What do you prefer: mechanical or automatic Vostok Komandirskie watches?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By GoodNamesWereTaken
  • 2 Post By EndeavourDK
  • 1 Post By Odessa200
  • 1 Post By thewatchadude

Thread: What do you prefer: mechanical or automatic Vostok Komandirskie watches?

What do you prefer: mechanical or automatic Vostok Komandirskie watches?

Whats better for you? Also what decade (60s-70-80-90s-2000s) Vostoks do you usually wear on your wrist?
    Thanks for your interest
    Sincerely

Re: What do you prefer: mechanical or automatic Vostok Komandirskie watches?

All manual wind 2414s (and a 2409) from the 80s. Overall, I prefer them because they are the easiest to live with as well as some other reasons below.

-Generally, better fit and finish during the 80s compared to a lot of Vostok's contemporary offerings. For chrome plated watches, the plating is also more resistant to wear.
    -Maintains accuracy and amplitude very well throughout its 42 hour power reserve in up to 5 positions. This isn't something I can say about the multiple 2416 watches I've had.
    -According to my watchmaker, they are "stupidly easy" to work on and always run great after a proper service.
    -Very easy to adjust with very forgiving tolerances, unlike the 22XX.
    -Being made in the Soviet era; better quality control than Russian ones.
    -Parts and knowledge and plentiful and abundant.
    -The dial colors gives off a more 3D finish - better (IMO) than flat-looking contemporary Russian-made ones.
    -Available in a plethora of different dial & case combinations.
    -Manual wind, therefore not very thick nor very heavy(I can't stand wearing bulky, top heavy watches). Their dimensions also fit my wrist the best.
    EndeavourDK, Mazuri222 and 24h like this.

Yes, second GoodNamesWereTaken.

I usually get the manual wound 2409 & 2414 to run much more smooth & accurate. Prefer the quality of the Komandirskie housings up till they started with the small crown, around 2000
    Mazuri222 and 24h like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Same as above but I do venture into 60s and 70s regularly. Quality-wise before 90s are the best.
    Mazuri222 likes this.

Like many beginners I'm a Vostok Amphibia fan and that's what my collection focuses on. I'm trying to get Soviet Amphibias, but also modern (ie. current) ones. I don't have any real interest in transition and 2000s pieces (except exceptions...). So both manual and automatic for me.

That said being a somewhat regular scuba diver and spending 3 evenings a week in the swimming pool I prefer modern Amphibias for daily wear (very reluctant to put a vintage one in water) and thus wearing mostly automatic. I would barely buy a modern manual watch.
    Mazuri222 likes this.

Thread Information