The Genius of the GW-2310
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rjr

Thread: The Genius of the GW-2310

rjr

The Genius of the GW-2310

I recently purchased the GW2310 and would like to share some thoughts about this jem of a G-Shock:

(1) World Time: First of all, it does show home-time and world-time together. In home-time, push the top right button, and the world-time comes up above the home-time. Now this is a great feature, which gives you the best of both worlds. A quick push of a button in home time mode will swap the month-date for world time. Or, if you are traveling and don't want to reset the home-time to the new location, just go to world-time and there you have the time, month, and date all there, just as if you were still in home-time mode. I don't know of any other G-Shocks that show the month and date in the world-time mode.

(2) Stop Watch: I have read complaints that the current time isn't displayed in the stop watch and timer modes, like some other G-Shock models. I think a simple explanation for this is because, in stop watch mode, the most important thing for the watch to be doing is acting like a great stop watch, which will keep giving you 1/100ths of a second lapsed, even after the first hour has past. As a highly accurate stopwatch, the ability to measure 100ths of a second as long as the stop watch is running is more important than simultaneously showing the current time.

(3) Timer: Similarly, in terms of the functionality of a countdown timer, it is more important to see the set countdown time and the minutes remaining, to make a quick calculation of how many minutes have past, than to show the current time. Like the world-time and the stopwatch mode, the countdown timer is keeping its mind on the job at hand - being the most informative countdown timer it can be.

(4) Alarm: Again, the alarm is telling you what you want to know. Generally, I want to know what time it is now, while I set the alarm for later. For example, "Okay, it's 12:30am now, and I want to get up at 6:30am ..."

(5) Auto sleep: It goes into sleep mode after sitting still for an hour - great power saving feature.

The watch's two biggest drawbacks - and they are significant ones, are the alarm volume and the band. For a tough looking watch boasting 5 alarms and a countdown timer, I would have expected the alarm volume to be a lot louder than the demure little squeak that it is. Also, the band is a lot stiffer than my other G-Shocks.

As for the alarm, I can only comfort myself with the knowledge that most of the other G-Shocks suffer from the same problem. The DW-6500E is a little better, and the W-71 is much much louder, but the trade off of features is too much for me. Besides, after a few weeks I'm getting used to the alarm, and I'm starting to notice it more, even with some background noise.

And as for the strap, I'm getting used to that too after a few weeks. Although, just as a stereo is only as good as its speakers, a watch is only as good as its band. So, I bought some adapters and a maratac 24mm 2 ring zulu. Looking forward to them arriving in the mail soon. (Unfortunately, the 2300 specific adapters in black are not so easy to find. Tiktox and some other retailers have the adapters in a silver/grey color, but not a black that matches the watch case. I think these black adapters went out of production with the G2300)

All the best.
    xevious and buddhashenglong like this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Re: The Genius of the GW-2310

It's a good hearty "work horse" G-Shock, IMHO. I like to think of it as an evolution inspired from the G-2000 model (similar design and LCD layout). I've got the lesser twin, the G-2310 (solar, but no atomic). I got it for a terrific price used. Yes, the alarm is not all that loud... and kind of a bugger with many G-Shocks, when you think about it. The operating environment where a G-Shock is worn is often going to be noisy... and if you can't hear the alarm, what good is it? There are some models that were successful at producing a decent decibel level, like the G-3010/3011. So, Casio proved they could do it... why not continue in that tradition? Seriously. I just don't understand it, unless they are truly just negligent. Vibration alarms are a good idea, but of course if you're doing heavy duty physical activity, you may not feel it.

The two things that bug me about the G-2310 is the full year on display (seriously, NOT NEEDED ever; a human being should know what the damned year is), and how some indicators (like PM) are so incredibly small. AM/PM is not a big deal, as it's usually something you automatically know, but it's important to pay attention to when setting an alarm.

I think the same band is used with the GW-2310/G-2310, at least as far as I can tell from photos. It's a band that was used on a number of other G-Shock models for a while. It's one of the better ones, IMHO. Maybe you need to wear yours more, and that may help break it in (conforming to the curve of your wrist). Mine came with a rather prominent arc already, probably from the previous owner. It fits comfortably.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Curiously, Casio has been continuing to release more variations of the G/GW-2310/2300. There is now a G-2310R, which has some minor updates. First, the year is no longer displayed (thankfully). Second, it appears the alarm may be a little louder. And finally, the power reserve has been extended up to 11 months. I now have the G-2300EB, which appears to have a similar module, except for the lack of atomic sync.

Another variant is the GW-2300F, which simply has a red inner bezel and red "G" on the illumination button. Apparently the same functionality.

Finally, there is another variation that is mostly black with a black inner bezel, the GW-2310BD. This one appears to be a JDM release and fetches rather high prices. All because of blackout resin and a black IP inner bezel. For the going prices, you're better off with a GW-9300GB!
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

SchwandaTheBagpiper

I own a GW2310-1 and am very happy with it.

I have a GW-2310 which I've been daily-wearing for work since October of last year. It's perfect.

+ Solar/Atomic, always stays on high since i work outside, syncs every night... that I wear it on my wrist! Set it on the table, no sync.
    + Backlight: adjustable to 1.5 or 3 seconds, auto EL, no logo in background to distract.
    + Price: I paid around 80 bucks for mine at a big box on black friday. That is faintly ridiculous for what you get.
    + World timer: like OP, i love that a press of the REV button shows world time on home screen.
    + CDT, 5 alarms, STW: love the multiple alarms, use the CDT every day, stopwatch is great and legible since it's on the big portion of the LCD

- The band. God. The keeper doesn't keep anything, except it keeps driving me nuts that it floats around and doesn't keep the band. Not worth keeping. LOL.
    - Auto EL is way over-aggressive. I guess it's great it works, but I can't leave it on at night since it'll literally wake me up.
    - Alarms are too quiet. Again, OP mentioned this: just not loud enough if you're in a noisy environment.

Otherwise, I love it, and don't see why it doesn't get more love here.
    Hey, What time is it?
    Current: G9300-1, GBX6900B-1
    Want list: GW9400, GWM5610, PRW-(S)3100, PRW-3510, GWG-1000, GWN-1000, GWF-1000

^ There must be some variants in production batches then. I find the EL back light on mine to be just right (not too dim, not too bright). And the band has a softer resin quality to it than the standard G-2310, which makes it more comfortable to wear. Perhaps your keeper is warped or something. I find mine keeps itself in position throughout the whole day.

Thanks for this review, it helped me decide to buy one.

Thread Information