Rangeman GW-9400 1ER Part 2: Outdoor review
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Rangeman GW-9400 1ER Part 2: Outdoor review

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rangeman GW-9400 1ER Part 2: Outdoor review

Hey everybody ,

I recently did my first ever review over the Rangeman GW-9400 and I thought after using it outdoors for a few days, I let you guys know what I think of it.

So this will be an outdoor functionality review:

Name:  normal.jpg
Views: 35530
Size:  247.6 KB

Barometer:
    Firstly, I think with every ABC watch you have to make adjustments to its accuracy of measurement. In my opinion it is not a precision instrument according ABC functions. But to be honest I am very surprised of the quality of the new v3 sensor, it works fast and quite accurate. For using the barometer to predict weather, I use it on a certain altitude for a while and then it delivers good results. What I really like about the rangeman is that you can see a barometric trendchart in your main screen, with time and date (as seen below) quite useful while outdoors

Name:  overview.jpg
Views: 27570
Size:  259.3 KB
    I was nearly at the same altitude for 42 hours and the result is a good and clear falling barometric pressure curve --> and yes the weather got worse and it startet to rain. I am used to the riseman, which works really well for me, the rangeman is just faster and the chart is displayed bigger. Also this Barometric alarm is quite ok...it works well but I donīt use it outdoors, I much more prefer to see the 42 hours measurement displayed instead of the 21. Here a more detailed shot:
    Name:  baro_1.jpg
Views: 23036
Size:  276.8 KB

Compass:
    As I mentioned in my Part 1 review, I was wondering about the readability of the little bezel which displays the compass arrows. And to be honest I am still not sure what to think of it. I guess it is good but not great. Especially when the indicating NORTH arrow is exactly on one of the bezels quarter lines (I hope you know what I mean, need to improve my english I guess).

What I really like is that the watch displayes quarters, eighths and sixteenth parts of the cardinal direction; not every ABC watch does that.
    Name:  compass.jpg
Views: 22364
Size:  245.7 KB

Altimeter:
    Works really well, as I mentioned about the barometer before. I calibrated it at my hometown where I know the exact altitude and after a few days it still is quite accurate. I went for a hike and did a 400m change in altitude and still it was spot on...(Rangeman: 803 m and the place was marked at 801,5 m)
    Name:  altitude.jpg
Views: 24731
Size:  257.1 KB
    I donīt use the altitude trendchart so often when I am outdoors but the altitude differential value is quite useful for me. When you donīt have an orientation point you can use it to have at least an approximate value of your contour line and if you know the altitude of your target location you can just reach this altitude and walk left or right (50/50 chance you get it right) That happened to me in India, without GPS and map, but I had my Riseman --> worked perfectly. This method is also mentioned in the manual, I really like that fact, too.

Sunset/Sunrise:
    This function is a real asset, I calibrated it first because I donīt live at sea level. But after calibrating it works perfect...spot on...
    Name:  sunset.jpg
Views: 22805
Size:  255.3 KB
    I think this is very useful outdoors, especially for hunters and photo enthusiasts. In the little bezel there is the current time, sunset time and sunrise time displayed .

Display visibility (day and night):
    As I stated in my review part 1, the display is awsome. Even under hard light conditions it is very easy to read. I donīt know how that is working with the negative display. Even in darker conditions the display is easy to read without using the light. Much better in comparison to the riseman. If you need to use the light you can change between 1 and 3 seconds of light duration, this is very practical, if your navigating by night or need to see all of the information the display is offering.
    one second felt always a bit too short!

In the next picture I try to show you guys the awsome display in shadow and direct sunlight. I think this is a very important point of an ABC watch and in comparison to the PRW 2500 it is much better in direct sun light, perhaps this duplex display of the Protrek reflects more.
    Name:  display_light_shadow.jpg
Views: 22500
Size:  227.8 KB

Overall:
    I think this is an really good outdoor ABC watch, the new v3 sensor works good and shows more preciseness. Stability should not be an issue for this "tank" and the display is perfect. The only negative thing I could spot is the small bezel inside and its readability outdoors. My wrist is a bit over 8 inches and the watch feels very comfortable but you feel the weight if you are used to a riseman for example. I really like the Rangeman...

Last but not least
    ,during my first review my dog was really enthusiastic and curious about the rangeman, I guess she accepted the Rangeman, now!
    Name:  P1030992.JPG
Views: 22089
Size:  253.7 KB

all the best,

Toby

Last edited by Tobarm1907; October 9th, 2013 at 20:03.

Re: Rangeman GW-9400 1ER Part 2: Outdoor review

Great review Toby! And happy to hear she approves!

How do you calibrate sunrise/sunset?

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

I just did it via this way:

Name:  sd.jpg
Views: 20072
Size:  263.5 KB

did not change much, just 4 or 5 minutes to the factory settings on my one.

cheers
    milad_b, tgdtown and gripmaster like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Toby, thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience with the Rangeman.

I am really looking forward to having the altitude functionality, I have several G-Shocks but the rangeman will be my first ABC watch. I have one on order (coming from Italy to USA) and am reading up all I can about it! Thanks again, Rob

Great outdoor Review.
    Yes the display is amazing.
    Better than my PRW20007.
    It's an improvement.

Cheers.
    Currently wearing "Moby" my Gulfmaster Quad Sensor GWN-Q1000-7AER

Quote Originally Posted by Tobarm1907 View Post
    I just did it via this way:

Name:  sd.jpg
Views: 20072
Size:  263.5 KB

did not change much, just 4 or 5 minutes to the factory settings on my one.

cheers
    Accurate Sunrise/sunset times require accurate Lat/Lon entry which most smartphones can provide. iPhone 5S provides Lat/Lon in compass mode.
    sidecross likes this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Thank you for posting this great review, Toby. It is thoughtful, informative, features great close-up details, and has great charm (the dog especially).
    sidecross likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Nice dog (I love dogs) Oh, and nice watch review too of course

cheers
    sidecross likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

great shots.....ok .hows the comfort of strap?and does it seem durable to last a long time?i am in a fix to get carbon fiber strap version or save money and go for normal 1er version

I think the resin strap is awsome. I really like the new mixture casio is using, it is much more flexible than the strap on the riseman but seems to be very durable. Also the structure makes it very wearable when you are sweaty or itīs raining.

I wear it at work and it feels very comfortable and stable. The only thing for me to critizise is the metal strap holder, I prefer the resin ones. The buckle looks solid too.

I donīt know abnout the carbon fibre ones but I think they are not so flexible due to the fibre inlay but I guess some are prefering the stiff and some the more flexible ones (like I do)...if someone has both models it would be nice to hear about the quality of the strap...

all the best,

Toby

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information