Review - Omega 5203.5000
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By omegaman600

Thread: Review - Omega 5203.5000

Review - Omega 5203.5000

Having sold my Hamilton Viewmatic 40mm (it was massive) and my Omega Polaris GMT (I was always paralyticallly worried about scratching the gold inlays) I have purchased a new watch.
    I imagine you can guess which brand it is made by (obviously, in the Omega forum).

Name:  Guz_geneve_dynamic_new-001.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  84.2 KB

Until the day I bought it, I didnīt know anything about it. I didnīt even know it existed.
    Are you familiar with the Dynamic line of watches?
    For the ones of you who arenīt Iīve created a little roundup of Dynamic history.

There was the Mk1. Gensis. The very new, very strange and very brilliant UFO-shaped Geneve Dynamic. That was in the 70s. Omega wanted to create a watch thatīd be wanted by the young. They really wanted to push the boat out with this one. And boy, did they. It was the best-selling Omega of its time. They advertised it as being ergonomically styled to fit the wearerīs wrists. That was achieved by a unique design of the strap which, rather than being held on by the lugs, is held by a ring on the back of the case. It was available in a huge variety of versions. There was the classic "bullseye" design, mostly blue and silver-colored. There was a simple hand winding version and automatic versions with date and day-date aperature. There was also a "Grand Prix" dial with the checked seconds markers. It was made in two cases, the earlier one sharp and aggressive and the later one smoother but still no less oval. Then, inexplicably, it was gone.

Name:  Omega_Seamaster_Dynamic0.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  67.4 KB

In the 80s they thought for the second time: "Letīs make a watch for younger chap!" So the Dynamic Badge was revived. It didnīt go well.
    The outcome was pretty much the worst watch in history. Iīd rather wear a Tag Kirium Multifunction (this is not meant as an insult to anybody who owns a Kirium, it is merely a reference of this watchīs terrbility) than that one. And that is a huge insult to a watch. It has the same strap design but was smaller and read "Seamaster" on the dial. Not a bit of heritage gives it a reason to wear this legendary badge. I imagine they didnīt sell very many.

Name:  omega-dynamic-11.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  53.3 KB

Then, in the 90s Omega thought yet a third time: "Weīd like to attract as young a crowd as Breitling and Tag!" So they got ready for the third attempt. What they did was ditch the strange looks and special bracelet construction. It might even be described as boring. It looks like a watch should look. But it has a history. The looks of this one are closely related to the watches that the British fighter pilots wore in WWII. The dial is a precise copy. Even the date wheel wears the hand-written-style numerals of the dial. The Military edition from 50 years ago didnīt have a date of course because of the magnetism. The case is also just like on the WWW (Waterresistant WristWatch). The caseback is simple. It reads Omega and the symbol in Greek. No swimming horses, no Swiss observatories, no skylines. Just the necessary. The bracelet is from the Speedmaster reduced. Not my favourite one, if you ask me. The clasp looks flimsy and just isnīt nice enough for something with this famous badge. The screw-down crown is huge so that you can operate it while wearing your pilotīs gloves. They made a simple one, the twin of the original WWW (or the Broad Arrow as itīs also known), a chronograph with two subdials (very pretty and well-composed dial) and several specials including a military issue with an actual broad arrow on the dial.

Name:  jt7ur.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  216.8 KB

The overall result is fantastic. Itīs pretty much brilliant. If you get the simple one, the non-chrono with a simple brown leather strap and the ingenious Omega deployment clasp youīre fine.

But I couldnīt buy it. You see, I wanted to get this watch as the watch of my life. Surely thereīd be a fair lot of watches coming and going. But this one would always be there. The foundation of my collection, pretty much. And then, that one day, I found it. The "Classic". It really does its name no wrong: it is a classic.

Itīs a version of the Dynamic that not even the vast database of Omega knows. And there are few pics on the web. One forum member in Germany whoīs got pretty much all the Dynamics including the special editions has the watch in blue. But I got the black one.
    Though it looks like itīs new, itīs not. Itīs like a turkey curry on Boxing Day. Itīs made from leftovers: The case is from the Dynamic, with the lugs having been polished to make it look calm and civilized. The hands are from the first edition of the Seamaster 120m. And so is the dial. The bracelet is from the Speedmaster Pro. And the clasp, that is from the Aqua Terra. The movement is the same as the Dymaicīs. A reliable ETA 2892A2 in Top grade decoration. It says 1108 on the rotor but what it actually is, is an ETA. And it also has the same huge screw-down crown which is easy to operate.

Name:  pgp8i.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  184.2 KB

The watch is a one of a kind. Itīs an Omega thatīs likeable and elegant. The Seamaster 120 wouldīve been my first choice. But it isnīt available with a black dial. And so I got this one.
    The reason for its rarity is that it was exclusively sold in Japan. There were few sold and thanks to the care that Japanese people like to apply to everything mine came like new. It was in the original box and still had the small wallet with the instructions. The card is missing. But who needs the card? Itīs now irrelevant as the warrantyīs out for 13 years now. Iīve got something better than the card. Iīve received what was my dearest hope, and this wasnīt shown in the advert, the original hangtag. The Omega Seamaster GMT that I previously owned also came with a hangtag. But not only did it not belong to that very watch, it was even from another model with a different movement. This time, however, Iīve received the original one, with the correct reference and watch serial.

This watch is truly the greatest one Iīve ever owned. And itīs not far short of a Rolex Datejust. I donīt think that a Rolex comes with an antimagnetic calotte in the back. And I bet that none of the members have ever heard of, nor seen this one in the flesh .

The obligatory data:

Omega Dynamic "Classic"

movement ETA 2892A2 / Omega 1108
    material stainless steel
    crystal Saphire crystal, antireflective
    water resistance 50m
    diameter 38mm
    lug-width 18mm

Finally I would like to thank you for reading and heavily apologize to the people I stole the pictures from for my little history lesson.
    Last edited by omegaman600; March 16th, 2014 at 18:50.
    CristiT, Jacq and risturm like this.

Re: Review - Omega 5203.5000

Hi, I have one of these watches (also purchased in Japan) along with the other limited edition Japanese Dynamics of the 1990s (the black check and blue check versions referenced on this page CHRONO) and a super rare white dial version as well. All of them sport the same case/movement/bracelet. The blue check version is the nicest of all.... I don't wear them anymore so if anyone was interested in buying them PM me and I can email you some photos. Cheers, Dan.

Re: Review - Omega 5203.5000

Great history of the dynamic. Enjoy the watch!

Thread Information