GW-9300GY Men in Smoky Gray Mudman review and pics!
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: GW-9300GY Men in Smoky Gray Mudman review and pics!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GW-9300GY Men in Smoky Gray Mudman review and pics!

So I got the GW-9300GY today...

First impressions: First of all, a shout out to Time Garden (seller on Rakuten) for shipping quickly, not charging tax, gift wrapping (even though I did not request) and throwing in a free Protrek keychain. This kind of service is why I will continue to buy from him. The watch is very nice, I love the color and the negative display seems pretty legible.

Some differences I noted from the regular black (positive display) mudman:

-The buckle of the GW-9300GY is matte steel, unlike the polished steel on the standard black model. This seems like an odd choice because the keeper of the GW-9300GY is polished, so I would expect the buckle to have been polished too. Actually, I would prefer it all to be matte, because matte goes better with a watch that looks military.

-The inner ring under the bezel is matte black on the GW-9300GY, which is a nice choice over the shiny black ring under the bezel of the standard black model.

-The carbon fiber under the band is similar to the carbon fiber on the standard GW-9300

-The image engraved on the caseback is engraved deeper on the GW-9300GY than it is on the standard black model. The same is true of the letters (also deeper). I don't know if they are all like this, but this is how mine is.

-The color gray is similar to the MIRB frogman, but unlike the frogman it is matte not glossy and it is a very tiny bit lighter. There is no sparkle to the gray of the GW-9300GY

-Casio used the American spelling of "gray" in the Men in Smoky Gray series, unlike the British spelling used in the Ocean Grey series. I am not sure why they changed it, or if it was intentional.

-The green bits of the GW-9300GY are more of a military olive green, not a lime green like in some of the photos. The green on the top of the watch does seem a bit brighter and more colorful than the green on the bottom, but it is not distracting or noticeable. Maybe they wanted more contrast against the negative display.

Now the pics!

G-strap and JeffreyVB like this.

Re: GW-9300GY Men in Smoky Gray Mudman review and pics!

Best pictures so far of this one!

Really great looker even tough I still prefer the black/gold one but this one is not far behind in terms of looks.

Have you seen it in bright sunlight yet?

Because I think I can see a hint of a little sparkle in the resin strap. Perhaps that will show more in sunlight...
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Thanks for the review. I like the watch a lot more in your pictures than in any others I have seen. Enjoy it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

By far the best colorway available for this model right now. The accents almost look yellow in the pictures. Negative displays just make any model look much more desirable. I don't need this watch. I don't need this watch.
    n_wildgirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Cady View Post
    By far the best colorway available for this model right now. The accents almost look yellow in the pictures. Negative displays just make any model look much more desirable. I don't need this watch. I don't need this watch.
    If you happen to have 500 quids laying around in a dust bin somewhere then why not get it quickly hehe
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Thanks, the little sparkles seen in one of the photos are a result of a very close up shot and a powerful flash bulb. In bright light and with normal vision (eyes, not a camera) it does not sparkle. It does have an interesting look, though, almost like a smooth stone.

Is that color scheme going to be available in a non atomic edition? I had both the non atomic editions in my hand at a Macy's in San Antonio, TX, however I didn't buy either of them because I just didn't like the color combos. Between the two I probably liked the black/gold one better, but I didn't like the gold buckle. I'd have liked it if came with a black buckle.

Nice review though and thanks for the excellent pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    Thanks, the little sparkles seen in one of the photos are a result of a very close up shot and a powerful flash bulb. In bright light and with normal vision (eyes, not a camera) it does not sparkle. It does have an interesting look, though, almost like a smooth stone.
    It would be great to see some shoots of this one outside in bright sunlight without any flash being used!

Is there still sunny in California?

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post
    It would be great to see some shoots of this one outside in bright sunlight without any flash being used!

Is there still sunny in California?
    The sun set already, so I can't right now, but I will when I get a chance

that looks awesome!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information