WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

GW-5000 and GW-M5600

26K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  BoosterDuck 
#1 ·
Hi all,

This week I received my GW-5000 from Chino watches. It took 14 days to arrive and £51.43 in customs taxes. 2 weeks is the longest I have had to wait for a watch sent from abroad. I was prepared to pay the customs so that didn't come as a surprise.

I also have a 6900, a 7800 and a 7710 which I really like, but I always seemed more drawn to wearing my 5600 when I looked at my watch box every morning.

So after wearing my GW-M5600 for around a month, I realized that the classic square G is the model that I wear most comfortably, not just because it looks good and reminds me of my old G's but also because it just seems to go well with every occasion. My GW-M5600 tucks under my shirts at work perfectly and I really like its classic lines, so I decided to pull the trigger and bought the GW-5000.

I have seen many posts in this forum about these two models and there is little I can add in this thread that hasn't said before, but since these two are in the bull's-eye of many forumers, undecided which one is worth getting, I thought I would compare these two now that I have had them long enough to draw a few conclusions. Please note that they are my conclusions and they are subjective, but then, what isn't when it comes to taste in watches?

When I opened the package early this week to find my new GW-5000, I instantly noted that this is no average G-Shock. It feels considerably heavier than the GW-M5600 but it also feels 'right' on the wrist. The GW-5000, although heavier than the GW-M5600 its also a very well balanced watch and its easy to forget you are wearing it once you get used to it. I understand that its weight may be a problem to some, but I actually find its weight very satisfactory, enough to let you know that its there. I am used to wearing mechanicals and their weight and therefore I find it very easy on the wrist. The urethane material used on the bezel and the strap has a very high quality touch and feel extremely comfortable and durable.

The GW-5000 takes directly from the legacy of the DW-5000 in that it uses a stainless still casing, straight forward menu and average size, which was considered big when it was first released around 30 years ago. It is a very well designed watch where every detail has been carefully thought. The contrast between the purple color of the solar panel and the black/grey/white lines and writing on the outside of the dial make it a very elegant and subtle combination. The watch has a tasteful look to it which would make it an eye catcher to all those in the (G-Shock) know. The mirror like DLC coating on the stainless steel and the screwback is something to behold, even for someone like me who likes a good stainless steel finish on mechanicals, aside from its 'digital roots' this is a rare thing to find on a digital.

I am aware that the title of 'King' has been given to the recently released GX-56, for its huge size and its impressive looks. In my humble opinion, the GW-5000 is the ultimate G-Shock simply for the fact that it follows on the line of the first G-Shock and also because of the way this watch has been designed and produced. It is full of little details that added up make it a very sophisticated yet true to its tradition G-Shock.

Coming back to my GW-M5600, I get the feeling that the material used on the bezel (not the strap) of my GW-M5600 is the same material used on the GW-5000, but I could be wrong. On my GW-5000 and my GW-M5600 the bezels have a matte black color, while the strap on my GW-M5600 is slightly shiny. The module seems a bit darker on the GW-5000 and I wonder if the reason for this is because different materials have been used on the modules or the glass is slightly thicker on the GW-5000, making it in turn a bit darker. I hadn't noticed this until a friend pointed this out, and I must admit that once you are aware, this is noticeable, especially with the EL illumination is on. I am not bothered whether the time is showing in all modes or not and I also understand why some people may be put off by this. This is probably the main difference between the modules on both models, as the GW-5000 has a 24hr stopwatch and the GW-M5600 doesn't, whereas the GW-M5600 shows time on timer and alarm and the GW-5000 doesn't. Big deal.

But what have the Casio designers focused their attention on is the way the GW-5000 has been made, using the best materials possible on a shock-resistant watch. The intention is clearly made to create a watch that will be ticking over 30 years later, now that the DW-5000 has proven it is possible for a digital watch to last as long as that and more.

The GW-M5600 is made of plastic and has a more quirky look to it, but there is no chance it will last as long as the GW-5000, and this is the main difference between both. Plastics degrade, stainless steel does not.

As a quick summary, for those wondering what are the main points to consider between both, I would say that:

The GW-M5600
-Is much cheaper
-Is much lighter
-The dial seems cluttered with writing.
-The rubber materials used (at least on the strap) are not high quality as the ones used in the GW-5000
-Has a 4 screw back attached to a plastic case, which can be tricky in the long turn when the module has to be accessed i.e. to change the seals, and everyone knows this will eventually happen.
-The plastic case could also be a problem when changing straps, as the spring bars can damage the lugs rendering the watch unusable.
-To those worried about it, it shows time on the timer and alarms modes.
-No audible difference on the loudness of the alarm between both.
-It's the reasonable choice.

The GW-5000
-Is expensive (for a reason)
-It feels superior, to the GW-M5600 and most other G-Shocks
-It sits higher on the wrist, although in my experience it will still tuck under a shirt no problem whatsoever.
-The urethane material used all around feels very durable and its extremely comfortable.
-The stainless steel casing will outlast any other plastic G-Shocks and keep the module much safer, making it much more resistant.
-It is a much better looking watch, which draws attention to itself for its simplicity.
-The dial doesn't seem as cluttered and everything kind of 'makes sense' around it.
-Even the lines of the solar panel have been designed to align with the rest of the dial, unlike in the GW-M5600
-It has a charge indicator (CHG), unlike the GW-M5600.
-It's the passionate choice.

At first sight, these two seem very similar, but they are totally different animals. Both have synced at exactly 2:02 am every night since I had them. My GW-5000 even synced while on my wrist the day I received it, which I thought was impressive. (It looks like I work and live in an area with very good reception.) Their size is, I would say, almost exactly the same, but design subtleties like less separated buttons on the GW-5000 make it a more pleasing watch to use and to the eye. Both are classic, comfortable, tough, but one of them will clearly outlast the other. The GW-5000 crashes down that fear that every G-Shock lover has about their G-Shock by curing its Achilles' heel.

Conclusion: with the GW-5000, Casio seem to be making a statement taking into account the classic DW-5000c, in the lines of… 'we have done it in the past and we can do it again, but this time we can assure that it will last 30 years or longer and this comes at a price'

I wish I had taken more care of that DW-5000C that I used to have all those years, decades ago. Not having it today with me, but seeing others still around has only made me realize of the achievement that the GW-5000 really is.

An instant yet timeless classic. I totally recommend it.

Unboxing my GW-M5600:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/unboxing-my-gw-m5600-1er-437685.html

Unboxing my GW-5000:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: GW-5000 (unboxing) and GW-M5600

Interesting post
The GW5000 is an absolute beauty. If I could bear like you the weight addition of the screwback case, I would definitely go for it.
BTW, when does the CHG indicator appears on the GW5000 ? (didn't know about its existence, I thought L-M-H was all).

#4 ·

14 days !! Man,that's a long one. It took 6 days for my 5000 from Chino.

Anyway,big congrats,great watch and great review. I can barely take it off my wrist lately and this morning I'm wearing my GWM5600 that feels "invisible" compare to the 5000.
Allow me to suggest you to go online @ tiktox.com and buy the original bezel/strap kit for it,it really gives you peace of mind knowing that you can use that smooth and silky resin for your everyday activities without worrying about not having some spare parts.

#5 ·

@freeman, thank you, I can see why you would feel like that about the weight. Like everything, its a matter of getting used to it. I noted the CHG indicator when I was looking closely at the dial while doing my review, it sits below the RCVD and PS indicators, but I don't know at what stage it would come up as I haven't known the GW-5000 (and the GW-M5600 for that matter) to ever be below H (High), and the instructions are in Japanese.

@Alexeibc, thank you, if you are sitting on the fence about its price, do what I did, I asked myself if I would still like to have it in a couple of decades time and I remembered that I would love to have taken better care of that DW-5000 when I was only a kid, and the answer was positive! How about wearing a classic G in 30 years time! (like all those lucky DW-5000C owners)! I also enjoyed your pictures of the new GX56, great watch! ;-)

#6 ·

14 days !! Man,that's a long one. It took 6 days for my 5000 from Chino.

Anyway,big congrats,great watch and great review. I can barely take it off my wrist lately and this morning I'm wearing my GWM5600 that feels "invisible" compare to the 5000.
Allow me to suggest you to go online @ tiktox.com and buy the original bezel/strap kit for it,it really gives you peace of mind knowing that you can use that smooth and silky resin for your everyday activities without worring about not having some spare parts.
agree on everything! - I was also thinking of getting those parts from Keith @ tiktox, at that price its well worth it considering the quality.

#7 ·

Hi all,

This week I received my GW-5000 from Chino watches. It took 14 days to arrive and £51.43 customs taxes. 2 weeks is the longest I have had to wait for a watch sent from abroad. I was prepared to pay the customs so that didn't come as a surprise.

I also have a 6900, a 7800 and a 7710 which I also really like, but I always seemed more drawn to wearing my 5600 when I looked at my watch box every morning.

So after wearing my GW-M5600 for around a month, I realized that the classic square G is the model that I wear most comfortably, not just because it looks good and reminds me of my old G's but also because it just seems to go well with every occasion. My GW-M5600 tucks under my shirts at work perfectly and I really like its classic lines, so I decided to pull the trigger and bought the GW-5000.

I have seen many posts in this forum about these two models and there is little I can add in this thread that hasn't said before, but since these two are in the bull's-eye of many forumers, undecided which one is worth getting, I thought I would compare these two now that I have had them both long enough to draw a few conclusions. Please note that they are my conclusions and they are subjective, but then, what isn't when it comes to taste in watches?

When I opened the package early this week to find my new GW-5000, I instantly noted that this is no average G-Shock. It feels considerably heavier than the GW-M5600 although it also feels 'right' on the wrist. The GW-5000, although heaver than the GW-M5600 its also a very well balanced watch and its easy to forget you are wearing it once you get used to it. I understand that this may be a problem to some, but I actually find its weight very satisfactory, enough to let you know that its there. I am used to wearing mechanicals and their weight and therefore I find it very easy on the wrist. The urethane material used on the bezel and the strap has a very high quality touch and feel extremely comfortable and durable.

The GW-5000 takes directly from the legacy of the DW-5000 in that it uses a stainless still casing, straight forward menu and average size, which was considered big when it was first released around 30 years ago. It is a very well designed watch where every detail has been carefully thought. The contrast between the purple color of the solar panel and the black/grey/white lines and writing on the outside of the dial make it a very elegant and subtle combination. The watch has a tasteful look to it which would make it an eye catcher to all those in the (G-Shock) know. The mirror like DLC coating on the stainless steel and the screwback is something to behold, even for someone like me who likes a good stainless steel finish on mechanicals, aside from its 'digital roots' this is rare thing to find on a digital.

I am aware that the title of 'King' has been given to the recently released GX-56, for its huge size and its impressive looks. In my humble opinion, the GW-5000 is the ultimate G-Shock simply for the fact that it follows on the line of the first G-Shock and also because of the way this watch has been designed and produced. It is full of little details that added up make it a very sophisticated yet true to its tradition G-Shock.

Coming back to my GW-M5600, I get the feeling that the material used on the bezel (not the strap) of my GW-M5600 is the same material used on the GW-5000, but I could be wrong. On my GW-5000 and my GW-M5600 the bezels have a matte black color, while the strap on my GW-M5600 is slightly shiny. The module seems a bit darker on the GW-5000 and I wonder if the reason for this is because different materials have been used on the module or the glass is slightly thicker, making it in turn a bit darker. I hadn't noticed this until a friend pointed this out, and I must admit that once you are aware, this is noticeable, especially with the EL illumination is on. I am not bothered whether the time is showing in all modes or not and I also understand why some people may be put off by this. This is probably the main difference between the modules on both models, as the GW-5000 has a 24hr stopwatch and the GW-M5600 doesn't, whereas the GW-M5600 shows time on timer and alarm and the GW-5000 doesn't. Big deal.

But what have the Casio designers focused their attention on is the way the GW-5000 has been made, using the best materials possible on a shock-resistant watch. The intention is clearly made to create a watch that will be ticking over 30 years later, now that the DW-5000 has proven it is possible for a digital watch to last as long as that and more.

The GW-M5600 is made of plastic and has a more quirky look to it, but there is no chance it will last as long as the GW-5000, and this is the main difference between both. Plastics degrade, stainless steel does not.

As a quick summary, for those wondering what are the main points to consider between both, I would say that:

The GW-M5600
-Is much cheaper
-Is much lighter
-The dial seems cluttered with writing.
-The rubber materials used (at least on the strap) are not high quality as the ones used in the GW-5000
-Has a 4 screw back attached to a plastic case, which can be tricky in the long turn when the module has to be accessed, and everyone knows this will eventually happen.
-The plastic case could also be a problem when changing straps, as the spring bars can damage the lugs rendering the watch unusable.
-To those worried about it, it shows time on the timer and alarms modes.
-No audible difference on the loudness of the alarm between both.
-It's the reasonable choice.

The GW-5000
-Is expensive (for a reason)
-It feels superior, to the GW-M5600 and most other G-Shocks
-It sits higher on the wrist, although in my experience it will still tuck under a shirt no problem whatsoever.
-The urethane material used all around feels very durable and its extremely comfortable.
-The stainless steel casing will outlast any other plastic G-Shocks and keep the module much safer, making it much more resistant.
-It is a much better looking watch, which draws attention to itself for its simplicity.
-The dial doesn't seem as cluttered and everything kind of 'makes sense' around it.
-Even the lines of the solar panel have been designed to align with the rest of the dial, unlike in the GW-M5600
-It has a charge indicator (CHG), unlike the GW-M5600.
-It's the passionate choice.

At first sight, these two seem very similar, but they are totally different animals. Both have synced at exactly 2:02 am every night since I had them. My GW-5000 even synced while on my wrist the day I received it, which I thought was impressive. (It looks like I work and live in an area with very good reception.) Their size is, I would say, almost exactly the same, but design subtleties like less separated buttons on the GW-5000 make it a more pleasing watch to use and to the eye. Both are classic, comfortable, tough, but one of them will clearly outlast the other. The GW-5000 crashes down that fear that every G-Shock lover has about their G-Shock by curing its Achilles' heel.

Conclusion: with the GW-5000, Casio seem to be making a statement taking into account the classic DW-5000c, in the lines of… 'we have done it in the past and we can do it again, but this time we can assure that it will last 30 years or longer and this comes at a price'

I wish I had taken more care of that DW-5000C that I used to have all those years, decades ago. Not having it today with me, but seeing others still around has only made me realize of the achievement that the GW-5000 really is.

An instant yet timeless classic. I totally recommend it.

Unboxing my GW-M5600:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/unboxing-my-gw-m5600-1er-437685.html

Unboxing my GW-5000:
Super slick review - the GW5000 is a true classic and the mostly 'all back look' of the watch is definately a step up in perceived quality compared to the GW-M5600 which I did own for a while but flipped it for a riseman!!

Happy wearing my friend!! :)

#8 ·

Super slick review - the GW5000 is a true classic and the mostly 'all back look' of the watch is definately a step up in perceived quality compared to the GW-M5600 which I did own for a while but flipped it for a riseman!!

Happy wearing my friend!! :)
Thank you chas38, in my case I consider both watches keepers in my collection.

#9 ·

Hi Txemizo, great post and very detailed. I really do agree with you that the title of king should have gone to the GW-5000. It's build quality and nod to the past set it apart from all other G's. There's a reason it cost approx $400 dollars, that's because Casio used the best materials and IMHO wanted to make it their Flagship model.

#12 ·

Hi Txemizo, great post and very detailed. I really do agree with you that the title of king should have gone to the GW-5000. It's build quality and nod to the past set it apart from all other G's. There's a reason it cost approx $400 dollars, that's because Casio used the best materials and IMHO wanted to make it their Flagship model.
Fully agree - I think 'king' tag should always be reserved for the original casio design and scale so the GXW 56 has to give way IMHO.

#13 ·

Am I right in thinking that the 5000 is around 3 times the price of the 5600?
Yes you are.

But do not fear my lords, for the true King is wise and patient, has the experience of decades to pass and will see the fall of the temporary monarch while its strength shines on with steel and diamond tones ;-)

#14 ·

double whammy

#15 ·

double double whammy

#16 ·

Yes you are.

But do not fear my lords, for the true King is wise and patient, has the experience of decades to pass and will see the fall of the temporary monarch while its strength shines on with steel and diamond tones ;-)
Blimey - you need to write a book or something! :-d

Do you reckon it is worth three times the price though?

#17 ·

Blimey - you need to write a book or something! :-d

Do you reckon it is worth three times the price though?
:-d

If you take into account the attention to detail, the materials used, its uniqueness for using DLC coating on a digital watch and its proven durability based on its predecessor, besides how good it looks, my answer is yes. I guess we will all have to wait until this model is no longer produced and collectors look for them with the same interest as they now look for classic screwback G-Shocks. The price to pay then for this watch won't seem so unreasonable.

#18 ·

Couldn't have said it better myself. I just got mine in last Saturday and its been on my wrist for at least part of the day everyday since. I was a little worried about spending 350 on a G because I thought I'd regret it once I actually had it in hand, but like you said its in a totally different league. Definitely one of my favorite watches and IMO the best G out there.

Also have to add shipping was the absolute fastest I've ever seen, from Japan to my apartment in Baltimore in 3 days (counting the day it was dispatched) so really only 2 days in transit !

#20 ·

First of all, nice write up. I typically do not read really long posts, but this one definitely got my attention. I had a plan to buy a GW-M5600BC, but this thread changed everything. I am leaning towards pulling the trigger for the GW5000 now..... I wish I could see one in person.... from the pictures, I can see the difference in the face , but the hard tell how different the band material is and how the weight feels.... I will just do my research and hopefully can pull the trigger soon.

#21 ·

First of all, nice write up. I typically do not read really long posts, but this one definitely got my attention. I had a plan to buy a GW-M5600BC, but this thread changed everything. I am leaning towards pulling the trigger for the GW5000 now..... I wish I could see one in person.... from the pictures, I can see the difference in the face , but the hard tell how different the band material is and how the weight feels.... I will just do my research and hopefully can pull the trigger soon.
As someone who just recently made that decision, I can tell you that you wont be dissapointed

#23 ·

:-d

If you take into account the attention to detail, the materials used, its uniqueness for using DLC coating on a digital watch and its proven durability based on its predecessor, besides how good it looks, my answer is yes. I guess we will all have to wait until this model is no longer produced and collectors look for them with the same interest as they now look for classic screwback G-Shocks. The price to pay then for this watch won't seem so unreasonable.
Shame I can't see them both side by side as it is hard to come to the same conclusion from photographs. I do know what you mean though by the materials used and finish etc often being worth a lot more on the purchase price. You do tend to get what you pay for in life!

Enjoy your watch for a long time!

#24 ·

As someone who also had to make that decision, whether to part with all that cash for this G-Shock or not, I read a lot of reviews in this and other forums to help me balance the pros and cons of this watch. In all those reviews the owners tried to explain what a worth buy it is and gave the reasons why, as I have done in my review. In the end, the problem of paying a large sum of money for this watch (to me) made sense in the long term, as no one likes to see their watches degenerate with time.

That is the idea of this watch, to withstand time where others won't. Compared to the GW-M5600B, well, it doesn't have such a cool factor or stealthy looks, so I don't know how it compares to that one. If I had to choose between the two, I would still pick up the GW-5000 against the GW-M5600B exactly for the same reasons explained in my comparison, as the GW-M5600B is basically the same watch as the GW-M5600.

In my case, knowing that I really liked the GW-M5600 I decided to jump to the next step and that brought me to the GW-5000.

#25 ·

Congrats on your GW-5000 and welcome to the club. THIS is the true King of the G-Shocks, not that over-blown new pretender... ;-)

Mine says "Hello"

:-!

Reactions: torgny
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.