AWG-M100 - review
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: AWG-M100 - review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Re: under the radar - AWG-M100

So - it took more than a year till I finally got one . I thought I might as well add a little review to the already existing thread. I didn't see much about the AWG-M100 on the forum yet and I think it deserves a little more attention as it's a really nice model for the ana-digi fans among us (I'm one of them ).
    Here it is then - the stealthy AWG-M100B (I already showed it in the daily WRUWs):

I got mine slightly used from a German watch forum - bought it from a good friend there.
    This watch is very hard to photograph because of the stealth look - you see every little dust-particle and the negative displays are hard to capture.
    I already gave a little overview on the functions in the 1st post of this thread - but here's a link to the manual:
    http://www2.casio.co.jp/manual_pdf/w...php/qw5230.pdf

I'll just quickly list the features again:
    - atomic/solar
    - main time-keeping screen shows "mute" and "hands" and "RCVD" on the right LCD, "DST" and "LT" for the auto-LED on the left display, "ALM", "SIG" and charge indicator on the lower LCD
    - worldtime (full city name does scroll through the display once - then changes to 3-letters airport-code) - the left LCD shows the time of the worldtime city - time-swap feature
    - stopwatch (60min) - lower display shows 1/100th sec - left one shows minutes and seconds
    - 100min timer setable in 1-sec increments
    - 5 alarms - no snooze
    - amber LED at 6 o'clock position
    - lumed hands (just forget about the lume )
    - illumination duration setable between 1 and 3 seconds
    - hand-moving feature - can be engaged by pressing "mode" for a few seconds - on the setting screens the hands move automatically - which is only semi-useful however - e.g. if you set an alarm you're sometimes already done before the hands stop moving out of the way - they always move to the next position in which no hand covers an LCD - which depending on the time can be slower or faster of course, but because the LCDs are smaller than on the GW-2500 e.g. - the feature is useful as the hands can completely cover the LCD while on the GW-2500 a little look from an angle is often enough to still see everything you need to see
    - button beeps can be turned off
    - the watch is only 40mm without buttons which makes it quite comfy

Now some features I like that were not mentioned in the short description on the Casio homepage - they are in the manual but some I simply overlooked and was quite surprised so see them.
    - there is a pre-alarm countdown on the main-screen, as soon as the remaining time to the alarm is 60min the right LCD starts counting down - actually quite useful and not a lot of G-Shocks had that feature (of my collection the G-2900 and the duplex models (G-3XXX) have it)
    - once the alarm sounds there is a nice little animation in the right window - too bad I don't have any pics of that
    - as usual on a G-Shock - sound and movement or sound and light don't mix - so when you press the start-button to start the timer or stopwatch and the hands are still moving - they stop for as long as the button beep sounds - interesting IMO

What I really like about that model is the stealth factor which is quite high - still the readability of the analog time is excellent because of the bright white hands - I only wish they were either fully lumed with a stronger lume or just completely skeletonized. There are also some "blingy" accents however - the frames of the hour markers are polished as is the G-Shock logo and the frames around the LCDs - adds a little elegance to the stealth-look - I like it a lot.
    The solar panels are covered by translucent plastic with the honeycomb pattern also known from the GW-9010 Mudman and a few other solar models.

btw - like on many other G-Shocks the display is designed in such a way that it is best viewed either directly from the top or at a slight angle when wearing it on the left wrist - not a good watch for lefties as the digits can almost disappear when looked at from the other side at an angle. So - for all who dislike negative displays - this watch is probably a NoNo.

A little comparison pic with the GW-2500B (one of my favourite Casio ana-digi G-Shocks):

The GW-2500 looks bigger but that is mainly because of the big metal bezel and different shape - when I put them on top of each other the diameter looks exactly the same - however the GW-2500 is a little higher.
    The AWG-M100 is the nicer 24/7 watch because of the smaller height. Concerning the features it depends on what you want - the GW-2500 has a longer stopwatch but shorter timer (albeit with repeat) - it doesn't beep on mode changes as it has the little function subdial. I prefer the beep as it gives an acoustical feedback while on the GW-2500 you always have to look at the LCD to make sure the timer is running. The GW-2500 has a snooze alarm which the AWG-M100 sadly lacks but you can just set a few alarms in a row if you absolutely "need" the snooze-effect
    The steel buttons are nice on both - the ones on the GW-2500 are a little bigger though. The overall shape of the AWG-M100 is very similar to the G-77XX and they seem to share the same strap (not taking into account the 77XX-models with special straps).

wristshots:

So my final verdict after wearing it for a few days:
    - a nice alternative to the more expensive Aviators IMO
    - the hand-moving feature is probably more useful in normal everyday use than the tough movement
    - stealth factor is really high on the AWG-M100B-1
    - very comfy even after wearing it a few days without taking it off
    - for the ana-digi fans that think the Aviators and GA-models are too big
    - I'd go so far as to say this might even be worn in an office environment because of the design - and I got a compliment on a Swiss watch forum from a hardcore collector of mechanical watches who said "hey, those G-Shocks look quite interesting with hands on them "

cheers, Sedi
    xevious, stevekl, arcata and 2 others like this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Great review - thanks!

Complete review. :D
    Thank you.

Sent from Nexus 4
    Have a nice day

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi, thanks for the review :) really helped me in putting this watch on top of my list at this moment, however there is 1 thing still holding me back, the resin band, now i already read on this forum in some other topics that there is a composite bracelet that would fit this watch.

Now seeing the impressive list in your sig i thought this would be the appropriate topic as well to ask if the composite bracelet fitting this watch is it this one? GW-6900BC Bracelet, Resin - Tiktox ? and will it fit out of the box or are modifications needed before this can be attached?

Thanks in advance.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

^ Unfortunately, the combi-bracelet will not fit this watch because of the mismatched surfaces. The bracelet end piece is flat whereas the strap ends on this watch are slightly curved. But perhaps there is some way to modify it to work...
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    ^ Unfortunately, the combi-bracelet will not fit this watch because of the mismatched surfaces. The bracelet end piece is flat whereas the strap ends on this watch are slightly curved. But perhaps there is some way to modify it to work...
    Ah yeah thanks, i discoverd this as well.

But I also discoverd that in japan they sell the AWG-M100BC-1AJF, as in, this watch with the composite bracelet :) so i ordered that from rakuten.

Thanks

The Shock and the Shocker

Name:  IMG_3968.jpg
Views: 4001
Size:  199.8 KB

Hi there ,

what was the outcome with regards to the composite bracelet bought from rakuten did it fit ,
    I'm desperate to put a bracelet on my AWGM100B so any info would be great

Also , out of curiosity ( my very well be swearing now ) has anyone bought a replica G shock off ioffer , seen reviews on YouTube and thort it may be worth getting one for work which I wouldn't mind getting knocked about or Evan just for shits n giggles

Cheers.

Re: AWG-M100 - review

Nice review Sedi.

I recently got the AWGM100F-1C, (sold at Costco), wish isn't quite as stealthy, having some nice green accents:
    Name:  AWGM100F-1C.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  17.8 KB

I like it very much. As you stated, the only drawbacks I see are when the analog hands block the digital windows at certain times and the digital windows being rather small.
    It has a very comfortable feel to it though.
    Interestingly, it doesn't sync as often (or as well I guess you could say), as my GWM5610-1. Possibly a different antenna setup? They both sit on the same windowsill at night.

Re: AWG-M100 - review

Quote Originally Posted by VR16710 View Post
    Nice review Sedi.

I recently got the AWGM100F-1C, (sold at Costco), wish isn't quite as stealthy, having some nice green accents:
    Name:  AWGM100F-1C.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  17.8 KB

I like it very much. As you stated, the only drawbacks I see are when the analog hands block the digital windows at certain times and the digital windows being rather small.
    It has a very comfortable feel to it though.
    Interestingly, it doesn't sync as often (or as well I guess you could say), as my GWM5610-1. Possibly a different antenna setup? They both sit on the same windowsill at night.
    I like that version - colours seem interesting, plus positive LCDs.

As to the hands and LCDs, there's a feature - you press and hold one of the buttons and it moves the hands out of the way of the LCDs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information