GLX-150
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: GLX-150

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

GLX-150

Well, I've been wearing this one a lot and really enjoying it. I'm surprised as it is actually the least expensive (brand new) G Shock I've purchased. First things first: the color. Well, let me help with a real life shot:

Name:  P1000218.JPG
Views: 16028
Size:  526.7 KB

See how it is not the "Bright White" of some of the other G Shocks? No? Wait, let me show a comparison:

Name:  P1000239.JPG
Views: 14598
Size:  479.0 KB

OK, better understanding? Calibrated to the colors with my camera? Good. That white GA-100 is my only one of that color. I'd call it a "Brilliant White" as in sunscreen. I have difficulty wearing this watch at work (semi-professional attire). The new G-Lide? passable. People see it, that's for sure! But I don't feel it is out of control in any way. Here is another shot:

Name:  P1000220.JPG
Views: 12345
Size:  478.8 KB

Overall it feels like a distant relative to the "earth tone" or "Men In Military Colors" to me. Once again, based on Casio photos, I was unsure of this watch. Then I saw it in person, bammo. done. Because of this earthy tone it seems extraordinarily flexible. Wanna better view of the buttons? Here:

Name:  P1000221.JPG
Views: 12155
Size:  484.1 KB

As is the case with the XL line up the buttons work well. No difficulties and easy switching of modes. Modes. This is module # 3295 and hopefully that link takes you to Casio where you can download manual and read to your heart's content. Let me point out a couple of things first: because it is a G-Lide it has moon phase (which I look at a bit actually) and tide graph (which you think I would use here in Hawaii like every day or something, but I don't). Let me show you a couple of cool things that are not obvious or mentioned anywhere:
    #1. Have you been reading about some people living in parts of the US and elsewhere in the world here on WUS where their workaround for the home city is almost silly? I have. I can't remember who, but this watch does not have that issue. You set your home time zone based on UTC in half hour increments and DST is completely separate! I know, crazy. Well, here it is:

Name:  P1000245.JPG
Views: 11845
Size:  317.3 KB

I know, I know: UTC -10. It wasn't a big deal before for me as Hawaii has its own time zone (HST) that is on all the other G Shocks I have. I know, that rocks too. We may not have invented UTC, but we are recognized!

#2. OK, this one is waaaay more regionally significant. And I mean HUGE. Familiar with home town rivalries? Cross-state rivalries? Well, in California it is pretty mega. And I mean at the Olympics Northern California vs Southern California for medal counts in all the California newspapers. Completely separate and above how the US medal counts are going vs other countries. Bring up a competition, and we're at it. I'm a NorCal kid born and raised. So I set my world time to my father (who still lives in NorCal) a couple of days before we talk so I know his schedule. It really irks me to have no choice but to pick LAX. Really, this irks. Well, Casio somehow became aware of their evil ways and sent out an olive branch to all their NorCal customers. Don't believe me? Check it buddy:

Name:  P1000244.JPG
Views: 11538
Size:  325.4 KB

OK, OK. It makes asolutely no sense whatsoever. ALL of California is Pacific Standard Time and DST. So I don't know the reasoning, but I gotta believe there are other cities represented that were not there before. Worth a look anyway. Need another outdoor shot? Cool.

Name:  P1000222.JPG
Views: 11357
Size:  512.8 KB

#3. Wanna see a cool party trick? I like this one and really enjoy it. OK, you've seen the face right? Quick refresher:

Name:  P1000243.JPG
Views: 10987
Size:  299.5 KB

Turn the lights out:

Name:  P1000242.JPG
Views: 10431
Size:  119.3 KB

WHOA! I love that. I do not get tired of it. I've seen that blue on other GShocks, but I love how the center band goes from bronze to white! 3 lights? I do not know. But I am not tired of it.
    Last edited by Chrisek; June 30th, 2012 at 08:15.
    xevious, furrotik, Coolio* and 2 others like this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Re: GLX-150

Finally, let me finish up with the caseback shot. Thanks for reading:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the review Chrisek, I honestly think that the kinda cream color of the watch is perfect. The stock Casio photos do not do it justice!

G-Lide models are some of the neatest G's around, Very excellent watch!
    Chrisek likes this.

Brave Rifles! Veterans!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice work man. Love the light show v v cool.

Sent through Tapatalk on HTCs Desire.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

I just purchased the glx150x-7 in4mation collab today. I will probably get to me in the mail in about about a week or so. I felt the need to get it, because it's a limited edition, I've been dying for one of these new glx-150's, but I held out until the in4mation collab came out. I don't really like the color scheme on it, too plain, and it just says in4mation twice on the wrist band and has a red strap holder, worst of all, the buttons are white. I really like how yours has the black buttons, very nice contrast. I really would like the blue one, but I think it's a japan-only release, and I'm not paying double on ebay. Anyways, great review, really nice pictures!!

Well, I picked up an In4ma+tion today. My reason was a little different: one, they are local
    Name:  P1000257.JPG
Views: 7564
Size:  858.4 KB

Two, I wanted a "stormtrooper" style watch (stark white with a negative digital) and I genuinely enjoy the GLX-150.

Name:  P1000258.JPG
Views: 7482
Size:  953.3 KB

So, blazing through the unpacking photos (this is my first collab as well, so having it be a local is extra cool to me)

Name:  P1000259.JPG
Views: 7218
Size:  901.8 KB

Gets us to what you care about

Name:  P1000260.JPG
Views: 7197
Size:  826.5 KB

Name:  P1000261.JPG
Views: 7142
Size:  835.1 KB

I know, I know. I can hear you quite well: "Dude, seriously Chrisek? Why didn't you get that orange one next, or even the black darth vader? You already have an off-white one!"

While I do, the truth is they are very different to me. Basically, the off-white one I feel comfortable wearing to work as it is a softer coloration, while this one I think of as a "fun" day watch instead.

Name:  P1000262.JPG
Views: 7085
Size:  888.8 KB

I also wish the buttons on the side were colored. Black, Red, or even Orange or a mixup would've been fun. Escpecially considering they spec'ed out the red keeper and black buckle (I really like black buckles by the way)

Name:  P1000263.JPG
Views: 6992
Size:  895.8 KB

Side by side for more of a comparison

Name:  P1000264.JPG
Views: 7180
Size:  758.9 KB

Obligatory wrist shot, see how much crisper this color scheme is? I like it

Name:  P1000265.JPG
Views: 7057
Size:  829.3 KB

And the shot nobody has shown yet: the underwrist with all the colors in action. Have I mentioned this underside cleanly shows the 3 colors of the *official* WUS Gshock color scheme?

Name:  P1000268.JPG
Views: 6759
Size:  797.7 KB

Finally, the caseback:

Name:  P1000269.JPG
Views: 6689
Size:  896.7 KB

I do wish it were a little different. I wish the caseback was black or "smoked" to match the buckle. Seriously, that would be a cool effect. I wish there was some kind of custom backlight like on other collabs/special editions (that's why there isn't a photo of it here). I like the watch a lot, and I'm happy I got it. Other GLX's to follow, I'm sure.
    Coolio* likes this.

I just opened mine up tonight (the in4mation glx150) I really like the look of of this module, I kinda wish the collaboration was a bit more in-depth/detailed. Here's a pic Name:  in4ma-glx.jpg
Views: 11794
Size:  100.2 KB
    Chrisek likes this.

Thank you for posting that shot here! I was going to ask your permission to put it in but you beat me to it. You've worn it a couple of days now, what do you think of the watch? As a watch? Color scheme?

I thought I'd add my pictures to this thread. My GLX-150-7 arrived yesterday:

I found it tough to get some decent shots on the fly this morning. The display just was not picked up well by my pretty mediocre iPhone 3GS camera. I really like the color it is slightly off-white, closer to a light "bone" type color, with a slight, slight tint of pink. (That doesn't make the watch look "pink" in any way; it just softens the white.) It has a matte finish which will clearly get dirty pretty quickly, but looks less garish (on a male arm, in particular) than a glossy white finish. (Just to be clear -- I wear glossy white watches as well, from time to time. Even though I don't think they are the best color against my reasonably pale skin.)

I've always been a fan of the G-Lide models -- even though I don't surf and make no use of the "tide" functions beyond looking at them.

This module has a nice, robust feature set -- a "time" mode; a "tide" mode; a "world time" mode nicely described above; a 24 hour STW with an "auto-start" function (essentially a five second countdown); a 24 hour CDT with an auto-repeat function and "progress beepers" (that can be toggled on and off) as well as the standard countdown end beeper; an Alarm mode with and hourly-chime that can be toggled on and off and threeprogrammable alarms (one with "snooze" function) -- the alarms can be set daily, or for a specific date, or for one-month (the alarm will sound every day during the set time only during the designated month), or monthly (the alarm will sound every month on the time and date designated). Illumination is done with a bright blue LED -- which can be set to either 1.5 or 3 seconds. Auto-EL can also be activated - this will light up the watch when you turn your wrist.

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote
    Chrisek and Coolio* like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information