Review of the Casio Baby-G BGD-120P (specifically, BGD-120P-1ER), module 3212.
World time 29 time zones (48 cities + coordinated universal time),
city code display,
daylight saving on/off
Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99''
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
Measuring unit: 1 second
Input range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
5 independent daily alarms (4 one-time alarms and 1 snooze alarm)
Hourly time signal
Full auto-calendar (to year 2099)
Button operation tone on/off
Regular timekeeping: Hour, minute, second, pm, date, day
Accuracy: ±30 seconds per month
Approx. battery life: 3 years on CR1616
Size of case/total weight
41.1 X 40.9 X 12.5 mm / 39.2 g
Wearable around skins, during swimming, snorkeling, jet-skiing, but not while scuba diving.
Specifications as measured by me (using a kitchen scale and a non-scientific ruler):
Weight: 39gm (± 1gm)
Dimensions: 42mm x 42mm x 14 (± 1mm)
Reasons for purchase
Girl friend wanted a watch she could wear to the beach as well as to the gym. She wanted something that was rated WR to 200m so she could swim without worrying about the watch getting wrecked. I was looking for a g-shock for myself so I thought why not a g-shock for her as well. After that, it was a matter of choosing the baby-g that looked best.
Her main concerns were:
- Ability to wear to gym without the worry of it getting wrecked.
- Ability to wear to water without the worry of something happening to the watch. She sometimes swims with the watch too and wanted a "200m WR" watch instead of a "100m WR" one (which most Baby-Gs are rated to).
Good, back and the ugly.
- The watch came in the rectangular cardboad g-shock box. The watch itself was wrapped in a translucent cellophane bag. The display had sticky cellophane on too. The watch does not come in a tin.
- Resin band has glossy finish.
- The buckle looks same as rest of the band (shiny resin).
- The watch is symmetric in shape. The color combination is very good and is really eye catching. Looks sporty but not blingy.
- Bullbars on the watch case. Should be good for protection. Look good and go very well with the overall styling of the watch.
- Easy to tell time on reverse display. GF thinks that the notion of reverse displays being difficult to read is hogwash.
- Hourly time indicator is loud enough to be noticed but quiet enough not to wake you up at night.
- User friendly.
Good for everyday use.
Shape, looks, aesthetics
Overall looks and whether it suits the personality of the wearer
- Symmetric round shape
- Good color combination (black/pink)
- Shiny resin(?) band
- Not too thick
- Not too big
- Sporty looking (in fact, the color combination matches gym clothing by a famous company)
- Reverse display does look good
- One of my girlfriend's friend mentioned that the watch looked a bit chunky. Even my girlfriend was surprised. I'll deduct one point for that, as it seems that not everyone likes it at the first glance.
Tough and good looking.
- Countdown timer
- Hourly chime
- I wish it had the ability to set countdown timer to a granularity finer than a minute. I would have deducted one point; but hey, I'm not the wearer. (Deduct one point if you care about this)
Good for gym and sports.
Ease of telling time, watch getting out of your way
- Reverse display is very legible.
- I had reservations about the legibility of reverse display in low light conditions and spoke to GF about it. She instantly switched on the illumination and said, "That's what the light's for". :)
- The only complaint from her is that the strap gets a bit sweaty at times (it's summer here).
- Another minor complaint is that the strap is a little too long. This causes the watch to move away from the center of wrist.
- The bullbars on the watch case make it a bit harder to clean the face.
- Personally, I wish the illumination lasted longer than a second. Again, I'm not the one wearing it so my opinion doesn't really count.
Score: 8/10 (or maybe 7.5/10 if you are finicky)
Perfect for beach.
A nice looking feminine watch. Aesthetically pleasing and feature rich (unless your girl is a watch nerd). The watch looks sporty and was purchased with the intention of being worn after work and over the weekend (mainly for gym and beach), but my GF has been able to pull it off with female business attire. She loves the watch so much that she even wears it to work now. No one thinks it looks out of place (so far).
Makes for a perfect present for the girls. GF loves it. Proof is in the pudding.
Overall Score: 9/10