Giez GS1100-1AER
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CommanderJameson

Thread: Giez GS1100-1AER

Giez GS1100-1AER

I needed a present. So I bought myself one.

I've eschewed digital altogether, but I need a tough, robust watch for work and dog-walking and so on. The Monster is tough, but it ain't that tough. There are times when only a G-Shock will do.

I've been eyeing up the Giez line for a while. The one I've chosen is solar powered and radio-controlled - I've come to the conclusion that if one has a quartz, one might as well have an absolutely* accurate one, and I can't be bothered with changing batteries. I like honest watches, and I prefer in-house movements. The Giez is both. Unashamedly outwardly technical, and actually very clever - it has five motors driving the hands (one for the hour/minute hands, one for the chrono hand, and one for each sub-dial) and shock-protecting that lot is no mean feat. It's got the usual array of features - alarm, world time, day and date, chronograph with 1/20th of a second accuracy.

I normally shy away from crowded dials, but I like this one:

One thing that should be mentioned is the strap and buckle. The strap is incredibly soft and comfortable, and the buckle itself is well-finished and substantial.

f you're not a nerd or you're impatient, getting this watch into the correct home timezone will send you mad (For example: press Adjust for 5 secs, the second hand moves to the current home TZ; press Reset to advance it to the next, and the hands whirl to the right time. Repeat until you're at the one you want. Then perform a manual receive: press Adjust for 3 secs and put the watch in a window, and as if by magic it gets the right time and whirls the hands to the right time. For me, all this is hypnotic. For some people, it'd be clobberin' time).

Fit and finish is very good. The watch has a satisfying weight (at 95 grammes, it's about half what my PO weighs; this is still substantial) and it feels very solid. 200 metres water-resistance means that it won't have to come off in the shower, or when swimming, or when diving to the bottom of the bath. It's a big watch, but wears a little smaller than it looks off the wrist - where it does ride a little high.

It's not for everyone, of course; Casio is a name that, for most people, evokes visions of crappy calculators and tacky keyboards (with a "Rumba" pre-set drum beat, natch). I think that for The Man On The Clapham Omnibus, there's no cachet in the brand at all. Not a watch you'd buy to impress anyone (other than adenoidal nerds like me). Using the watch - say, to set the alarm - is not intuitive and a little time-consuming, as you have to wait for the hands to whirl around. An analogue quartz watch that comes with a 62-page manual is bound to have a lot of complexity.

It's a great watch. I'm glad I took the plunge and bought it.

*Well, for "absolutely accurate", read "accurate to 500ms at all times", which, for normal human beings, is the same thing
    Paul Dan likes this.

Re: Giez GS1100-1AER

Question Re: Giez GS1100-1AER

what u mean with radio control??
    can u explain it?
    Last edited by liodw; March 31st, 2010 at 11:17.

Thread Information