Long term ownership - Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronograph Caliber 9300
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Long term ownership - Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronograph Caliber 9300

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Long term ownership - Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronograph Caliber 9300

Hello! I'm wondering folks who have owned the Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronograph Caliber 9300 for a year or so, or more, have feedback to share...

Is it still your favorite?
    Did you sell it off?
    Accuracy?
    Any issues?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
    Charleston, SC

Re: Long term ownership - Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronograph Caliber 9300

I'm a happy owner of that particular Speedmaster. I have acquired it not quite a year ago, in a trade for the 9300 POC and 3570 Moonwatch that I then owned. I had rationalized that one watch (this new Speedmaster) could play the role of the two others in my collection.

After 8 months of ownership, I'd say I'm happy with my move. It's a fantastic Speedmaster that, at least in my opinion, is the "perfect everyday Speedmaster". The sturdy front sapphire crystal, date feature, and easy-to-use chrono function make it a fantastic daily wearer. In terms of design, and especially the legibility of the watch face (the single most important element in the Speedmaster that had me drawn to that watch in the first place), I feel the new 9300 is even better than the original, in that it is even MORE legible than the original, while maintaining the same overall aesthetics/design.

As far as accuracy is concern, the watch is very stable and accurate. It runs about +2.5 seconds per day, whether I wear it or leave it on the shelf (I wear the watch in rotation with another main watch and sometimes a third one mixed in there).

If you are looking for the classic Speedmaster, but want a more fully-featured watch with a date function, I think the new 9300 is a fantastic daily wearer. You can't go wrong. If you are simply looking for a Speedmaster to add to a collection without necessarily wearing it everyday, and if a date function isn't all that important to you, you can save precious coin by choosing a 3570 or 3573 instead.

Considering my own set of circumstances, budget, etc.: I'm very happy with my choice.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Roster:
    Glashütte Original Senator Observer (white)
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 (black)
    Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    Omega Seamaster 2531.80 "Bond"
    Citizen Promaster Sky BY0084-56E
    Citizen Nighthawk
    Casio G-Shock "Inception" GW5000-1JF
    Vintage Seiko SQ150

Gone:
    Breitling Chronomat 44
    Omega Planet Ocean 8500 42 mm
    Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph 9300
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 "Moonwatch"

Hi all, wanted to give this a bump since I'm considering this job. How are your Speedy 9300s holding up so far? Any issues worth mentioning? Pics welcome too :)
    Current Rotation:
    Planet Ocean 8900 43.5
    Planet Ocean 2500D 42mm
    Planet Ocean 2500D 45mm

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul718 View Post
    Hi all, wanted to give this a bump since I'm considering this job. How are your Speedy 9300s holding up so far? Any issues worth mentioning? Pics welcome too :)
    Im a happy owner of the speedmaster 57 also geared with the 9300 caliber. Its a fantastic watch, +2s/day (bit worse than my at8500 that runs -0.3s/day) and a beautiful piece. The movement per si is great looking, precise, the column wheel feels smoth on the chrono start/stop

the 57 speedy is a beauty, but thats for another post

Name:  IMG_0563.JPG
Views: 1002
Size:  521.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0562.JPG
Views: 1004
Size:  629.3 KB
    Kauf2947 and trappster like this.

No issues with mine. The crown is sometimes hard to pull to the 2nd (i.e, balance-stop, time-setting position), but other than that, no complains. Never misses a beat. Great power reserve. Very accurate. I don't bother checking, but I usually set it about 10 seconds behind, and it takes weeks to get ahead of the atomic clock...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Roster:
    Glashütte Original Senator Observer (white)
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 (black)
    Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    Omega Seamaster 2531.80 "Bond"
    Citizen Promaster Sky BY0084-56E
    Citizen Nighthawk
    Casio G-Shock "Inception" GW5000-1JF
    Vintage Seiko SQ150

Gone:
    Breitling Chronomat 44
    Omega Planet Ocean 8500 42 mm
    Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph 9300
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 "Moonwatch"

If you want a classical and iconic design together with state of the art technology this beauty is for you. It wears comfortable on the wrist, looks good casual and business and is not too obtrusive.

I have mine for over four years now and although I have flipped dozens of watches the last years this one will stay forever!
    Mike Kilo Niner likes this.
    cheers - mike

Thanks for all the input on this guys! I myself have been looking at Speedmasters with the 9300. This makes me look forward to it even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to add that the Speedmaster 9300 wears less high than one might guess (or fear) from the 16mm thickness. The structured Speedmaster case sides make the watch appear less monolithic (or soup can-like) than some other watches, and the case back sapphire window lifts it a bit and makes it very comfortable to wear. No digging of the pushers or the crown guards into the skin.

Name:  IMG_20180908_213027.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  766.0 KBName:  IMG_20180908_212922.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  862.9 KB

The rhodium plated movement is fun to look at, I just wish the top plate allowed a bit more insight into the machinery. But automatics are always already at a disadvantage there, and the designers probably decided that the more uniform homogeneous look was the better compromise than to let half a wheel peek through here or there. Or maybe showing gears is simply not possible at all with the modular multi layer construction of this movement. Anyways, not complaining.

Precision is amazing, on the timing machine all the positions were within 1s/day, and on the wrist it has lost four seconds in ten days.
    Update: now leveling out at -0.5s/day.

Weight: 180g with the bracelet. Incidentally, that's the same as a Seiko SKX011 with a micro-adjust Miltat/Strapcode bracelet.

The one thing I don't like (besides the crystal issue with my particular watch, that I'm not going to get into here): even though it is a column wheel chronograph, the pusher force necessary for the initial start is significantly higher than for stop, restart, and reset. About 1700g equivalent force (17N) for the first start, and about 1300g (13N) for subsequent pushes.
    Last edited by LCheapo; September 13th, 2018 at 06:38.

1154 ratchet clasp on Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronograph Caliber 9300

Update (for some reason I can't edit my previous post anymore): The ratchet clasp and end links (117STZ001154 +2* 118ST1589) arrived four weeks after ordering them from the Omega boutique in Chicago. $235 including tax.
    I took one link out on the 12 o'clock side of the watch band, to match the length. With this adjustment (and another link taken out before) the weight of the watch and watch band is 180 gram, exactly the same as before. The 1154 ratchet clasp feels very solid. The only downside compared to the Miltat ratchet clasp on my SKX011 is that to adjust the length one has to open the Omega clasp and press a button on the inside. The Miltat has a second set of release pushers on the outside for length adjustment.
    Other observations (maybe already mentioned in the 1154 thread): the 1589 end links attach solidly to the 1154 clasp, that is, they do not fold 90 degree as the standard 1958/989 band links do, but have only minimal rotational play, acting essentially like a (curved) extension of the clasp. Not a problem on a 7 1/4" wrist, but something to be aware of. The nearly solid section of the clasp + neighboring links grows from 43.5mm (measured in a straight line link eye to link eye) with the standard 1958/589 parts to 45mm with the 1154 clasp + 1589 end links.
    Optically, the new clasp has the same 20mm top surface width as the old clasp, but adds two 0.5mm chamfers, for a total width of 21mm. It matches the watch band very well. The 1958/989 watch band tapers from 21mm to 18mm at the clasp. The 1589 end links are matching the 18mm width, the length is a bit shorter than the normal links (7.5mm vs. 9mm), and where the normal 1958/989 links have the polished sections, the 1589 end links have a narrow channel engraved. Essentially they look like a slightly shorter standard 1958/989 link with a wider brushed middle section. One pin and two screws are included with each new end link, to attach them to the clasp. The standard link screws and pins get reused on the watch band side.

With this adjustment capability, the watch band is very comfortable.

Re: 1154 ratchet clasp on Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Chronograph Caliber 9300

The ratchet clasp should be a standard feature -- completely transformed the daily wearability of the watch on the bracelet for me. It's a big beast, but being able to snug/loosen the bracelet as needed for a perfect fit makes it much more comfortable. I adore the classic good looks combined with the modern technology of the movement. For me, it's the perfect, perfectly modern Speedy.

My only minor complaint is that pulling the crown out can sometimes be difficult -- it's so well protected by the crown guards and tucked under the tachymetre bezel that it can be hard to pop out if you keep your nails cut very short. But that's really reaching to find something to complain about. It's about as close to the perfect watch for me as I'm ever likely to find in this life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast