A "poor man's" GD-350? W-735H
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sedi
  • 1 Post By cal..45

Thread: A "poor man's" GD-350? W-735H

A "poor man's" GD-350? W-735H

Hi,
    when I first got my GD-350 I wasn't too happy with the strap (got used to it though and find it not less comfy than other Gs right now) - so I ordered the W-735H which was released at about the same time and which also features a vibration alarm and houses the same huge battery (CR2032). It arrived today and here's some 1st impressions:

When I ordered it I thought it might make a good poor man's GD-350 - however it can not really fullfill that expectation. I't a nice wach all by itself though - I really like the looks and the grey resin in combination with the red lettering - it bears a slight resemblance to the DW-8400 Mudman IMO:

c) casio.jp

Display layout, color scheme and case design are similar.

A look at the module:
    The back tells us it's 3416:
    http://www2.casio.co.jp/manual_pdf/w...php/qw3416.pdf
    But a look at the test screen reveals the "base module" is 3242.16 which is the same as module 1949 used in the W-93H. So my assumption that the module might be based on the GD-350's 3403 was not true - Casio uses the same base modules for different watches quite often - like the GWX-5600, W-S200, W-S220, GWX-8900 and STW-1000 (probably also AQ-S800/810 and AWG-M100) which all share the same base module but mostly only have the same timer while the rest of the features is not 100% the same.
    So in this case the only common feature between GD-350 and W-735H is the vibration alarm. Opposed to what the manual suggested you cannot see current time in timer and stopwatch mode - current time is only displayed as long as timer or stopwatch are not yet started and are then replaced with the hour counter - the timer only displays current time when not started if you don't set a value for the hours.

The watch has timer (24 hrs setable to the second but without repeat), stopwatch (24 hrs), one alarm and dual time - it also features a quick return (if you use one function the next press of the mode button get's you back to time-keeping).
    So, just looking at functionality this watch is absolutely no match for the GD-350, but I still think it's a nice piece - the design is cool with it's almost vintage touch - the acrylic crystal is protected by the bezel, the illumination is as strong as on the GD-350 - I was hoping for something a little less bright - like in the W-S200. You can access the vibration alarm with one button press - like on the G(L)-7500/7510 - simply press and hold the "D"-button.
    The battery is rated for 10 years with one illumination and one vibe alarm per day.
    The nicest thing is the design and color - yet another grey Casio - almost the same color as the GD-350-8

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics - I'm planning to get a Casio Exilim from my nect paycheck - if I don't notice a watch I "need" in the meantime.

The buttons are easy to press and textured:

Strap features the plastic buckle that became standard for the cheapo Casios - maybe I'll change it for a steel one some day.
    Btw: white balance seems to be off - the lettering is perfectly "Casio red" - not orange as on the pics (at least they look orange on my monitor).

So what's the verdict from playing around with the watch for some time?:

pro:
    - 1/3 the price of the GD-350
    - vibe alarm
    - has the bases covered functionwise
    - 10 yr battery
    - nice buttons
    - cool looks
    - very crisp display

con:
    - glaring super illuminator
    - no multiple alarms or snooze
    - no current time in timer and STW mode as the manual suggested

cheers, Sedi
    Paul Dan and Marrin like this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Re: A "poor man's" GD-350? W-735H

I realy don,t know what happened with your g shock I have never had an issue with mine I have had the g 350 square dial for the last 10 years never had an issue the strap is amazing it is so strong that for the first 6 years I literally never took the watch off I swam with it at the beach in the pool in the summer winter and never had an issue thats when I bought another g shock my first one was in 2000

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by john111 View Post
    I realy don,t know what happened with your g shock I have never had an issue with mine I have had the g 350 square dial for the last 10 years never had an issue the strap is amazing it is so strong that for the first 6 years I literally never took the watch off I swam with it at the beach in the pool in the summer winter and never had an issue thats when I bought another g shock my first one was in 2000
    You know, drug and alcohol abuse is a bad thing, while interpunction is a good one....

cheers
    Marrin likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sedi,

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but as you and I seem to have similar tastes in digital watches, I thought I'd say that I picked up one of these by chance the other day while shopping. I wasn't familiar with the model, but the high contrast display, vibe alarm, buttons, 10 year battery, and super illuminator convinced me to give it a try. I have been contemplating the GD-350, but am growing tired of hugemongus, thick watches for everyday office wear. I had told myself that I wasn't buying any more digital watches, so I may have to shed one or two. Having a vibrating alarm is really useful to me as I get older. The beeps on this one are pretty loud, though, too.
    -Brian

Suunto Core All-Black; Air Blue "Blue Angels" Chronograph; Casio AMW320R; 2013 Seiko SKX781 "Orange Monster"; 2008 Tag Heuer Formula One Chronograph; 2002 Fossil 200m Titanium; Timex Flix 30 Lap Ironman; Casio DW-290
    G-Shocks: GW-500; GW-6900

I just found this thread; I have been enjoying the W735H I picked up last year. Here's the link to a thread I started about it in the public forum:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/its-...nt-980402.html
    "I'm just a man who loves savings... and pie."

Thread Information