Review: Edifice EFA131BK-1AV
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheDarkHorseOne

Thread: Review: Edifice EFA131BK-1AV

Review: Edifice EFA131BK-1AV

I put this elsewhere on the forums, but found this spot so I felt I should put it here as well. I ask you to pay attention to addendum, as I've had it for about 3 weeks now.

Please don't be disappointed for lack of personal pictures, but this is the goods from the Casio Edifice website.

Now, I only learned about winning this beauty on Sunday, but lo and behold, the Fedex guy comes in the shop today with a very puffy package, heheh. Sunday to Wednesday isn't a bad wait at all after being flabbergasted and excited as could be upon learning of my luck, eh?
    So, I ripped into the thing and got down to the unveil. One niggle. Didn't come with a manual. Damn, but oh well, it's free! PDF downloaded in less than 5 minutes online, so no biggie for me. Meantime, I got to play with my new toy to learn about it, which is also a great joy for me. Experiencing the whole of the watch via fiddling, heh. Also, I've had 2 Casios already, one being my current daily driver PAW-1500, and it was all rather intuitive for me.
    So, inside the box was a tin with Casio Edifice prominently displayed. Inside that, after removal of the foam covering was the watch, complete with those plastic tearoffs that keep certain parts from rubbing in shipping. Awesome. Strip those away, and there she is....
    WOW. First observation is the heft of it. By looking at the above picture, you may get the implication that the band and the watch may be resin, like a G-Shock, for instance. Not true. This is full stainless, seemingly powder coated black, or some other application. In other words, when I lifted it out, I was instantly impressed by the weight of it. The dial is as you see it above, but you may not get the sense of depth from the picture. The digital aspects are recessed from the face proper, and then the 'speed dial' is raised just above that, followed by the hour and minute hand. Then there is an interior slant to the minute designators and white hashes to denote the hours beyond the blue hashes that serve the same function, up to the glass. It really is an oustanding looking watch that you really don't get the measure of via a 2 dimensional picture.
    On to the features...
    The watch was 'set' persay, but not SET to my specs. Set it to Eastern (NYC). Got it. Wait, that isn't right. Oh, DST! Got it. Fine tune it to my atomically correct PAW. Easy, done deal. As I said above, intuitive if you've owned this brand. Ticking away beautifully. (Oh! I forgot to try it on! Tiny wrist, big full band... Time for some tailoring. Called a jeweler, and got it sized on the way home from work. Nice fit!)
    On to what drew me to it in the first place, the tachymeter. As you can see from my vitals above, I'm from Indy, and this is a racing town. I couldn't wait to try this. I set it to 2.5, then tried to remember a recent qualifying lap to stop it near to judge it's speed dial. Folks, it does what it says it does. Pretty accurately as well, though I'm not math savvy and don't have a slide rule handy to prove it out, heheh. It gives you 1/1000th, as advertised, and when you stop it, the spead dial whips around to show you the speed. This works, I'm told via the manual, for both KPH and MPH. All you need is to set the lap distance, and you're off! I'll test it next weekend during quals for IndyCar Edmonton to get the real poop on it. Can't wait! Two of my passions combined in a watch. Too cool.
    The countdown timer is what it is. I use these occasionally to time a steak on the grill, or a timed puzzle, or any time I want to time something. Nice feature to have. The steak is outside, and you're inside? Your watch tells you to run out and flip, heheh.
    World time. I'm not much of a traveler anymore, but my previous job, I would be going to a new place every week for a week at a time. I would have loved to have had this watch back then. First, when you modally go to WT, it tells you the time of that area, and with a button click, the date as well. Now, this feature I didn't figure out on my own at work, but if you're in WT and you click the top two buttons at the same time, the watch sets itself to that time, and switches your 'home time' to the digital. Seeing the dial jump to life and move to that zone is really cool, heheh. Click the same two buttons again, and it marches back to home time. I've seen that feature in other watches, but the treatment of it here is really cool.
    Alarms. Self explanatory. This one, though, has a snooze, heheheh. Being a bear to wake, it'll be nice to have this feature on the side table next to me for a little back-up. You've got 4 other alarms beyond the snooze as well, for appointments, or whatever suits your fancy.
    Going to take a little getting used to for the heft. I'm used to my PAW which is substantial in size, but not weight with the resin. But that's really it in a nutshell for me. A rather large nutshell, upon scrolling back just now, heheh.
    Again, many thanks to Ernie, WUS, and Casio USA for this gift. Hoped like heck that I'd win this one, and am still rather incredulous that it happened. But there it is, on my wrist now and for many, many more years to come. What an absolute treat!! I've bragged on it all day long, heheh.
    Bring on race day.... I'm prepared!!

Addendum: Had the watch for three weeks now, and I'm still in love with this baby. I used it for the quals of IndyCar and F-1 and it's simply brilliant. The description on the website reads that it's +/- 30 seconds a month. Balderdash. I set it with my atomic when I got it and it's only lost a second in about three weeks.

If you're a fan of racing, you need this watch. I set it to 3.2 for the Nurburgring and it was pretty spot on with speeds, given my inaccuracy of pushing the button, heheh. With Edmonton in Indycar, the track was 2.56 miles. It can't get that accurate, so I bumped to 2.6 and it was near spot on even so. I'll be wearing it every race weekend to come.

I also want to mention something here which Casio is trending towards, and it really pleases me. This watch is beautiful. I mean it's architecturally very well crafted and pleasing in how it is laid out. The quality and aesthetics of this watch is top notch. In the past, Casio has been function over form, in my opinion. This watch totally breaks that line of thinking from me into tiny, little, crumbling and fading pieces. If you get the chance to hold one in your paws, take a look at the dial. You'll see small green accents along the right side of the dial. To show the attention to detail, the smaller dial you see there which shows speed has the left side all white hashes, and the right is green at the accent points, 50, 60, 70, 80, etc. This watch is full of that attention. The hour markers are blue accented by chrome, and they have a depth to them I didn't mention above. The illumination on the hands works, but I couldn't tell you for how long. There's always the light, heheh.

I've seen and admired my share of flat faced chronos. They're beautiful. This takes it into three wonderful dimensions. Top to bottom, crystal to clasp, I love this thing. Thanks again to those involved that allowed me to win this.
    Chronopolis likes this.

Re: Review: Edifice EFA131BK-1AV

Nice review - thx for doing one.
    While this particular model is not my favorite in their lineup (not fond of digital, is all), I have come to discover recently how pumped up their designs have become - breaking out of the all-function mold that they are justly famous for.
    Some of their chronos look absolutely terrific - I mean the ones that can be worn to the office without looking like you're on your way to some more "athletic" event.
    And, at their price points, it's just amazing. All of it.
    Last edited by Chronopolis; August 18th, 2011 at 13:23.

Thanks, Chrono. It truly is a watch I'm proud to wear. I'd also be proud of having a Tag or Rolex with a tachy on my wrist, but I don't think they have all the features this watch has, like programmable lap length. For the money, I think this watch is a steal. If you admire all watches and not just the names, I think you can find a Casio to be a treasured and innovative attachment to your wrist.

Of course, I'm a gadget guy so I love multifunctional things.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good review, nice watch. I was interested in this one when I saw it on Amazon a few months back. May pick one up someday.

Thread Information