Worth buying a watch in Russia?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Worth buying a watch in Russia?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Worth buying a watch in Russia?

Iím visiting Moscow in a couple of weeks and was wondering if itís worth looking for watches there. I have a Vostok Amphibian already, but thought it would be cool to pick one up in the Motherland. Donít know if Vostok is actually something easily found in Russia or is it something primarily marketed outside the country. I visited Moscow in the 80ís and there really wasnít much in the way of souvenirs to buy there back then. Anyone been to Moscow lately?
    Slm643 and Mikefable like this.
    Never try to install spring bars in a hurry. -lvt

"Affordable" just means you end up spending the same amount of money, but end up with a greater number of watches. -MandoBear

Re: Worth buying a watch in Russia?

My girlfriend went to Russia last year. Picked this up for me. I know itís not rare by any means but Iíve yet to see anyone sporting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slm643 likes this.

I'd suggest you ask this question in the Russian Watches forum.
    Old enough to appreciate the saying
    "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1afc View Post
    I'd suggest you ask this question in the Russian Watches forum.
    Thread moved.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefable View Post
    My girlfriend went to Russia last year. Picked this up for me. I know it’s not rare by any means but I’ve yet to see anyone sporting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Welcome to the Russian Watch community! What would you like to know? It is a Komandirskie watch. As you correctly pointed out, not rare. Not expensive. Could be your daily ‘beater’. If breaks/scratches parts are readily available and will not break your bank to completely replace the watch. There is a vibrant community on this forum who enjoys modding these watches (changing hands, duals, bezels, etc). If you like this you can transform this watch into whatever you want 🙂. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Welcome to the Russian Watch community! What would you like to know? It is a Komandirskie watch. As you correctly pointed out, not rare. Not expensive. Could be your daily Ďbeaterí. If breaks/scratches parts are readily available and will not break your bank to completely replace the watch. There is a vibrant community on this forum who enjoys modding these watches (changing hands, duals, bezels, etc). If you like this you can transform this watch into whatever you want 🙂. Good luck!
    That wasn't the OP. OP wants to know if there are any watches to look out for when visiting Russia...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

My bad. 🙂. I guess in Russia, the main watch brands that is used/bought these days would be Vostok and Raketa. Right? In Belorussia that would be Luch.
    Raketa and Vostok is making some nice limited series (that are somewhat pricy compared to the average russian watch prices). They do look quite nice and many russian watch enthusiast (like us) buy them. Qyaluty-wise: some people are very happy with them and some not. If someone wants an unusual watch that almost no one else (in the western world) has: definitely look at the Russian watches when visiting there.
    Slm643, Mikefable and 24h like this.

I was just wondering if Moscow was a decent place to find a watch. We will visit GUM while we are there, but the last time we were there in the 80’s everything was either total junk or super expensive. Not sure if Vostok is something commonly found in stores or if it’s primarily marketed online.
    Never try to install spring bars in a hurry. -lvt

"Affordable" just means you end up spending the same amount of money, but end up with a greater number of watches. -MandoBear

https://slava.su/en/magaziny-chasov-v-Moskve-Peterburge

https://smirs.com/en/contact/

Could be worth checking these out ;)

Enjoy your trip mate , and pics. please on return

Been several times and have hired a "translator/guide" because in addition to dealing with the face control there :) it is usually so reasonable. Last time we had a young lass who was an history major at the university there. She was great, not only with seeing the sights, but the local knowledge - where to shop, eat, etc. If you can hook up with someone like that, you'd be doing yourself a favor if you don't already have arrangements.

GUM is not likely to have the best deals - large department store near the Kremlin, red square, tourists, etc. I expect you need to go where the "people" shop. There are a lot of street markets and smaller shopping districts downtown. Guaranteed to find vostoks, question is what price and selection.

Oh, and it ain't the 80's there anymore. Moscow is a pretty happening place.
    Don't stare at Lenin and get yourself in trouble like me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information