First impressions of a cheap Casio.
Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By justadad
  • 1 Post By mpalmer
  • 1 Post By Edinburgh1066
  • 1 Post By rotbaer

Thread: First impressions of a cheap Casio.

First impressions of a cheap Casio.

Well, as I posted in the WRUW thread today I went in to Wal-Mart to buy 2 quarts of motor oil and walked out with a $10 Casio clearance quartz watch! I couldn't resist! It just looks so stinkin retro. Anyway, I am an automatic guy by proclamation but have a few quartz in my box. But no digital until last night. This is my first digital since I was probably 10 years old! Don't get me wrong, I'm not a watch snob. I certainly don't have the income for that title but I will say I still refer an auto by a long shot. BUT this watch was a lot of fun! I still don't know how to set more than the time and make sure it doesn't beep incessantly during the course of a day but I kinda dig it nonetheless. A few pics:
    It's hard to get used to the digital display and here is why for me: when someone asks (and it happened fairly early today) what time it was I had to say "It's 9:37". Now usually I would say "9:40" or "20 till" with my analog but it seemed harder to approximate for some reason. It was indeed exactly 9:37. I also missed having the visual cue of the future or elapsed time with a digital. It simply IS 9:37, as if there has been no time passed and none forthcoming. It sounds weird but I really missed those aspects of my watch. It's also VERY light weight! I have always liked a weighty watch and there were times (yep, pun intended) that I had to look and make sure I still had it on! And I did. Every time!

That said, it was still tons of fun and I will be wearing it more I'm sure. Probably the gateway Casio! I totally dig the retro 70's style and simplicity. I hope it's ok I posted this here but as it was sorta a first for me I had to tell someone and my wife already thinks all this is ridiculous!!!

So.................as you were!
    Mike K, lovebandit, Rocat and 4 others like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Re: First impressions of a cheap Casio.

I like that one. It's sort of like a vintage watch in a geeky sort way. Congrats!
    justadad likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    I like that one. It's sort of like a vintage watch in a geeky sort way. Congrats!
    Thanks! Can't beat $10! Well, not by much anyway!!
    Using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like it. You may have begun your descent of a slippery slope though :)
    justadad likes this.

I understand what you are saying. I am used to watches with anolog display too. Now I got myself a g 9200 riseman and I have to relearn and to rethink reading a watch. It is somehow harder to get a position on the thread of time.
    Btw. I like your watch (the geeky style) and have seen it in Germany for about 30 €. I am thinking about one too, because it provides several world time settings which would come handy for me. (And ist not so bulky so it would fit under a shirtsleeve.)
    Last edited by rotbaer; February 22nd, 2015 at 19:41.
    justadad likes this.

Nice inexpensive Casio that is packed full of features. BTW, you need to slap pictures of it in this thread. A lot of us, and I mean, a lot of us have this one or a variation of it in our collection.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/dig...le-939510.html

Quote Originally Posted by justadad View Post
    Well, as I posted in the WRUW thread today I went in to Wal-Mart to buy 2 quarts of motor oil and walked out with a $10 Casio clearance quartz watch! I couldn't resist! It just looks so stinkin retro. Anyway, I am an automatic guy by proclamation but have a few quartz in my box. But no digital until last night. This is my first digital since I was probably 10 years old! Don't get me wrong, I'm not a watch snob. I certainly don't have the income for that title but I will say I still refer an auto by a long shot. BUT this watch was a lot of fun! I still don't know how to set more than the time and make sure it doesn't beep incessantly during the course of a day but I kinda dig it nonetheless. A few pics:
    It's hard to get used to the digital display and here is why for me: when someone asks (and it happened fairly early today) what time it was I had to say "It's 9:37". Now usually I would say "9:40" or "20 till" with my analog but it seemed harder to approximate for some reason. It was indeed exactly 9:37. I also missed having the visual cue of the future or elapsed time with a digital. It simply IS 9:37, as if there has been no time passed and none forthcoming. It sounds weird but I really missed those aspects of my watch. It's also VERY light weight! I have always liked a weighty watch and there were times (yep, pun intended) that I had to look and make sure I still had it on! And I did. Every time!

That said, it was still tons of fun and I will be wearing it more I'm sure. Probably the gateway Casio! I totally dig the retro 70's style and simplicity. I hope it's ok I posted this here but as it was sorta a first for me I had to tell someone and my wife already thinks all this is ridiculous!!!

So.................as you were!
    Casio/ Citizen/Garmin /G-Shock/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Nice inexpensive Casio that is packed full of features. BTW, you need to slap pictures of it in this thread. A lot of us, and I mean, a lot of us have this one or a variation of it in our collection.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/dig...le-939510.html
    I might just do that! I haven't worn it that much because it's hard to get past of my auto love but it's worth a fling!!!!
    Using Tapatalk

Thread Information