• 12 Post By Chrisek
  • 1 Post By yankeexpress
  • 1 Post By Tobarm1907
  • 1 Post By xevious
  • 1 Post By CanonMan
  • 1 Post By Durp13579

Thread: Gulfman and the generations

Gulfman and the generations

The Gulfman holds a special place for me. It is the watch that brought me into the world of G-Shocks. OK, not all of them. This one:

Name:  GW-9110GY-1JF.jpg
Views: 3001
Size:  287.6 KB

Which has led to this:

Name:  Gulfman Family.jpg
Views: 1919
Size:  165.8 KB

But first, what is the Gulfman? It actually started out as the Fisherman (DW-8600) and has always been in the Master of G line. Signature items being: Titanium backplate and screws, Tide and moon graphs. Pretty simple formula and has held up the "anti-corrosion" banner through that backplate and hardware.

In the "Pre-Atomic" generations we have the grandaddy Fisherman (in blue) and the 1st Gulfman (in yellow and black here).

Name:  Pre Atomic Gulfmen.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  164.1 KB

I learned about these through a couple of great articles by others. In particular Mitch100 did a review that is actually responsible for me going "back" and collecting older versions of my watch. I am very thankful for this.

If you like the color of mine, be forewarned that it is not the original color. ICERC Fisherman were clear jelly. Kung-Fusion helped me figure all this out and while it is a very nice dye job, you should know what you are looking at if you ever think of purchasing.

That Yellow and black one. That is also an ICERC. Mitch100 waxed eloquent on this one as well and I had to give it a try. Topher has this same version, but is beautiful (mine is obviously a wearer).

As we transition in to the Atomic stage of the GW-9100 (the "W" refers to "Waveceptor" which is Casio's term for atomic sync'ing) there was also the Non-atomic version for the rest of the world called the G-9100. Of course all followed up by the GW9110.

Name:  Gulfman Atomic Generation.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  163.0 KB

For details of the differences between the G and the GW 9100's you can look at the Fraternal Twins.

Both of these are from the Men In Rescue Orange / G-Rescue collection.

Name:  Twins 2.jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  199.3 KB

Sjors wrote a few articles on a couple varieties of this generation. The non-atomic G-9100, the ICERC edition, and if you don't know, there were a few Gulfman (4? 5?) in the 25th Anniversary. Probably the most loved being the Ocean Grey.

What is funny about this generation is how divided people are over it. Many consider the GW-9100 (the "revolver" due to the 5 circles on the right) the best looking of all Gulfmen. Quite a few others see that very same one as the NON-Gulfman because it does not have Moon or tide. To each their own. All I can say is at least enough people care about these watches to have a strong opinion!

In a thread by GShockMe he points out that the Men in Purple Gulfman is the transition to Riseman (G/W9200) straps and considers it generation "2.5" for good reason.

And that brings back to where we started.

Name:  9110 Solo.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  115.5 KB

Actually don't find many reviews of this watch. Found one over at MyVerdict which is a decent review.

Another thing you may have noticed is the size has not changed much over the years. This can be tough to tell without a reference, so here is the 9110 next to an "XL" body GA110

Name:  9110 and 110.jpg
Views: 1858
Size:  131.9 KB

Now to be fair on this ledge the 110 is slightly ahead of the 9110. So here is another photo next to the 9100 where they are lined up perfectly.

Name:  9100 and 110.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  107.4 KB

Still a huge size difference!!! What about the all-familiar 6900?

Name:  9110 and 6900.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  109.0 KB

Again, the 6900 is "in front" so here is another photos lined up:

Name:  9100 and 6900.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  114.4 KB

Yep, it is a little smaller than a 6900! And of course, next to a square.

Name:  9110 and square.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  119.3 KB

Actually it is a little bigger than a square. If you don't know, the module of the GW9110 is also in the GW7900. Some people really don't like this. I think it is OK as the 7900 is a much larger watch, and the Gulfman is still built like a Master of G.

Hope this helps, just trying to centralize some good Gulfman info from around the web.
    Last edited by Chrisek; October 9th, 2013 at 22:03.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Re: Gulfman and the generations

Great info on the generations.

Some Gulfman with a Raysman...ICERC, Garish Black, Military Colors and Smoky Gray

Last edited by yankeexpress; October 9th, 2013 at 21:25.
    Chrisek likes this.

Removed by Original poster OP (it was a link to a version of Sjors article, already linked above)
    Last edited by yankeexpress; October 9th, 2013 at 21:46.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yankee, which link doesn't work? I thought I tested them all.

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

All your links work just fine.

I had posted the bogus link below, which I didn't realize is a plagiarized version of Sjors Gulfman article., then I noticed it was a version and removed it.

G-Share - Casio G-Shock News: Review of the Ocean Gray G-Shock GW-9125D-8 Gulfman

Awsome information about the Gulfman, I am new to the casio collectors world but I definitely need the orange GW one....

cheers
    Last edited by Tobarm1907; October 10th, 2013 at 13:27.
    Chrisek likes this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Very nice article on some of the Gulfman generations, Chrisek. The Gulfman GW-9100 is one of my favorite G-Shocks.

Granted, the GW-9100 doesn't have moon phase and tide graph, but I really don't need that info. In fact, I use an app on my Android cellphone that provides far more information than I could ever get from a G-Shock. Still, it IS nice to have a reminder on your wrist, I'll give you that. But for me, a G-Shock needs to be first and foremost rugged, water resistant, and good looking. The GW-9100 does all of those splendidly. The main nitpick I have with it is the 60 minute CDT. I wonder why CASIO didn't endow it with 24 hours. Looks like they sacrificed this to provide the current time simultaneously. And while the metal trimmed "revolver" is a nice piece of eye candy, it's functionally kind of silly... because most people don't care which tower they've synchronized with. A "RCVD" indicator is all that is needed, rather than a spread of 5 placeholders to represent each tower.To keep it simple, just one big dot to show that synchronization occurred (no need for tower representation).

The GW-9100 did come with a rather mediocre band. I didn't find it very comfortable and at the time the GW-9110 was not yet released. So I bought a Riseman band to use instead and it worked like a charm. It was certainly a good thing to see CASIO recognized comfort complaints and upgraded the band for the 9110 model line.

But I do wonder if there is any future for the Gulfman. While the Mudman now has a moon phase, it could easily be outfitted with a tide graph as well. Slap on a titanium back plate and goodbye to the Gulfman. And of course, keep the price low enough not to intrude on the Rangeman. Because based on the going prices of the Mudman GW-9300, I'd easily pay a little more for a Rangeman.
    Chrisek likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Nice work fella, and I found the size comparisons v interesting, mainly because despite the sharing the 7900 module the Gulfman is clearly a smaller piece overall. Didn't think there could be such a difference.

That grey 9110 is the dogs, just wish the neg display was brighter over here in the feebly-lit UK...
    Chrisek likes this.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

Nice review. Right now, I have a Mudman on the way, and I think I might just have to get a Gulfman next. Never new that the Gulfman was that small, though. Just wondering, is the tide graph any good?
    Chrisek likes this.

OWN
    G-Shock
    GW-530A, GA-100-1A1, G-9300-1 Mudman
    Marathon
    JSAR
    Seiko
    SKX007K2
    Swatch
    High Wonder

INCOMING
    Maratac