GLS100's
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: GLS100's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GLS100's

Attachment 999797

Let's just start with this: The GLS100's are Winter G-Lides. "What does that mean?" Instead of moon phase (although that could be really useful) or tide graph functions, it is more physical differentiation. Low-temp modules, non-resin bands, etc. This technology isn't new and Casio has been doing this kind of stuff for a while. There are four watches in this series, I'll take a page from Clement Wong here (if you don't know, he is the BOMB for seeing upcoming G-Shocks!):

Attachment 999809

As you can see, I've received 3 of them. That white one also seems like a good looking piece (some people's favorite actually) with features similar to the one I'll call "blue" here though it is black with blue accents. The module is 3402 which has some interesting features. Double thousand hour stopwatch with auto-repeat. One nice thing is that it uses the "eye candy" portion of the face to keep track while you are in normal timekeeping mode. The Countdown timer is 24hr, set-able to the minute. Again with auto-repeat feature. The alarms seem to have a wide array of flexibility from hourly chime, to date + time, to only ring out in one month, etc. I don't think any of these are new features, but if they are important to you, click on the module link and see if it works for you.

I'm not going to make any pretentions of un-biased, showing no personal opinions, facts only so you can make your own judgement on these watches. I love them, so read my impressions accordingly. You have been warned!
    Last edited by Chrisek; March 8th, 2013 at 00:20.
    Kawei likes this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Re: GLS100's

The blue one. GLS-100-1. This shares the same features as the white one, GLS-100-7 other than coloration of course.

Inside

Attachment 999842

and out:

Attachment 999818

I've taken some shots indoors and outdoors for variation, and so you can see these under different conditions. For the straight up studio high quality stuff, there is always Tanaka. They liked them so much, they got them all. The Blue GLS100-1 and the white GLS100-7. OK, on with the pictures.

The strap on this one is thick. insulated or just foam I'm unsure.

Attachment 999822

And then the strap is sewn up.

Attachment 999829

Now here is a look at the holes so you can see the thickness and the foam

Attachment 999833

Oh, did you think the strap was black?

Attachment 999834

It's really a subtle tone on tone camo! I took a photo of it in the sun as well.

Attachment 999837

The buckle side. I'm not sure what they made the keeper out of, but it is different, and is also on all four.

Attachment 999839

Another sun shot

Attachment 999841

And finally, a wrist shot:

Attachment 999843

I like this one a lot, however that strap is simply too warm at sunny and 80 degrees. It made my wrist sweat like never before! Should I move to someplace where I can appreciate it more (Durango?) I'm sure it will be the bees knees for me.

Next, let's rock the green. GLS-100-3.

Inside shot.

Attachment 999846

And out

Attachment 999847

As you can see, green is not limited to an accent color here! Tanaka showed this one well. Just a good looking, attractive watch. Because all of these share the case with the GD100 and GA100, you may recognize the buttons:

Attachment 999849

Now the Green and Brown went a different way with the bands. Almost a straight up cordura.

Attachment 999851

I love the metal rivets for two reasons. 1) of course they look cool! . 2) If you have had another watch with a fabric band, it sucks to wear it with the buckle accidentally through the band instead of through the hole. This should genuinely keep that "loose thread" look to a minimum. I also like the contrast of materials with the strap end.

Attachment 999852

And in the sun. Yes, it does glisten! I think the threads of the "cordura" have some plastic in them? In any case cool effect! See the backside of the band a little? I'll come back to it on the brown watch.

Attachment 999854

Surprisingly the keeper goes OK with this band material as well. Let me show the clasp in use

Attachment 999857

Which brings me to the wrist shot.

Attachment 999859
    Last edited by Chrisek; March 8th, 2013 at 00:44.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The brown. This one is like a Hershey's chocolate bar! GLS-100-5.

Inside

Attachment 999867

And out

Attachment 999868

And as mentioned previously, same materials as the green one. Tanaka can show you as well.

Attachment 999869

And once again, I love how the band catches the light.

Attachment 999873

See that inside of the band? It is like a synthetic mouse fur or something.

Attachment 999872

Because of the "fur" this one also makes my wrist sweat in 80F+ weather. Not as bad as the blue one, but more for dawn/dusk/night time.

Attachment 999875

And the buckle side of the strap

Attachment 999876

The buckle in use

Attachment 999877

And the wrist shot

Attachment 999879
    Last edited by Chrisek; March 8th, 2013 at 00:40.

OK, as mentioned previously, I love these watches.

Attachment 999882

I find them good looking on the face, and simply love all the textures and how they individually reflect/absorb light. From the resin cases to the cordura like bands with metal rivets and the rubber strap end to the quilted/insulated band that is warm all by itself. Enjoy all the eye-candy on the screen and the fact that it is actually useful if you use the stopwatches, the coloring and the accents. Just extremely enjoyable watches. While in general Hawaii is too warm for them, if you live somewhere where you wear a t-shirt on a sunny 50f/10c day, these watches could be perfect for you. If you are visiting/live in Vegas March-October then definitely not ideal.

As I said in the GDF100 review I still think this would have made a cooler Burton. Casio has released a collab in the first wave of a G-Lide before (GLX150) but I'm sure there are reason waaaay beyond my pay grade. In any case, I hope they bring another wave of these next winter. Hope you enjoyed the review, and I hope you got to see the watch you are interested in in the lighting you were curious about. As you can see from my indoor shots, I was trying to be a little more "careless" with my shot of the negative display instead of trying to picture it the best possible way.

Also, I have heard each of these claimed as someone's favorite already. I am still bouncing between the brown and the green. The blue is cool, and I am keeping it, it is just wrong for my current climate . Not that I really have much room to complain, lol.
    Kawei and CanonMan like this.

Awesome Chris!!!

I love and rock mine now and then. The strap are strong and solid. It is true though, that they do get pretty hot on hot days. I guess that is why its the winter watch hehehe same with the burton. I only wear mine on cooler days or when I'm going swimming =) You sure your not getting the white one? White one is pretty slick and very nice looking too... I know... you are into the negative display only =)

Nice post buddy...

Cheers,
    -Kawei-
    Last edited by Kawei; March 8th, 2013 at 09:58.
    Chrisek likes this.

Sadly, the pic links are dead.

Great review as usual Chris!
    Chrisek likes this.
    Wearing a different G-SHOCK ​everyday.

Thank you Ted! I didn't realize about the pics being a casualty. Let me see if I still have them or if I'll re-shoot them.

I just bought my GLS100-5 today. I just love it's understated beauty. The cordura bracelet is so comfortable but it makes the watch move around my wrist if it's not strapped on tight. Not gonna happen in my GA100 with the textured brakes underside the strap. Nevertheless, I love the EL backlight and the flashing EL function.

Name:  35clcuu.jpg
Views: 3307
Size:  137.6 KB

Last edited by Gundam168; June 3rd, 2013 at 01:37.
    Chrisek likes this.

I already have the GLS-100-1, which I love, but now I'm considering the GLS-100-3 to stealth.

It's a little hard to tell, even from super close-ups and the Tanaka video, but what colour is the face (the piece with "STW1", "STW2", etc. printed on it)? Is is dark green, grey, black?

I'm hoping someone who owns one can shed some (natural) light on this for me.

Thanx.
    =Z=

G-SHOCK: DW-6900MS-1 (3230), G-8900A-1, GLS-100-1, GLS-100-3 (stealthed), GW-1201BD-1AV
    CITIZEN: Skyhawk Blue Angels (JR3090-58M)
    SEIKO: Premier Kinetic Perpetual (SNP001P1), Velatura Kinetic Direct Drive (SRH005P1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information