What did you buy today? - Page 42
Like Tree7755Likes

Thread: What did you buy today?

Page 42 of 291 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 92 142 ... LastLast

Re: What did you buy today?

Quote Originally Posted by LightDot View Post
    Well, it's Serbo-Croatian and I'm making the distinction for two reasons: the use of the word "odbor" instad of "veće" ("committee") and Latin instead of Cyrillic script. I'd venture to say that it's about 55% against 45% chance that it comes from today's Croatia rather than Serbia, at least originally. But I can't be certain as the word "odbor" is also quite commonly used in Serbian and the Latin script also, so... In any case, the former Yugoslavia without a doubt.

20 years of service
    on Yugoslavian Railroad
    The syndicate committee

To bad they didn't add the year...

In any case, very nice watches!
    Thanks, LightDot, much appreciated!

What did you buy today?

Not a very unusual or rare Watch, but I bought this some time ago and forgot about it. This morning I remembered it hadn’t come and made a mental note to check online. Early afternoon the postman delivered it. I’m very pleased with it and have just ordered a nice strap
    Last edited by Sogeha; November 4th, 2017 at 01:28.
    Cogito ergo sum - I think I am, therefore I am I think

“Brotherhood > anything money can buy” Hanif.Rayney

“Oh, I may be on the side of the angels, but don't for one second think that I am one of them”

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    This kirovskie comes in two sizes, I got the big one.

Attachment 12628573
    According to their reference numbers, the cases (both type 513) are actually identical -- no size difference. I think the catalog just cropped the images poorly.

In fact, the reference codes indicate the watches differ only by their dials, and only one digit at that (dial type 173 vs 174). I suspect this is a minor difference, like a silver- vs champagne-colored dial.

I can't be positive this is what the code is referring to, but I've got one with a silver dial, so we know there were at least these two types.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 12.02.22.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  212.2 KB

Nice catch! I'm only a little jealous.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This big kirovskie "lightning bolt"(sort of) on the left to match my Chistopol on the right. Appears all authentic, love those "necktie" hands and am hoping it has the original crystal (another pictured).

Attachment 12628433
    Quote Originally Posted by LightDot View Post
    Well, it's Serbo-Croatian and I'm making the distinction for two reasons: the use of the word "odbor" instad of "veće" ("committee") and Latin instead of Cyrillic script. I'd venture to say that it's about 55% against 45% chance that it comes from today's Croatia rather than Serbia, at least originally. But I can't be certain as the word "odbor" is also quite commonly used in Serbian and the Latin script also, so... In any case, the former Yugoslavia without a doubt.

20 years of service
    on Yugoslavian Railroad
    The syndicate committee

To bad they didn't add the year...

In any case, very nice watches!
    Very nice piece anyway but with that case back just superb. I'm very jealous. Nice catch Schnurrp .
    ​I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by kev80e View Post
    Very nice piece anyway but with that case back just superb. I'm very jealous. Nice catch Schnurrp .
    Thanks, Kev. I thought of you immediately when I got the translation.
    kev80e likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    According to their reference numbers, the cases (both type 513) are actually identical -- no size difference. I think the catalog just cropped the images poorly.

In fact, the reference codes indicate the watches differ only by their dials, and only one digit at that (dial type 173 vs 174). I suspect this is a minor difference, like a silver- vs champagne-colored dial.

I can't be positive this is what the code is referring to, but I've got one with a silver dial, so we know there were at least these two types.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 12.02.22.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  212.2 KB

Nice catch! I'm only a little jealous.
    I think you are right, Dash. Two things may be driving my interpretation, the "12" on the left-hand example is over-exposed and has lost some detail resulting in a larger gap to the case edge, the band on the right-hand example fits the lugs with no gap, and the lugs look thicker (again from over-exposure of the left-hand one, probably) indicating a different case.

The one in your collection is in a different case and has a different hand set. A quick look through the catalogs of that day turned up only the one pictured. Are you comfortable with your example? Certainly looks all put together and those hands are found on other 2408/9s of the day. I don't want to be too critical since you are completely responsible for me bidding and buying mine.

As far as color goes, looking at the catalog, the right hand one has more of a gold look to the dial.

Could have sworn I've seen a smaller version but I may be thinking of the Chistopol one.
    mroatman likes this.

one that comes is this case...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (16).jpg 
Views:	1111 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	12630445

Are you comfortable with your example? Certainly looks all put together and those hands are found on other 2408/9s of the day. I don't want to be too critical since you are completely responsible for me bidding and buying mine.
    Yeah, I'm fine with it. Course, I considered that it could be a construction before buying -- but looking a little lower on the very same page in the catalog, you see the case and handset. So those are at least period- and style-appropriate.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 22.02.55.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  160.4 KB

Still could be a construction, of course. But the crown is what sealed the deal for me.

Looking closely, you can see that the catalog shows the conical Kirovskie-style crown paired with the crab case. As you know, this isn't the most common crown. But mine has the same. (Hard to see in the photo, but it's there.)

Name:  594bb0_6bc693b092e546ba93ba8e8ee80708a6~mv2.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  38.1 KBName:  Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 22.17.35.png
Views: 183
Size:  67.8 KB

Seems a lot of work to put a pristine dial in the wrong case and also use a pretty rare (but authentic) crown.

Anyway, I won't lose sleep over it.
    Last edited by mroatman; November 4th, 2017 at 22:22.

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Yeah, I'm fine with it. Course, I considered that it could be a construction before buying -- but looking a little lower on the very same page in the catalog, you see the case and handset. So those are at least period- and style-appropriate.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 22.02.55.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  160.4 KB

Still could be a construction, of course. But the crown is what sealed the deal for me.

Looking closely, you can see that the catalog shows the conical Kirovskie-style crown paired with the crab case. As you know, this isn't the most common crown. But mine has the same. (Hard to see in the photo, but it's there.)

Name:  594bb0_6bc693b092e546ba93ba8e8ee80708a6~mv2.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  38.1 KBName:  Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 22.17.35.png
Views: 183
Size:  67.8 KB

Seems a lot of work to put a pristine dial in the wrong case and also use a pretty rare (but authentic) crown.

Anyway, I won't lose sleep over it.
    Agree, completely. Also I like the white dial better, and I'm sure you got a good deal.
    mroatman likes this.

and I'm sure you got a good deal.
    About the same you paid for yours. Don't be too jealous.

Page 42 of 291 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 92 142 ... LastLast

Thread Information