GDF100's
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: GDF100's

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GDF100's

Name:  DSC00236.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  361.4 KB

I first found out about this watch on BrendanSilent's thread Stealthiest factory G-Shock ever? and thought I'd give it a shot as it looked pretty amazing. This is an odd watch, it is one of the most blatantly non-symmetrical (besides the frog) yet noone loves it or hates it. There have been some questions about it and thought I would clear them up. First and foremost is size.

This is one of the "XL" family so dimensions are very similar (if not exact) to the GA/GD 100/110/120/150/200/201/etc. At the same time I thought a group photo to other G's could be useful.

Name:  DSC00267.jpg
Views: 2278
Size:  506.0 KB

This shot isn't meant to be a great detail shot, more of the outlines of the bezel of various G's. From left to right: G6900kg-3, GDF100BTN, GA110RG-7, GDF100-4, Riseman (G9200GY), GDF100BB, and a square (G5600KG-3). I wear my watches on my left wrist, so the nub doesn't bug me at all. I have a 7.5" wrist and love the XL's in general, I think they hit a sweet spot for me of price vs fun vs function. And yes, I like negative displays. If you have not owned one before, I still suggest you see AT LEAST ONE G-Shock Negative display in person before you purchase! OK, that 20 page thread diverted let's continue on
    Last edited by Chrisek; January 24th, 2013 at 21:31.
    casiopro, lvt and domoon like this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Re: GDF100's

Functions.

So what does it do? It's actually pretty cool. To start with, it shows current time in all modes though this watch usually isn't brought up in most of those threads. Again, this watch is usually overlooked for some reason. Don't believe me? Hang out and keep reading, I'll show you.

It uses the module 3255 so this can give you more specifics. For the overview let's just start with the Timekeeping screen. I'll be using the Red one for these photos so you can see where the bezel is relative to the screen.

Name:  DSC00246.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  370.0 KB

Next mode is Barometer. Oh, let me catch up here. This is a two sensor Altimeter and Thermometer (A & B but not C watch) and reads the altitude by way of Barometric pressure. I'm not going to get into the accuracy of these functions on this watch other than to say that if your life depends on them being correct, you should have a dedicated device for it.

Name:  DSC00260.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  345.6 KB

Top left is the current time (this will stay the same through all the modes). Below that it says "Baro" and is using the graph. Underneath the word is the pressure (1018 hPa in this case). Unfortunately the # is close to the actual time so they are easily confused on this photo. Underneath is the Temperature (in C on my watch). Next up: World Time.

Name:  DSC00263.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  352.3 KB

Again, current time in upper left with the World Time (Berlin in this case) in the main screen. OK, time for the non-belivers to see this: stopwatch mode.

Name:  DSC00264.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  347.2 KB

Time in the top left, as promised! . Similar in Count Down Timer mode.

Name:  DSC00265.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  369.7 KB

And the alarm mode has 5 alarms and a snooze (?).

Name:  DSC00266.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  365.4 KB
    Last edited by Chrisek; January 24th, 2013 at 10:03.
    Kawei and domoon like this.

More pictures? Cool, I like seeing them as well.Let's start off with my first one: the Blackout (BB). It's name is GDF100BB, and I like to comment that is sucks the light out of the room but the fact is that it is such a big blob of stealth on your wrist that everyone notices it

Name:  DSC00278.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  452.6 KB

See what I mean? Aesthetically, the only gripe I've heard about this watch is the buckle. "What do you mean?" Let me show you:

Name:  DSC00240.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  317.4 KB

NOT stealth. Flub, but minor kind. OK, let me re-focus.

Name:  DSC00239.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  390.2 KB

One interesting thing to me is the caseback, on this one in particular. For whatever reason it has the full name "GDF-100BB" unlike the other normal versions of this watch (umm, foreshadowing anyone?). Can't read it?

Name:  DSC00241.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  354.1 KB

The watch is obviously stealthed over the bezel, even the side with the sensor

Name:  DSC00245.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  300.8 KB

OK, at this point I do have other photos of this watch, but I'm not one to fool myself. Tanaka does a much better job than I ever will. Go to the fridge, get a snack and a tasty beverage, then click here. Enjoy!
    Kawei, TedDotCom and domoon like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

RED. This watch brings it.

Name:  DSC00277.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  412.2 KB

You've alrady seen a few photos of this one and will see a few more, so I'll cut to the chase and bring in Tanaka.

You may want to re-load your beverage and snack before clicking it though!
    gripmaster, Kawei and domoon like this.

There are 3 versions (at this time) of the watch I do not own. As mentioned before, the XL's in general are negative display heavy in the line-up. If you are into positive displays, Casio threw you a bone.

Name:  201107171618312869.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  77.2 KB

The very first GDF I saw was the GDF100-1B

Name:  GDF-100-1B_3.jpg
Views: 3579
Size:  20.7 KB

Very "MS" on the module as far as coloring goes. Almost the Men In Rusty Black as far as the Bezel. Once again, Tanaka captured it well.

And the last one is the black and gold GDF100GB. Not to be confused with a Black & Tan, but maybe you poured yourself one of those to watch these Tanaka videos with!

Name:  20120430_bbbecd.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  86.3 KB

I have seen these in person, and don't think the picture captures it well. Not saying it is for everybody, but at least represent it well. Tanaka got it right.
    gripmaster, Kawei and domoon like this.

BURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBU RTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURT ONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTONBURTON

There, I said it.

Name:  DSC00279.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  395.1 KB

This one is kind of weird. No, not the watch (because it is cool), the collaboration, the choice of watch to use, and the timing. Let me explain.

The GDF100 just seemed kind of "dead" by mid-summer. From what I understand, they didn't sell all that well over time, people on the forums certainly didn't go ga-ga, and you rarely see them on the street or on a given campus ( I walk through University of Hawaii - Manoa almost weekly. 50,000+ students, lots of G-Shocks, and still haven't seen one of these on campus unless I'm wearing it.) Casio had gone on to make quite a few more XL's (and are still knocking out new versions of it almost monthly at this time) so when this collab was announced it was genuinely a surprise!

While the announcement was well received (at least here, where it matters ) with hindsight it is even more weird. Casio released the GLS-100 in what, November '12? December? This is a winter specific watch, and Burton happens to be a snowboarding company (and gear). Oh, and it is good looking. This could have (should?) easily been the collaboration instead.

Timing. Umm, this watch (GDF100) isn't new. They could have set it up for the beginning of snowboard season or more Christmas (In the US it was pretty much January).

Instead it has turned into a hit. Once again proving I don't know much at all . It shot up past the 30th Anniversary Eric Haze GA-110EH-8 (A very good looking watch in my eyes) in price in about a week. Seriously.

So let's hit this one backwards. Easy killer, easy. I just mean Tanaka first, then pics.

Tanaka rocking the Burton

Ok, let's get into this because there is a lot different. First, I'm not used to a partially stealthed bezel. I'm sure it's been done before, but I didn't notice.

Name:  DSC00251.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  296.5 KB

See what I mean? Also, I think this watch previews the color combination of the 2nd wave of the 30th Anniversary: Initial Blue. I might be wrong (like normal about these things) but it does look similar to the pictures. Back to the stealthing, they didn't stealth the sensor.

Name:  DSC00253.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  304.8 KB

Remember how I said it was odd about the "normal" casebacks? Well, the Burton definitely isn't normal. I know you noticed it in the video, but here is a still shot.

Name:  DSC00257.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  388.7 KB

While we've got it on it's face, let me show you exactly what the BB is missing.

Name:  DSC00255.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  354.1 KB

Bam! Black buckle! If only Casio would re-issue the BB. I'd be OK with it costing $5 more. Notice the strap holder? It is the first time I've seen a fabric one.

Name:  DSC00256.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  385.1 KB

Also the tip is covered in it as well. Here is a better shot:

Name:  DSC00259.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  480.1 KB

It also shows the exterior black part of the band nicely. The blue fabric wraps around the inside of the band on both sides as well.

Name:  DSC00258.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  399.5 KB

The Burton is definitely a collector. It's own tin and box, etc. But every review you read, it is all about the band. If you wear your watches, you will enjoy it. I like the band a lot, and it is very comfortable.

The other surprising piece about the Burton is how much attention it has brought back to the GDF's in general. In this aspect alone it shows the marketing brilliance of Limited Editions/collabs/halo products when done right.

Yeah, the Burton rocks.
    Last edited by Chrisek; January 24th, 2013 at 09:22.
    Kawei, Alireza, TedDotCom and 1 others like this.

Ever wondered how the GDF100 compares to the Riseman? I mean they are both "A, B, and definitely not C" watches. Oh never mind, bad ProTrek joke.

Lets start with the size bulk.

Name:  DSC00268.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  378.4 KB

I still only have one Riseman at this time, so I've picked the Red GDF again for contrast. First and foremost let me get this out of the way: The Riseman is simply a great watch. Well loved on WUS since it's introduction, there is tons of feedback and information here on the forum. I'm not writing a review of that watch here, more of a factual note of the differences of two watches.

Now let's look at the thickness:

Name:  DSC00269.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  349.2 KB

What does this comparison mean in real life? I can wear the Riseman under the cuff of a button up dress shirt. Not the GDF. Pros and cons to everything.

Point number 2: The Riseman is a "Master of G" and the GDF isn't.

What does that mean? a lot of different things. The Riseman is either solar or solar and atomic. The GDF is neither. All I'll say on this topic is: No, solar batteries DO NOT LAST FOREVER. It's all personal preference, but it is also a showcase of technology.

Even the clasps are obvious, and mine is the "normal" G9200GY which means the clasp isn't titanium.

Name:  DSC00271.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  324.4 KB

The bands are also quite different. The GDF is more of a "plank of plastic" here where the Riseman is more 3D and textured. Not the carbon reinforced one of the GW9200 either. And not talking about the Burton here.

Name:  DSC00273.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  362.4 KB

While neither is a screwback, there are still obvious differences here as well.

Name:  DSC00272.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  417.9 KB

And while they are both Barometric models, a simply fantastic feature of the Riseman (if you live at altitude or stormy areas) is the "eye" which shows the trends of the pressure.

Name:  DSC00275.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  299.6 KB

And finally a wrist shot of the Riseman for comparison.

Name:  DSC00281.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  416.5 KB

Hope you enjoyed the read!

Great write up and comparison!
    Chrisek likes this.
    Omega Speedmaster Pro | Deep Blue Pro Diver | Deep Blue Master 1000
    Casio G-Shock GW-1000 "Frogman" | Casio G-Shock GW9200 "Riseman"
    Casio G-Shock GW7900 | Casio G-Shock G-93000 "Mudman"

Very well written. Nice pics! just had a burton in my hand today at a Macy's. They wouldn't let me try it on bc its a limited edition. Nice watch just not sure if I wanted it. How well does that fabric strap dry if it gets wet? I really love the look of the burton and the gls-100's but the fabric straps make me wonder. My watches usually stay on my wrist for showers.
    Chrisek likes this.

Thank you Jeffrey and Vdubz!

@Vdubz: I don't wear my watches in the shower so I don't have a good answer for you. I can tell you most of Casio's low temp watch are on cloth or leather (plastic goes brittle?) so I think they are OK getting wet. What aspect of the strap getting wet worries you? Once I know what to look for, I can check it out for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information