GW-T5030 Arrival, and some interesting info
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: GW-T5030 Arrival, and some interesting info

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

GW-T5030 Arrival, and some interesting info

Okay, so I am a little late on this one, but I finally got the GW-T5030. No unboxing pics or anything like that, because we already have those thanks to other members. I was a little stressed about this shipment because when I checked online this morning the tracking info said that it was out for delivery. Then at 11:00, I checked again and it said online that delivery was attempted and a notice left because no authorized recipient was available. This was simply not true... I was home... So I tried calling the post office but no one picked up. I got in my car to drive to the post office to arrange for a pickup (I wasn't going to take any chances on this one going missing). I drove half a block and spotted the mail van, so I parked and approached the carrier. I asked her and she admitted that she didn't actually attempt delivery! She said she just put that in the system so she wouldn't get in trouble for not having it delivered by noon. She said she was going to go and deliver it by 3 or 4 pm, and told me some story about her back being hurt and having to take time off... I asked if I could just get it now, and she said okay because she knew me. She let me sign for the package and take it from the van.

So, long story short, I got it and took it out of the box. I was not sure at first if I was going to wear this one or let it sit new for a while... But after holding it for about a minute, I couldn't help but peel off all the stickers and try it on. I decided that not only would I wear it, it would be my new daily wear G-shock.

But not until I inspected it further...

I took it apart and examined it. At first I thought, "I paid too much for this to be taking it apart and playing around with mods." But then I remembered a girl from high school who got an expensive pair of boots and drew pictures on them. I remember saying to her, "Don't you feel like you paid too much for those to be drawing on them" and she said, "I paid too much for these NOT to be drawing on them."

I can confirm what is and what is not titanium, based on weight and magnet tests:

Case: titanium
    Caseback: titanium
    Bezel screws: titanium
    Keeper: titanium
    Buckle: titanium
    Buttons: titanium

Spring rods: steel
    Buckle spring rod: steel
    Button springs: steel
    E-clips for buttons: steel

I straightned out the caseback to my liking and decided that I would NOT wear it with the titanium keeper (don't want to scratch it). I will wear it with the original buckle, but on DW-5600E resin, not the original band (which is very soft). I like a firmer band.

Buttons are definitely much easier to press than GW-5000 :)

I screwed on a GW-5000 caseback just to see what it would look and feel like. It was much heavier with the GW-5000 caseback. Very noticeable. I considered keeping the GW-5000 caseback on it, and preserving the Ti caseback, but I decided against it because the coefficient of thermal expansion for Ti and Steel is different, and exposing the watch to heat could cause permanent damage to the screwback threads if one part expands faster than another. I think this is also the reason Casio used Ti screws rather than steel screws.

Re: GW-T5030 Arrival, and some interesting info

Wow you are the man Kung!

I don't think many members on here would have the b***s to dismantle a new and expensive watch.

That is great information about the composition of the watch.

You were sensible not to put the SS back on. Titanium is a more noble metal than SS and can cause it to rust due to galvanic reaction. You could have ended up with a seized on caseback.

Mitch

opc

Brilliant. Well done for having the guts to do this and many thanks for sharing with us.
    G-Shocks - GW-5000, DW-5030C, GW-6900 & DW-5600E.
    Chronographs - Heuer Monaco 73633B, Tissot Quickster & Festina 9472.

Wish list - DW-5025D, DW-5000ML, DW-5700ML, vintage Heuers, Tudor Heritage Chrono, Seiko SBDC 001 "Sumo" & Stowa Prodiver.

Owned in the past -
    GWF-1000, GW-M5600BC, GW-M5600, G-5500TS-8 & Seiko 7016-5001.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful watch, congrats. I've chased the postman down for a package before myself

Awesome shoots there and you are indeed a brave man!

What tool did you use to remove that case back without a mark on it?
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Congrats kung!

Well, considering you did put together your GW5000 from the ground up I'm not entirely surprised that you have the confidence (or the curiosity for that matter!) to take apart this T5030 for close examination...but thanks for showing us all something cool :)

Good job on intercepting the post van too. Probably makes it all the more memorable acquiring this piece :)

Wear it in good health!

Sent from the 'droid.

Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post

Thanks. I used a jaxa tool. Tool on the floor, watch on top. Press down hard and turn. It is on pretty tight from the factory and it squeals when it is unscrewing for the first time!

Btw, I also installed a composite bracelet but switched back to resin because I wanted all the metal parts to be titanium. The wrist shot is with the bracelet

Exactly what I was wondering as soon as I saw the pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joakim Agren View Post

Cool thread. I had similar experience about that they left the notice without even try to ring the bell. And then the van chase down story.

Anyway GWT5030 has very interesting build and parts. Does the ti case get DLC?

Quote Originally Posted by GShockMe View Post
    Cool thread. I had similar experience about that they left the notice without even try to ring the bell. And then the van chase down story.

Anyway GWT5030 has very interesting build and parts. Does the ti case get DLC?

In this case, she didn't even leave a notice, she just said that she left a notice on her computer when in fact she didn't even stop by. Yes, the case is all DLC coated

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information