Casio G-Shock GL-110 series
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Casio G-Shock GL-110 series

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Picture Casio G-Shock GL-110 series

In the year 2000, Casio released a few of their last screw back G-Shocks, outside the "Master of G" line. Among them was a new model in the "G-LIDE" series, the model GL-110. It's kind of a peculiar model in that it looks like a few others in the G-Shock line-up, light on some features and yet possessing one coveted feature seldom found in even modern G-Shocks--showing the time concurrently in both stopwatch and countdown timer modes.

Tribe125 put it best, saying "The GL-110B-3UR, one of those slightly out-of-the-way models that shouts 'Tough old G-Shock' across the room, but leaves you to wonder, 'Yes, but which one?' A bit of generic anonymity can be quite appealing."

Name:  Casio_GL110TC_1.jpg
Views: 8151
Size:  103.6 KB

Incidentally, the G-LIDE series was started in 1999 outside Japan (1998 in Japan) and the name is a combination of the "G-Shock" prefix and Glide. The word "glide" was chosen to represent board related sports, such as gliding on your surfboard or snowboard. Notice the board shaped ellipse surrounding G-LIDE. Certainly these watches can be safely used for any water sport, but the popularity of boarding had the most influence on the series name. Personally, I think it's a limiting name. I'd prefer "Hydro", in a wave icon of some sort. No need to have a "G-" prefix, as it's very clear this watch is a G-Shock. But then, the snowboarders would probably feel left out.

The GL-110 was produced in a variety of models: GL-110B, GL-110V, GL-110AS, GL-110TC, and possibly more. Some were offered with reverse displays. A number of variances occurred in lettering (red, yellow, orange, black), resin (black, blue, white), and bands (resin, fabric).

Two of them were collaborative limited editions for two events: The Air & Style snowboarding event (GL-110AS), and The Triple Crown of Surfing event on the North Shore of Hawaii (GL-110TC). They came with fabric/velcro bands with plastic connector ends labeled for the events.

I didn't know anything about this line prior to acquiring my GL-110TC. I was looking for an older solid screw back G-Shock and wanted something a little thicker/larger than the more common G-2000. Few people seem to know about the GL-110 line, so I faced little bidding competition for it on "that auction site". The band was really badly worn, although still functional, so I'd have to locate a replacement. Unfortunately, the original band can't be bought any longer (if you have a spare one, contact me!). However, there are a few other models that are mostly compatible, so substitutes are available. I'm currently looking into a couple. The unfortunate thing is that the bezel on the GL-110 is rather unique, so a direct replacement can't be found (I thought about going with a black one to match a black band). The closest ones I've seen are the G-100, AWG-100, AWG-101, and MRG-1 (some may require a little trimming).

Visually, it's a very appealing G-Shock. Not just for the thickness and solid heft, but because of the subtle visual touches. The 1st graphical pie-counter is slightly larger than the rest and trimmed with chrome (looks nice, but is hard to read except in bright light). The pie-counters have a bluish background, while the primary LCD contrasts with a gray background. The [P], [24], [SPL], and [Auto] markers are in white text that disappear in the view, but are nicely visible when a black LCD segment appears behind them for indication. Also, G-SHOCK and SHOCK RESIST are engraved in the steel ring, rather than imprinted upon the resin bezel as seen in many modern G-Shocks (probably done to cut costs). The G-LIDE emblem is raised, rather than simply painted onto the dial face. Here are some views of the watch, both with and without the bezel:

Name:  Casio_GL110TC_2.jpg
Views: 6833
Size:  108.9 KB
    Name:  Casio_GL110TC_4.jpg
Views: 6699
Size:  104.9 KB
    Name:  Casio_GL110TC_3.jpg
Views: 6694
Size:  78.0 KB
    Name:  Casio_GL110TC_5.jpg
Views: 17308
Size:  89.5 KB
    Name:  Casio_GL110TC_4a.jpg
Views: 6679
Size:  126.0 KB
    Name:  Casio_GL110TC_5a.jpg
Views: 8222
Size:  100.4 KB
    Name:  Casio_GL110TC_6.jpg
Views: 6663
Size:  99.9 KB
    (this shot looks much better than reality, as the back has numerous fine scratches, though still looks good)

Functionally, there's not a lot to say really. It has the 2261 module (sharing the same functionality with the 2161, and 2251; the 2161 is in the G-2000). The functionality appears similar to the 1545 module found on the DW-5600E. One alarm, one stop watch (24 hrs), and one countdown timer (24 hrs). The alarm beep tone is about as loud as the DW-5600E. It is new enough to have the nice beep tone change when returning to the time display, after cycling through the modes. The LCD display is one of the best features. The smallish time digits are bold, crisp, and very easy to read. The backlight is super bright (even after 11 years of use) and like the 1545 has the option to light up when the alarm or CDT alert goes off. But where this watch really shines is in it's feeling and appearance. It's a VERY solid watch. Chunky and substantial, without being overdone. I imagine the iconic DW-5600C feels similar in weight. I'm glad I got the GL-110. Once I find an appropriate band/bracelet, it'll definitely be in my G-Shock daily rotation.
    Last edited by xevious; October 24th, 2011 at 18:57.
    Morteza, ThomAsio, Sjors and 7 others like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Inactive

Re: Casio G-Shock GL-110 series

Nice review, and good to hear about a not-so-well-known, yet great watch. Actually, I wouldnt mind swapping my DW-5600C in execellent condition for a ditto GL-110, if I got the chance...

Thanks, Thom. :) The EL backlight is quite superior to the old bulb light on the earlier models. It pretty much squashed my desire for an original DW-5600. Of course, the GW-5000 has it and looks terrific.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I now have 3 of these. The first GL-110TC I bought came with a tattered band, that I didn't photograph for the original post. Here's what it looks like:

Nasty wear, eh? The material is some kind of cotton blend, very comfortable but not designed to withstand the rigors of salt water exposure.

I was able to remove the pin in the adapter, to detach the band. The band width is 22mm, with the pin holder part being 14mm. So basically, if you can find a thick enough band (about 3mm thick), you can trim the end so it'll fit inside the holder, and essentially end up with a workable replacement to the original. My first attempts to get the pins out failed, so I assumed they weren't removable without destroying the ends. I then ordered strap adapters and a substitute band. Before they arrived, I tried once more to get the pin out, and it worked. It just required more force, as it's designed to snap into place. I bought a 2 piece nato strap that may work with the original adapters.

Here's what the watch looks like with the replacement band:

As you can see, the gray nylon mesh part matches pretty well to the gray dial. The band is comfortable and quite sturdy. The band adapters from Casio were the right width, but did not fit. At first, it looked like all I needed to do was trim the part that was pushing up against the curved case back, but that did not work. I ended up having to do quite a bit of trimming, which was very frustrating. FINALLY, the pins snapped into place after a long and tedious struggle. Thankfully the trimming didn't weaken the adapters, so they should hold up well. I'd like to try re-using the original adapters, but I'm reticent to remove the trimmed Casio adapters, though. They were really difficult to get into place.

The bezel on this watch is a little beat up, with a few nicks/gouges, but over all looks good. I ended up getting yet another GL-110TC, which came with a proper band in great condition. The band surface is a satin finish cotton twill fabric over a synthetic core strap with padded spots and velcro loop closure. Very comfortable and versatile in adjustment. And then as luck would have it, another GL-110 appeared (not the TC version) with a black bezel. Based on what I had read about it (thanks to Sjors), I really wanted this one and got lucky in my bidding. It has a reverse LCD backlight, which looks very cool. And so... now I've got a nice little collection of this series. The GL-110 is a terrific watch that looks good and has the benefit of EL backlight and screw case back. I like having one to knock around with and not worry much about, with two pristine examples for safe keeping.

Some additional notes:
    The inner bezel on the black version is brushed steel instead of chromed steel. It looks really nice, but I like both types. The black GL-110 has a reverse LCD back-light, which I find more readable in dim light... but the EL back-light on the GL-110TC is very bright, more than most G's I presently own. The original band on my first GL-110TC is clearly tan in appearance, yet the 2nd GL-110TC came with a dark band. It looks like the one that originally came on the black GL-110TC, and it's in fact darker than the medium gray one that came on my black GL-110. I'm tempted to switch the bands, as I think it may suit both watches a little better. And now that I know how to remove the adapters, I can make sure the TC ones stay with the GL-110TC. I've also been tempted to swap the buttons. As you may have noticed, the black one has light colored buttons while the white one has black buttons. Switching them would create an interesting monotone appearance from the sides. But then, it wouldn't be as originally intended. And actually, I kind of like the contrast. Also, with the white one, the black buttons match the black strap adapters, helping to make the look more natural.
    Last edited by xevious; December 7th, 2011 at 18:58.
    Morteza and Chrisek like this.

I have been looking for the band that is on your post that has the watch on the wrist. The one that is a single strap that has a nylon middle section with the plastic ends, but I have not been able to find one. Where do you order them from?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin.Magoffin View Post
    I have been looking for the band that is on your post that has the watch on the wrist. The one that is a single strap that has a nylon middle section with the plastic ends, but I have not been able to find one. Where do you order them from?
    The band is for a DW-9050B Baby-G G-Shock, also suitable for DW-6900S, DW-6900BD, DW-002BD, DW-003X, and any other watch that has the Casio strap adapters. The seller I bought it from is on eBay (athruzcloseouts). They don't list this band any longer, but from what I saw there were 7 in the inventory left before the auction closed. He may have more but just hasn't yet put them up on auction again. Hope this helps you...

I added a tutorial on how to do another replacement strap option: GL-110 Zulu strap. This turned out even better than the strap adapters with single piece NATO strap.

Just a little more eye candy to show, now that I've added a few more to my collection.

Name:  Casio_GL-110_line-up1.jpg
Views: 6249
Size:  178.1 KB
    Name:  Casio_GL-110_line-up4.jpg
Views: 5267
Size:  167.7 KB
    Name:  Casio_GL-110_line-up3.jpg
Views: 5196
Size:  156.6 KB
    Name:  Casio_GL-110_line-up2.jpg
Views: 5215
Size:  131.9 KB
    Morteza, godizded, Chrisek and 2 others like this.

As I mentioned earlier, the GL-110 had two special editions: The Triple Crown of Surfing (TC) and the Air & Style (AS). The TC seems to be much more common than the AS. I finally found an AS and really like the color combination, plus the A&S emblem they made for it. It was issued to commemorate a huge snowboarding event, the "world's biggest" according to CASIO Japan. I have no idea where or when it was held.

Name:  Casio_GL-110-AS2.jpg
Views: 7159
Size:  255.6 KB
    Name:  Casio_GL-110-AS1.jpg
Views: 5731
Size:  230.4 KB
    (the sticker is still on the back, so that's why it doesn't look very clear)
    godizded likes this.

On modern G-Shocks, most metal looking inner bezels are plastic coated in a simulated metal or chrome material. However, some are metal or titanium depending upon the model (like the GW-2310 and GW-9100 Gulfman). The "inner bezel" on the GL-110 is not a separate piece, but part of the stainless steel casing. In some cases, it is polished steel but for others it is brushed. I like how it is an integrated part of the watch. This model so typifies the saying "They don't make 'em like they used to."
    CanonMan likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information