Novice Review MRG 7700B 1BJF
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Novice Review MRG 7700B 1BJF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Novice Review MRG 7700B 1BJF

Hi folks I am attempting a novice review of the Casio MRG 7700B 1BJF. This watch was purchased direct from Japan with the help of Mr Shinya Kobayashi from Tokeikan (Takekawa Ltd) watch shop in Tochigi, Japan. I will elaborate more on his invaluable assistance in the later part of the review.

The watch is a replacement of my current daily wear, the Seiko Astron SAST 017, which goes back into the display box for safe-keeping. So there will be some inevitable comparisons between these two watches.

Attached at the bottom are the pictures of the watch straight out of the box (courtesy of Mr Kobayashi) , and also on my wrist.

I confess that I have a weakness, some would say fondness, for twisted metal time pieces which maintain a high degree of accuracy. My previous purchase of the Seiko Astron SAST 017 was predicated on some basic requirements which included;
    a) Automatic GPS Sync;
    b) Tough Solar self-renewing energy source;
    c) High intensity Titanium Finish;
    d) Sapphire Crystal Cover;
    e) Ceramic Bezel;

The MRG 7700B B1BJF meets most of these criterias except for a) and e). Instead of GPS, it relies on Casios Multi-Band 6 waveceptor technology to sync to an Atomic Clock via radio waves from 6 emitting towers located in US, Japan, China, Europe and Taiwan. As I am located in Singapore, I am well outside the effective RC range of these towers, however I am told it is possible to achieve a successful sync on high ground in certain parts of the island. I have also found a neat JJY Simulator which can be loaded on IOS or Android to an iPhone or Android Mobile to allow the watch to sync via this app. I will again elaborate on this in the later part of the review.

As my purchase was on-line and this watch was not available locally in Singapore, I was quite concerned on how the actual watch would appear. What added to my confusion is that there is an earlier model, the MRG 7700B 1AJF which seemed very similar except for the gold highlights on the hour markings. There are very few YouTube videos of the MRG 7700B 1BJF (see link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9DXBSdnSWU ), although there are more videos of the MRG 7700B 1AJF see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8i9Wh8_O1A].

What is not apparent from the pictures and the videos is the relatively smaller size of the watch. The specs on paper state that case size is supposed to be 46.8mm, which is slightly smaller than the 47mm case size on my Seiko Astron. So I expected a watch of similar heft and size. But the actual watch itself looked and felt smaller. You can see the side by side comparisons of the 2 watches in the attached pictures. If you like big sized watches in the 48-50mm case size range, you may have second thoughts about buying this MRG and should instead consider its larger cousins.

I have to confess I was initially disappointed when I first took the watch out of the box, and this is also a reminder to all you folks to actually view the physical product itself before you commit to an on-line purchase as online pictures and youtube reviews can be rather inaccurate. But having worn the watch for several days now, I have grown accustomed to its lighter weight and heft, and find it much more comfy than the beefy Astron. This MRG has a lower profile from the Astron SAST 017 and also thankfully has no protruding crown. The buttons are embedded in the recesses of the case itself and makes for a much more comfy daily wear. The Astrons high profile and protruding crown is an occasional discomfort and not that easy on the back of my hand. Trying doing pushups with the watch on and the Astron Crown leaves an imprint on the back of my hand. I had no such issue with the MRG.

The other feature of the watch which is not so accurately displayed in pictures and videos is the colour and texture of the watch. And in this regard this turned out to be a huge positive and pleasant surprise. The watch shows up in some pictures as being black DLC. In fact, with the actual watch on my hand now, the colour is closer to the Gun-Metal shade and matches very nicely with the DLC titanium sallaz polished alloy which is also present in the case and bracelet. Due perhaps to this finish, the watch is not a finger print magnet and holds up well after many touches. In terms of hue, colour and texture it very closely matches it larger brother, the MRG G1000, which is much more expensive and beyond my limited budget.

The watch face has hour and minute hands, there is no second hand and I have to rely on the digital display in time-keeping mode to check this. The relatively smaller case and face also mean Casio has a smaller canvas to work with, and I suspect this is why they left out the 9 oclock hourly marking. For the average person, these are not deal breakers in themselves but if you are a pedantic watch purchaser and expect a high degree of accuracy wherein the finer details matter, these do detract from the overall presentation of the watch.

To overcome the geographic limits of the 6 Rc wave captor towers (as I am in Singapore). I was able to sync the watch using the JJY Simulator. There is an iOS version of this app for iPhones and iPad, and also an Android version and these are in the website links below.

IOS JJY Sim: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jjy-...431054911?mt=8

Android JJY Sim: http://apk4lollipop.com/down_APK_JJYエミュ_Android-5-lollipop.html

To achieve the sync I have to;

1) Set the home city of the watch to Tokyo.
    2) Launch the App and start Sync.
    3) Set the watch to Manually receive the RC.
    4) Connect a pair of earphones from the phone and position these on the face of the watch.
    5) Set the volume to maximum. You will hear a rather irritating high pitch beep.
    6) The watch arrow on the left sub-dial will move to W to show it is working to receive the signal.
    7) The digital readouts will go blank.
    8) Once a successful sync is achieved you will see Get in the top digital read out.
    9) The bottom digital read-out will display the time and date of the successful sync.
    10) You can then reset the watch to the home time and city.

This is a rather tedious process that I would not like to repeat on a daily/regular basis, so I do miss the automatic daily GPS syncs of the Astron. The requirement to sync regularly via manual press of buttons will, over a long period of years, cumulatively result in wear and tear on the buttons shortening the lifespan of the watch. However this was a limitation that I was mentally prepared for before I bought the watch and in all fairness to this watch, the syncs would be automatic if i was within the effective range of the emitting towers.

I am waiting for Casio to launch a pure GPS sync watch (and not a hybrid GPS and Waveceptor watch) which will be more useful for users in any part of the world. In my humble view having both a GPS and Waveceptor sync in a watch is over-kill and also may result in a waste of energy as the watch may be doing syncs daily for both GPS and Waveceptor receptions when this is not needed.

The other issue which confounds me is why each of the emitting towers do not adopt a common RC frequency which can be used on one band? At the moment each of the emitting towers have individual frequencies in the 40-70khz range which requires specific tuning on waveceptor watches (hence the Multi-Band 6 configuration). We have no such issues with GPS watches as they sync to any available GPS satellite. This is not the case for Waveceptor watches.

GPS technology is not without its limitations and there are days when my Astron cannot sync when i am indoors. But unless you are a vampire, we all venture out into daylight at some point in our daily ritual and the global reach of GPS technology allows for a sync. This is the future as there are no geographic constraints which limit the sync radius of the watch.

At the risk of deviating from the review of the watch, when will Casio, Seiko and Citizen design a GPS watch which will measure distance so runners can use this as a daily running watch. I currently have to rely on my TomTom to record my daily runs. As the technology watches by these manufacturers already are GPS capable, their move into this stage currently dominated by the likes of Garmin, Suunto, TomTom etc is long overdue.

Ok, you can take comfort that we are near the end of this review. If you are still with me at this stage you exhibit infinite patience, here are my final conclusions;

1) Do I regret this purchase?
    No, I have been itching for a MRG GunMetal DLC Titanium watch for awhile and this meets my basic purchase criteria.

2) Is the watch small, could it be larger?
    Yes, its on the small side and I was initially disappointed. But this is rather personal and subjective as others have told me the watch looks great and reasonably sized on my wrist. It also helps that i do not have very large wrists (at just below 17cm).

3) Would I recommend this watch?
    Well, again this is subjective. If the budget permits, go for the MRG G1000 and you will not be disappointed.
    But in all fairness this watch is not in the same price range and for those with financial constraints like me, the much smaller price tag (its half the price of the GunMetal version of the MRG G1000) justifies the purchase.

4) Am I happy with the build quality of the watch?
    Yes. Happy but not elated. Notwithstanding my grouses and peeves, this feels and looks like a premium product. The brush metal sallaz finish feels great on my skin.

5) Are there any design flaws or imperfections?
    HELL YES, this watch is relying on and constrained by existing waveceptor technology. The smaller case also means there is no 9 oclock hourly marker. And the absence of a second hand detracts from the premium feel of the watch. Casio, this is supposed to be a premium MRG line, you could have done better really.

Ok thats the end. For those who had the patience to read this lengthy review to its final words, thank you for your infinite patience. Please share with me your comments as well as any errors, corrections or commissions which i am sure exist in this review.

To keep the review brief my review of Mr Kobayashi and his good service level is in the following page below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Novice Review MRG 7700B 1BJF

This purchase would not have been possible without the assistance and help from Mr Shinya Kobayashi, the Sales Manager of Tokeikan. He answered all my queries and also provided pictures of the watch (which you see attached above). My order on Rakuten was swiftly processed and once I placed the order, the watch was taken of the Rakuten list and not available for sale.

Unlike the ebay and amazon purchases where payment was immediate, I was given a 2 day period after I made the order to effect payment on PayPal. This is no obligations and I am told I can still cancel the order if I was not comfortable. This 2 day period was immensely useful as I was able to exchange emails with Mr Kobayashi to resolve questions on the watch, delivery method, price, warranty etc.

The official retail price of the watch includes taxes which Tokeikan informs me on its website is not applicable for foreign buyers. Tokeikan nets off and deducts any sales tax from the official listed price of the watch so I get some additional savings. This is only confirmed at the point when I make payment on PayPal and the final payment excludes the tax levy.

I summarise below in chronological order the sequence of events that occurred for this transaction;

1) Monday 27 July 2015 (at night) order placed for the watch;
    2) On same day the watch is removed from the Rakuten website and no longer available for sale;
    3) Automatic email is received to confirm Order placement on same day;
    4) On Tuesday 28 July 2015 a Payment Notification is issued from Tokeikan to confirm order details, shipping address and final payment price, adjusted to deduct tax levies).
    5) There is a Payment Deadline: 29 July 2015
    6) During this period emails are exchanged with Mr Kobayashi who faithfully answered all my queries, IN THE SAME ORDER AS THEY ARISE (typical Japanese efficiency and attention to detail).
    7) Mr Kobayashi emailed me detailed images of the watch including the warranty, manual, box, papers.
    8) Mr Kobayashi explained that the Warranty is for 3 years but is only available in Japan. If there are problems I can mail the watch back to him for repair.
    9) Mr Kobayashi also explained the warranty is recognized and supported by Casio Service Center in Japan. This is very important for me as there are many third-party vendors who are unable to provide a similar warranty by Casio Service Center.
    10) Payment was made on 28 July 2015 on PayPal (the preferred payment route).
    11) On 29 July 2015 9.50am I receive an email confirmation of receipt of payment in English (there were earlier confirmations but these were in Japanese) as well as updates that shipping arrangements are in progress.
    12) I emailed Mr Kobayashi to request that he sets the watch home city time to Singapore and also that he adjust the watch bracelet to fit my 17cm wrist. He confirms that he has done this in subsequent email.
    13) On 29 July 2015 at 5.26pm I received an email from Tokeikan confirming shipment has been made via EMS with a tracking number.
    14) The package left Tokyo Japan on same day on 29 July 2015, testimony of japanese efficiency.
    15) EMS tracking showed the parcel arrived in Singapore on 30 July 2015 (Thursday)
    16) Here's where due to geographic limitations, Japanese efficiency came to an abrupt end and i was at the mercy of local Singapore customs who, for reasons beyond me, saw it fit to retain a NON DUTIABLE ITEM which is not subject to local taxes, for over 2 business days.
    17) I finally received the package on 3 August 2015 on Monday afternoon.

The watch was very well packaged housed in a tough outer box which was surrounded by air cushions and straws which protected an inner box. This inner box was also packed with cushion and housed the MRG Box which contained the watch.

The watch came with Warranty and a Japanese instruction manual.

Upon my email request, Mr Kobayashi sent me an English Manual on the same day.

Below are links to his store:
    ڳŷԾ۲ҳס״

Store name Clock Museum
    Corporate name Ltd. Yukihide
    Location Yubinbango320-0802
    Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture perilla-cho 7-2
    TEL 028-651-0328
    FAX 028-639-1582
    e-mail [email protected]Or[email protected]
    Store Operations Officer Kobayashi Shin也
    Business hours AM10: 00 ~ PM7: 00

A Big Thank you to Mr Kobayashi for his excellent help and service.

Would i recommend this seller? HELL YES !!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR READING
    Last edited by Nightwind; August 7th, 2015 at 05:50.
    lvt likes this.

Great review of a relatively rare watch, I love MRGs and it is great to read more about it. I especially enjoyed the section on Radio reception on GPS reception, I'm in Australia without radio reception as well, that smartphone app trick looks interesting, and I'll have to try it out when I get home. I have a MRG-G1000D myself, and I don't think having a radio and GPS is an issue, as the radio is meant to be switched off when the home time zone is set to one without radio reception, I do agree on the GPS not being perfect though, as the watch never syncs when I'm not wearing it and it sits inside a glass box near the window. To be honest, the quartz itself is accurate enough anyway, so I'm fine a weekly sync when I wear it and when the condition is right

By the way, my MRG says hi :)

Name:  20150619_094324.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  1.58 MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congratulations on a stunning watch.
    Was it a display model or factory fresh?
    I'm always, maybe needlessly, a bit concerned about buying a display model.

Thanks Aalin, let me know if you managed to get a sync using the JJY sim. Thats a very nice MRG G1000D but alas it was beyond my budget constraints. Congrats on your purchase. I think additional to DLC it might also have titanium carbide treatment.? The gun metal MRG G1000B is all DLC, case and bracelet. And i fell in love with it at first sight but alas it was also waaay above my budget.

I managed to get both my small humble MRG 7700B 1BJF next to the MRG G1000B and i will share the pics with you later.

BTW I did not know the MRG would not auto sync if the home city designated is not within range of a RC tower? I was trying to figure how how to disable the auto sync function (which is suppossed to occur between 12mid-night to 5am) but unless i set to power safe mode i dont see how i can achieve this. This will be redundant if the autosync is off.

Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    Great review of a relatively rare watch, I love MRGs and it is great to read more about it. I especially enjoyed the section on Radio reception on GPS reception, I'm in Australia without radio reception as well, that smartphone app trick looks interesting, and I'll have to try it out when I get home. I have a MRG-G1000D myself, and I don't think having a radio and GPS is an issue, as the radio is meant to be switched off when the home time zone is set to one without radio reception, I do agree on the GPS not being perfect though, as the watch never syncs when I'm not wearing it and it sits inside a glass box near the window. To be honest, the quartz itself is accurate enough anyway, so I'm fine a weekly sync when I wear it and when the condition is right

By the way, my MRG says hi :)

Name:  20150619_094324.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  1.58 MB

Hi i did not purchase this MRG direct from the G Factory premium store in Japan. So i cannot say its "factory fresh". It probably sat in its box in the Tokeikan store for awhile, but it is a more recent model that is still in production at G Factory premium (unlike the older MRG 7700B 1AJF) so its shelf time would have been limited.

For me its still BNIB as i did examine every inch of the pictures of the watch from every angle on my 5k retina iMac 27" blown up and it was flawless. The watch was also in original plastic wrap when i unboxed it.

And i did get a 30% of the RP (original RP was USD1810) when i bought it from Tokeikan store. So i have no regrets on the price of the purchase.

There was a pre-owned MRG 7700B 1AJF on eLady going for below USD1k but that had flaws and scratches on the case which i noticed on my iMac and i gave that purchase a miss. So your concerns are indeed well founded.

Quote Originally Posted by spikeyadrian View Post
    Congratulations on a stunning watch.
    Was it a display model or factory fresh?
    I'm always, maybe needlessly, a bit concerned about buying a display model.
    Last edited by Nightwind; August 9th, 2015 at 03:29.

Hi Aalin here are the comparison pics between the MRG G1000B and my smaller much more humble MRG 7700B 1BJF. With both watches in hand they spot the same Gunmetal DLC Titanium case and bracelet. Thats where the similarities end;

Attachment 4932617Attachment 4932649Attachment 4932665

For your info the MRG 7700B series is not available here in Singapore so the G Factory sales people were rather intrigued with my little piece. lol

After almost a week on my wrist i have accepted its relatively smaller case size. I was also told that the MRG G1000 is exceptionally large for a MRG at just under 50mm. Most MRGs are in the 46.8mm case size range.

I also found that when i tried on the MRG G1000B on my wrist it really felt huge, even larger than the 47mm case size of my Astron. So perhaps in hindsight this not not the right watch for folks with smaller wrist sizes like me (below 17cm). It looks great on your wrist because you have a bigger wrist size.

The MRG 7700B case and bracelet is very similar to that of MRG 7500 and i suspect Casio may have re-used the case and bracelet and simply added new internal upgrades to the watch mechanisms. I have no issues with that as I like the case and bracelet of the MRG 7500B https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEt5am_Wtt8

I think the watch would be perfect if they increased the case size to 47mm. But thats just my own subjective preference.

The only concern now is how long the DLC coat will last before it begins to dull with age. Only time will tell.
    Last edited by Nightwind; August 9th, 2015 at 04:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwind View Post
    Thanks Aalin, let me know if you managed to get a sync using the JJY sim. Thats a very nice MRG G1000D but alas it was beyond my budget constraints. Congrats on your purchase. I think additional to DLC it might also have titanium carbide treatment.? The gun metal MRG G1000B is all DLC, case and bracelet. And i fell in love with it at first sight but alas it was also waaay above my budget.

I managed to get both my small humble MRG 7700B 1BJF next to the MRG G1000B and i will share the pics with you later.

BTW I did not know the MRG would not auto sync if the home city designated is not within range of a RC tower? I was trying to figure how how to disable the auto sync function (which is suppossed to occur between 12mid-night to 5am) but unless i set to power safe mode i dont see how i can achieve this. This will be redundant if the autosync is off.
    I couldn't try the JJY sim, doesn't seem to be compatible with Android lollipop. Thanks for the compliment on my MRG, I went the with D model as I saw on a thread here where the DLC clasp gets some scratches over time exposing the silver titanium underneath. Also like the contrast between the silver case and the DLC bezel, and yes it has a titanium carbide treatment, but titanium in general are more likely to be scratched, hopefully this watch will hold up well. I really love my MRG so far, love having a G-Shock that can be worn with suits and a G-Shock that is very high in quality that all my friends were surprised that it is a G-Shock when they complement how nice my watch is

As for turning off auto sync, I'm not sure if what I said is true actually. I only assumed it to be the case cause on my digital GW models, the radio auto sync is turned off when I set my home time zone to Sydney

Hmm strange, it works ok on my Samsung tab, but than again my tab 7 is over 3 years old lol. Can u try the IOS version? if u have a ipad or iphone?

I cant find a windows version for the app but i think if u ran Bluestacks on your PC it might load an run android apps. I have not tried that as its only a theory.

On the auto-sync i hope u r right as the watch will waste lots of energy if it searches for the towers everynight. It makes sense though to diable this app if the home city is not near a tower.

M kind of worried now if the DLC coat will dull or if it will scratch and reveal the silver underside. I thought titanium was a harder alloy than stainless steel.

And i am a little confused on the difference between DLC (Diamond Like Coat) and the titanium carbide treatment. They r not the same but i struggle to graps the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    I couldn't try the JJY sim, doesn't seem to be compatible with Android lollipop. Thanks for the compliment on my MRG, I went the with D model as I saw on a thread here where the DLC clasp gets some scratches over time exposing the silver titanium underneath. Also like the contrast between the silver case and the DLC bezel, and yes it has a titanium carbide treatment, but titanium in general are more likely to be scratched, hopefully this watch will hold up well. I really love my MRG so far, love having a G-Shock that can be worn with suits and a G-Shock that is very high in quality that all my friends were surprised that it is a G-Shock when they complement how nice my watch is

As for turning off auto sync, I'm not sure if what I said is true actually. I only assumed it to be the case cause on my digital GW models, the radio auto sync is turned off when I set my home time zone to Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwind View Post
    Hmm strange, it works ok on my Samsung tab, but than again my tab 7 is over 3 years old lol. Can u try the IOS version? if u have a ipad or iphone?

I cant find a windows version for the app but i think if u ran Bluestacks on your PC it might load an run android apps. I have not tried that as its only a theory.

On the auto-sync i hope u r right as the watch will waste lots of energy if it searches for the towers everynight. It makes sense though to diable this app if the home city is not near a tower.

M kind of worried now if the DLC coat will dull or if it will scratch and reveal the silver underside. I thought titanium was a harder alloy than stainless steel.

And i am a little confused on the difference between DLC (Diamond Like Coat) and the titanium carbide treatment. They r not the same but i struggle to graps the difference.
    I only have android device running lollipop, I'll try the bluestack method later. It's cool to try out, but I'm fine with not having sync as my Gs are all quite accurate

My knowledge is limited as well, but to my understanding, DLC is a coating that is meant to be even more scratch resistant than the carbide treatment. However, titanium in general are more scratch prone then stainless steel. My main concern with scratches on watch is the clasp on the bracelet as I type on PC for 8 hours a day at work. On my old automatic on stainless steel bracelet the clasp had a lot of scratches over time, I was worried that a DLC coating when scratched will show the silver titanium underneath, so I went with the silver one. I'm fine with scratches, as long as they are uniform in colour

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information