GW-3000-1AER First Impressions

Thread: GW-3000-1AER First Impressions

GW-3000-1AER First Impressions

Casio GW-3000-1AER – some first impressions.

This is my first ever review of a watch so please not too hard a time!

I’ll get some pictures done when I have set up a Flikr account or similar.

I purchased this watch as I wanted a fairly large good looking watch for everyday use. My wish list of functions was simple; the watch needed to have a clear and easy to read time display under all lighting conditions. Solar & Waveceptor were essential. The watch needed to be light in weight and have a resin band. This GW fitted the bill on all counts.

Appearance:

One word; gorgeous! The best looking watch I have owned (including a dozen or so high- end Swiss watches). The strap is matt resin, the case is a mixture of matt and gloss resin (the gloss section is minimal and is a small layer between the bezel and the body proper of the watch. Bezel lettering and face numbers & markers are finished in very tasteful neon orange. There are some nice pictures on the forum already that show what a good looking watch this is but in the flesh it looks even better. It looks stealthy to me; the watch almost soaks up light! Buttons, screws and buckle are all shiny stainless steel giving a classy appearance.

Size:

I fretted about the size of this as it is billed at 52mm diameter which is large in my book. Before delivery I found an aerosol can cap that was 51mm diameter and used this to make an impression on my wrist to see how large the watch would be. I can’t be the only one who has done this can I? The impression was massive – way too big hence my fretting.

However, I needn’t have worried as the watch wears a lot smaller than I imagined. It is still a biggish watch but it does not look it on my 7.75” wrist. It looks very well proportioned in my eyes.

Here’s why I think it wears smaller. Firstly I measured the case at 50mm East to West so that’s 2mm ‘saved’. The Bezel is also only 43mm East to West and 45mm North to South (the sub-structure beneath flares out to give the 50mm reading already mentioned). The glass is 30mm in diameter.

As your eye is naturally drawn to the bezel and glass (and hence watch face) which is the centre of interest the wider sub-structure is ignored. That’s how it appears to me anyway. Thus the watch looks smaller than it really is. Maybe there is a better theory?

The depth of the watch is 15mm which is nicely in proportion with the diameter of the watch and hence does not look too thick.

The strap is 25mm at the lug screws which rapidly tapers to 20mm which is then maintained until the final tapering of the tip.

I weighed the watch at 75g which is nice and light. I do not like heavy watches that continually flop down onto your hand. This watch stays put on a moderately loose strap and I do not have a particularly prominent wrist bone.

Construction and notable features:

The watch looks very well made. Nice fitting seams and everything feels tight.

The strap is a nice soft rubbery resin with 2 rows of holes for the twin-tang buckle. It fits my 7.75” wrist with five sets of holes spare. The keeper stays put despite not having a Riseman notch. I like straps with the concertina section near the lugs as in my opinion this helps maintain comfort on a hot day ie it helps the strap expand more readily. The strap is securely screwed to the body of the watch.

The bezel is worth a mention. It is finished in slightly squishy urethane (to stop you smashing your cockpit bubble I think) and it is lovely and tactile.

The face is glorious, it has a real 3-dimensional quality and despite my best efforts to prove otherwise everything lines up and is where it ought to be. No lopsided modules here!

The watch hands are big and bold and are easily read. Well at least the large hands are! The small chrono’ features are tough to read at all let alone whilst pulling 15G which I almost managed spinning around on my office chair!

Hot features:

Waveceptor; I live very near to the UK transmitter in Cumbria (UK) so did not expect a sync’ problem. I didn’t get one either. Manual sync’ was straight in and auto-sync’ passed without a hitch. You press the top right button to check for sync’ and the second hand whizzes round to a little Y or N on the inner bezel to let you know if the sync’ worked or not.

Solar; I cannot for the life of me detect any sign of solar receptors on the face of this watch! Amazing!

Tough movement; I’m not sure of the relevance of this. This is one tough watch and I would have thought that trauma that causes watch hands to shift would equal the end of the watch (and me if I am wearing it).

Neobrite; good quality lume although how orange markers glow green at night is a mystery to me. The hands are much brighter than the numbers and markers. The watch was still glowing merrily 4 hours after lights out. NB: the markers have a sugary granular coating on the when viewed very closely, looks interesting more than odd.

World time; works easily and well with the second hands sweeping round to the appropriate city code on the inner bezel.

Not so hot features and omissions:

No light which would have been nice.

Analogue stop watches are pretty poor at the best of times but this is a particularly poor example. The fact it times only to 24 minutes does not bother me but the fact that the combination of poorly graduated mini-dials (6,12,18,24 are the increments), a second hand for ‘tenths’ and a ‘lever’ for ‘hundredths’ is a real pigs-ear on the logic front. It is VERY hard to interpret the reading in my study let alone whilst piloting an F16 or whatever ‘F’ we are on these days. This feature is a poor effort although it does not bother me much as my GW-9000A is on hand if I need a timing facility.

Alarm: only the 1 which is ok with me. Being a light sleeper means that the very muted beep woke me up this morning. I do not have a clue how many dB it amounts to but the number must be very low. Either that or I need my ears syringed!

In summary.

This is a great looking easy to read watch that has wrist presence without being OTT. It meets my primary purchasing needs with some very good features. Some (to me) marginal features are poorly executed.

For £156 GBP delivered this is a heck of a lot of watch for not much money (I know that’s relative but this amount does not buy much in the UK and I daresay many other locations).

If you want a good looking watch, whose main function is simply to display the time, and that has (IMO) the brilliant bonus of Solar & Waveceptor, then this is a highly recommended tool.
    Last edited by NickintheLakes; June 4th, 2010 at 08:20. Reason: Changed a bit.

Re: GW-3000-1AER First Impressions

Good review!

... but, no pics?? ... c'mon.

JML

Re: GW-3000-1AER First Impressions

See this thread, too.

And three quick wrist shots of the GW-300BD.

Name:  GW-3000BD 001.jpg
Views: 44892
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  GW-3000BD 002.jpg
Views: 32872
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  GW-3000BD 003.jpg
Views: 34754
Size:  40.0 KB
    Last edited by JML; August 8th, 2010 at 16:01.
    ** Aérowatch Pilot Chronograph ** Casio Edifice EQSA500B-1AV ** Casio Edifice EQW-A1200RP-1AER ** Casio Oceanus OCW-T2600L-1AJF ** Centric Lightwell Chronograph ** Casio ProTrek PRW2500-1A ** Citizen AT4008-51E ** Citizen AT8020-54L ** Filson Mackinaw Chronograph 11000310 ** G-Shock GW3000BD-1ACR ** Limes Cartouche ** Limes Nightflight Vintage Black ** Maratac SR-35 DLC-X1 ** Seiko Seiko SRPA21 PADI Mod ** Seiko SRP777 Mod ** Sinn 356 Flieger ** Stowa Flieger Classic 40 HW ** Traser P6506 Commander **

Thread Information