GWX-5600B-7 arrived - review and pics
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: GWX-5600B-7 arrived - review and pics

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GWX-5600B-7 arrived - review and pics

Hi,
    So I thought I'll give it a few days on the wrist before I write a little something about this model.
    The main reason I bought this one ist the fact that it shows time in timer, stopwatch and alarm mode - something I'm very fond of . It also looks good and is pretty cheap (99US$ on ebay) for such a new model. However the normal display version is quite expensive 'cause it's only sold in Japan - at least as far as I can see.
    The features are pretty neat - except for the short stopwatch duration (60min):
    - multiband 6
    - tough solar
    - tide/moon features (8 segment moon-phase)
    - world-time
    - alarm (the usual 4+snooze)
    - stopwatch 60min
    - timer: this one is nice - two consecutive 99min 55sec timers - setable in 5-sec increments with up to 10 times auto-repeat and a nice double-tone sound at the end
    - glossy resin bezel and strap
    - purple accents on the bezel and display

module number of the negative display version: 3222
    positive display: 3215

The module numbers are different because of the moon-phase which is "inverted" so that it always shows the moon "white on black". And as soon as there are changes on the module the number is also different.

So here are some pics:

time-keeping screen:

tide/moon - unfortunately the watch doesn't "remember" the last chosen screen like on the G-7900 - it always starts with tide and if you want moon-age you gotta press adjust. It does have that nice "wave-effect" when changing to the tide/moon display - the LCD-elements do a little "dance" to make it look like waves. The GWF-1000 also has this feature and the GW-7900.

moon-age:

world-time:

alarm:

stopwatch:

countdown timer:

And now the nice details - the "grid" pattern on the strap:

buckle is marked "Casio Japan" btw.

and the back:

and on the wrist:

The timer functions are exactly the same as on the Casio W-S200 - so I thought I'd check the "test screen" to see the real module used in both watches - and guess what - it's the same:

The W-S200 has module 3215.316 and the GWX-5600B-7 has 3215.011. Reminds me of the G-9000 and G-7900 which also have the same "base-module".

Now the biggest criticism - the display. I took the time to take a few comparison shots with some other negative display G-Shocks I have - it was in no way "laboratory conditions" but it gives you an idea of how it compares to others - and unfortunately it wasn't very good in that competition:
    group shot:

compared with the best negative display ever on a G-Shock - the G-7800B:

now with the worst I have - the GT-001 (from 1996):

G-8000-4:

G-8000-3:

G-7710C-2:

G-7710-1:

So compared to others it's not very good - and considering the fact that Casio already made watches like the G-7710-1 or G-7800B which have extraordinarily good negative displays this one is a step back. Maybe Casio should have done it like on the DW-5600/6900 with negative displays and make the digits thicker so that more light gets reflected from the LCD therefore making a better contrast. If I'd be any good at modding displays I think I'd try a conversion to positive - however since it has solar I don't care about using the backlight quite frequently.
    And another thing - which I think is also true for the GW-M5600 and GLS-5600 models - when comparing it to a DW-5600E or DW-5000SL the buttons are just slightly shorter which makes it impossible for me to press them with my thumb (like I can do on the DW-5600E or DW-500SL), I have to use my fingernail - IMO a flawed design - maybe 1 mm less that makes all the difference between good useability and bad.
    So once again I'm afraid Casio failed in giving us the perfect G. It's close however - the features are great but the display and buttons make it miss it's full potential. I still like it however . And since it was so cheap it still is a bargain despite it's flaws.
    Now I'm eagerly awaiting the GLS-5600L I got from ebay for little money and the GW-M5600 I bought from a friendly member on the forum to compare those three very different 5600 models. I'm also seriously tempted to get a DW-5600MS .
    That's the G-bug in action - makes you love even the not-so-perfect ones and makes you wanna get more .

Greetings, Sedi
    taimur, Marrin and BookEight like this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Re: GWX-5600B-7 arrived - review and pics

Great review, thanks!

From time to time I'm tempted to get my first negative display, but I always hesitate, as just checking the time in a split-second glance is my most important requirement. Reading your review, and especially seeing your comparative pics, still leads me to believe the whole neg display is not for me...

I would love a 5600 style with tide & moon data though, that looks awesome... if only the yellow/green surf foundation had Atomic timekeeping... oh well, I'm too picky I reckon..

Thanks again, Paul

Glad you like the review. The GRX is great, too and I love the colors. Atomic time-keeping is the candy on top but I wanted this one because there's not too many digital G-Shocks out there with atomic reception that show time in timer and stopwatch mode. The GWX-5600-1 was just too expensive and I didn't really like the color-scheme. The perfect version would be the positive display of the GWX-5600-1 in the bezel and strap of the GWX-5600B-7. Should I ever find a GWX-5600-1 for a good price I might go for it.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Great info on the modules's similarity
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Excellent review, Sedi. Thanks for writing this up.

Excellent review and great photos! Nice watch!

Despite the poor readability, still a pretty cool looking model~Cheers!

I find the readability about the same as the GW-7900B, great outdoors but barely readable indoors.

Doesn't bother me because that's what the EL is there for

Quote Originally Posted by gobulls View Post
    Doesn't bother me because that's what the EL is there for
    Yes, you're right - it doesn't bother me as much as my review suggests. It might not be fair comparing it with the G-7800 or G-7710 'cause those two models have an adjustable contrast which I always keep on the highest setting. And the other watches in my comparison are pretty similar in contrast to the GWX.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Great info on the modules's similarity
    Well, the only thing similar between W-S200 and GWX-5600 is the timer - the rest is different:
    W-S200:
    - 100hr stopwatch with record mode
    - of course no tide/moon features
    - LED backlight
    - no atomic reception

But the "base module" is the same. I guess there's only a limited amount of functions a module is capable of. If something is added something else has to go - at least in most cases. On the G-7900 e.g. the added tide/moon feature doesn't take away anything from the other functions of the "base module". Only the display layout is altered - the useless graphic readout on the G-9000 is changed to a moon phase on the G-7900. I'm always amazed on how the modules are designed in allowing for different feature sets on different models with the same basic module number.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information