yes, maybe 50% of watches are done good enough to work for a few years w/o a service. Maybe 75%. But there is a significant % that badly needs service right from the day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    I said it before and will say it again. This was tested and proven to be the best advise ever for the new Vostoks. This is what should be done:

1) buy a new watch
    2) go to a good watchmaster and have it serviced
    3) put it on and enjoy for years

The mistake many new owners make is that they skip step 2. Big mistake! Obviously the last statement is a joke but the above approach is not a joke. The watches are built on a good caliber but the assembly, QC, tuning of the watch is completely missing at the factory. Some people are lucky to get a better watch and some get a lemon. Every new Vostok buyer should expect to need the service the watch after buying it or soon after it. Any new watch working Ok w/o a service is a lucky buy. Yes, maybe 50% of watches are done good enough to work for a few years w/o a service. Maybe 75%. But there is a significant % that badly needs service right from the day 1.
    I agree 100%. First thing I do with a new Vostok is crack the caseback and touch the few jewels I can see with some Mobious. Then slap it on the good old timer machine to check the rate. Then go from there.

Kinda like when my first child came home from the hospital. I opened his caseback and oiled the few jewels I could see....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Matt_Bored_O, ven and antilucem like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information