Casio Beside BEM-501L review

Thread: Casio Beside BEM-501L review

Casio Beside BEM-501L review

Didn't know where else to place this review. Eh, I got nothing better to do and I haven't seen a review on here about this watch. So, for archival purposes, here we go.

Got it about a week back. I haven't handled a lot of watches and so I'm sure other folks could definitely give better insight than me, but this is better than nothing right? The face is a bit shiny for my tastes (a bit shinier than let on from the pictures from Casio). Also, originally I thought the long second hand would be the actual second ticker, instead the small dial at the bottom is for real time seconds. The long second hand is for the chronograph. The alignment of the chrono second hand is just a tad wee off, but I seen somewhere you can fix that yourself. The band that comes with it is pretty uncomfortable, so that will need to be replaced. It's hard, which can be expected of a new leather band, but also the metal locking gizmo rests against your wrist and can dig in after a bit, especially if you're resting your wrist on something. The watches depth is a bit more than I expected, but I don't mind it so much. The minute and hour hands have a faint glow in the dark. The day ticker slowly switches days during the early morning hours I assume, but I didn't see any movement from the previous day around 12am or 1am. Starting or resetting the stop watch gives a satisfying click, but when stopping the stop watch, so make sure to press firmly to make sure it's stopped. It's a good average sized watch. Not small, and not one of those trendy huge watches. Don't notice it too much on my wrist when working, although it isn't something I can forget about as easily as my small mechanical Elgin. I thought the band for it was 18mm and ended up buying an 18mm band, but it's a tad bigger (20mm?). The pins for removing the band are spring loaded, so they're not too hard to pop out. It's been keeping good time.

What I like:
    *the layout of the face
    *the styling for the days ticker
    *feels solid
    *doesn't break the bank

What I don't like:
    *i'd like it a bit less shiny
    *the included watch band is uncomfortable
    *would've liked if stopping the stop watch would also make a click

I originally wanted something along the lines of a 70's gold tone chronometer watch with those retro looking chronometer buttons. Those watches look spectacular to me. But, after looking for vintage watches like that on Ebay, they don't come cheap. So, I ended up with this. I chose this because it's very good looking and should last me a long time. I haven't checked out Casio watches for a long time until recently, and they've got some really nice looking watches any more. I used to associate Casio with $20 watches from Wal-Mart, but now I'm coming to appreciate Casio a good bit more.

Taking the pictures with a phone. For pretty pictures of the watch, go here: BEM-501L-7AV - Watches - CASIO

On my wrist. I'm 6'5, so I have a bit larger hands. Still, the diameter isn't much bigger than most average mens watches. Oh, and like I said, the band is a bit small because I thought this watch took 18mm bands from some quick googling. So it's probably like 19 or 20mm. I got the band here on it now in china. It's a bit lighter brown.
    Name:  Photo0084.jpg
Views: 7377
Size:  150.4 KB

Name:  Photo0085.jpg
Views: 10891
Size:  157.3 KB

The watch band that came with it that I took off :) I don't understand why these exist.
    Name:  Photo0088.jpg
Views: 5786
Size:  154.8 KB
    Name:  Photo0093.jpg
Views: 5316
Size:  157.1 KB

Side pictures
    Name:  Photo0090.jpg
Views: 5230
Size:  135.0 KB

Name:  Photo0091.jpg
Views: 5227
Size:  147.5 KB

Am I happy with the watch? Yes, because it's actually a decent quality watch. It isn't going to break any time soon. And it looks good. I just ended up ordering the Casio SGW-300HB tonight also :)

One of these days I'll get a dressy mechanical Omega, a vintage mechanical gold tone chronometer, and some nice every day metal link watch, but until then, I'm just trying to get good looking and good quality watches. :)

Re: Casio Beside BEM-501L review

Hi, I also got this watch and I've been having a problem with the Stop Watch Minute hand & The Stop watch second hand which just stopped moving even after trying to reset them (though the Hour & Minute hands are operational), kindly assist with information on how I can fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse75 View Post

Didn't know where else to place this review. Eh, I got nothing better to do and I haven't seen a review on here about this watch. So, for archival purposes, here we go.

Got it about a week back. I haven't handled a lot of watches and so I'm sure other folks could definitely give better insight than me, but this is better than nothing right? The face is a bit shiny for my tastes (a bit shinier than let on from the pictures from Casio). Also, originally I thought the long second hand would be the actual second ticker, instead the small dial at the bottom is for real time seconds. The long second hand is for the chronograph. The alignment of the chrono second hand is just a tad wee off, but I seen somewhere you can fix that yourself. The band that comes with it is pretty uncomfortable, so that will need to be replaced. It's hard, which can be expected of a new leather band, but also the metal locking gizmo rests against your wrist and can dig in after a bit, especially if you're resting your wrist on something. The watches depth is a bit more than I expected, but I don't mind it so much. The minute and hour hands have a faint glow in the dark. The day ticker slowly switches days during the early morning hours I assume, but I didn't see any movement from the previous day around 12am or 1am. Starting or resetting the stop watch gives a satisfying click, but when stopping the stop watch, so make sure to press firmly to make sure it's stopped. It's a good average sized watch. Not small, and not one of those trendy huge watches. Don't notice it too much on my wrist when working, although it isn't something I can forget about as easily as my small mechanical Elgin. I thought the band for it was 18mm and ended up buying an 18mm band, but it's a tad bigger (20mm?). The pins for removing the band are spring loaded, so they're not too hard to pop out. It's been keeping good time.

What I like:
    *the layout of the face
    *the styling for the days ticker
    *feels solid
    *doesn't break the bank

What I don't like:
    *i'd like it a bit less shiny
    *the included watch band is uncomfortable
    *would've liked if stopping the stop watch would also make a click

I originally wanted something along the lines of a 70's gold tone chronometer watch with those retro looking chronometer buttons. Those watches look spectacular to me. But, after looking for vintage watches like that on Ebay, they don't come cheap. So, I ended up with this. I chose this because it's very good looking and should last me a long time. I haven't checked out Casio watches for a long time until recently, and they've got some really nice looking watches any more. I used to associate Casio with $20 watches from Wal-Mart, but now I'm coming to appreciate Casio a good bit more.

Taking the pictures with a phone. For pretty pictures of the watch, go here: BEM-501L-7AV - Watches - CASIO

On my wrist. I'm 6'5, so I have a bit larger hands. Still, the diameter isn't much bigger than most average mens watches. Oh, and like I said, the band is a bit small because I thought this watch took 18mm bands from some quick googling. So it's probably like 19 or 20mm. I got the band here on it now in china. It's a bit lighter brown.
    Name:  Photo0084.jpg
Views: 7377
Size:  150.4 KB

Name:  Photo0085.jpg
Views: 10891
Size:  157.3 KB

The watch band that came with it that I took off :) I don't understand why these exist.
    Name:  Photo0088.jpg
Views: 5786
Size:  154.8 KB
    Name:  Photo0093.jpg
Views: 5316
Size:  157.1 KB

Side pictures
    Name:  Photo0090.jpg
Views: 5230
Size:  135.0 KB

Name:  Photo0091.jpg
Views: 5227
Size:  147.5 KB

Am I happy with the watch? Yes, because it's actually a decent quality watch. It isn't going to break any time soon. And it looks good. I just ended up ordering the Casio SGW-300HB tonight also :)

One of these days I'll get a dressy mechanical Omega, a vintage mechanical gold tone chronometer, and some nice every day metal link watch, but until then, I'm just trying to get good looking and good quality watches. :)

Thread Information