Review: OCW-T1000-7ajf

Thread: Review: OCW-T1000-7ajf

Review: OCW-T1000-7ajf

Thought I would post a review of my new Casio Oceanus Smart-Access model OCW-T1000-7ajf.

For those that are unfamilar with the Oceanus line, this is Casio's high-end luxury brand. High end materials and finishing seperate the Oceanus models from other Casio offerings. The OCW-T1000 models are currently only available in Japan. I ordered mine directly from Japan from Japan Direct Shop Japan Direct Shop
    Features:
    • Titanium Case and bracelet
    • Sapphire Crystal
    • Solar Powered
    • Atomic Time Keeping (6-Band)
    • 5- Motor Drive (with individual motors for hour/min/sec hands)
    • Countdown Timer (1 hour)
    • Stopwatch (120 min)
    • Alarm
    • Tough Movement
    • Smart-Access

First Impressions:
    The watch box is classy looking, in a navy blue with a unique "wave" style opening that compliments the nautical theme of the Oceanus line.

I was immediately impressed with the looks of the watch, pictures are one thing, but seeing is believing. I went with the white faced version, having never owned a white faced watch, there is a subtle metallic blue accent around the watch face, these same blue accents are seen at the 12 o'clock marker, the second hand, the logo, and the 6 o'clock sub-dial. Overall the watch looks and feels very high-end and the fit and finishing is excellent. This is my first titanium watch, and I love that I can wear a larger watch without the weight being an issue.

The watch face can appear busy, but I think that is to be expected with an all analog atomic multi-time-zone watch. However, all markers are clearly visible and the time zone markings are well situated on the outside edge of the dial.

I ended up having to remove 4-links from the bracelet to fit my 7" wrist. I was able to remove the links myself using a micro tool set. The bracelet itself is very comfortable with a brushed finish and doesn't grab arm hair at all.

Use:

Smart-Access: This is the first watch from Casio to feature their Smart Access feature. Previous Oceanus models used a four pusher configuration to control watch functions. This model reduces the number of pushers to 2 and adds a crown for time setting and mode access. The crown is actually interesting in that there are no mechanical connections to the watch, instead it used a magnetic pickup to detect movement of the crown. In addition to pulling out for adjustment like a traditional crown, it also functions as a button, by pressing on the crown the user can access the various watch modes. This feature makes it very easy to switch between the different modes (timekeeping, stopwatch, countdown, and alarm).

However, this is also my only real gripe with the watch. The button can be accidently pressed if it rests against the wrist and then the wrist is flexed backward. When this occurs the watch can switch out of timekeeping mode and end up in one of the modes such as stopwatch. If the watch has switched modes, then you must return to timekeeping mode (easiest way is to press the crown in for 2 secs), however you can expect a few seconds delay while the watch hands reset themselves. This is as good a spot as any to discuss the movement features.
    Motor: The 5-Motor function of the watch is great, I've seen many other watches where the minute hand shares a motor with either the hour or second hand, which requires many revolutions of the hands when moving between different watch functions. The only hand that ever requires more than a single revolution (or actually a partial revolution) is the hour hand since it shares a motor with the 24-hour subdial. In case you are wondering here are the motor controls: 1. Hour (&24-hoursubdial), 2. Minute, 3. Second, 4. Date, 5. Mode sub-dial. I have to admit that watching the hands move around the dial on their own is one of the coolest things about this watch, and the 5-motor drive really makes this fast.
    Atomic: Atomic timekeeping was a huge selling point for me in my descision, and coming off an automatic watch, I wanted one that kept accurate time. The Atomic timekeeping function has worked great. I find that if I leave my watch on my wrist at night that it generally will not correctly recieve the sync signal. However, if I leave it on my dresser at night it has synced 100% of the time. I don't have to place the watch in any unusual positions, just set it on the dresser, which is located near a window and it syncs flawlessly.

Functions:
    Stopwatch: The stopwatch function works well, although I don't find myself using it all that often. When activated the second hand sweeps around the dial measuring 1/20 sec, while the minute hand tracks the seconds. The hour hand tracks the minutes and can measure 2 hours by using the 24 hour sub-dial to indicate elapsed time (ie. reading beyond 12 on the sub-dial indicate that over 60 minutes have elapsed.) The second hand will only move during the first 30 seconds of timing, although this measurement is tracked internally. When the stopwatch is stopped the hand will snap to the correct measurement.
    Countdown Timer: The count down timer can be set in one minute increments up to 60 minutes. Once the timer has elapsed the alarm sounds for 10 seconds. While a longer timer would be nice, I really only use mine for measuring 10-15 minute increments so it works just fine for me. The alarm is not very loud, but is easily heard.
    Alarm: I haven’t used this function, but I doubt the alarm is loud enough to wake someone from sleep.
    Second Time Zone: The watch has the ability to track a second time zone, pressing and pressing and holding the 2 o’clock pusher swaps the primary and second time zone and set the hands to the new time. While this is a cool feature and it’s extremely easy to set the time zones, I don’t really have that much use for tracking a different timezone. I leave mine set to UTC Greenwich Mean.
    Lume: I don't have a Lume shot yet, but the Lume is very good. It's much better in fact than my Omega Speedmaster Pro. The Lume starts out very bright, but fades quickly. In darkness it's still readable after an hour or so, but it's faint.

Conclusions: Overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase, I know that there are some who will pale at the thought of spending this much on a Casio, but I think you would be hard pressed to find another watch the offers this level of features at a similar price. I'm irritated by the accidental switching of mode via the crown button. It's frustrating to look at the time and see a non-timekeeping mode displayed. I suspect a person with a larger wrist might not see this issue as much. I'm glad to answer any questions anyone might have.

Sean

Re: Review: OCW-T1000-7ajf

Couple more shots:

I would never doubt that it is money well spent! It looks great.

Thanks for the review. How often do you find that your wrist accidentally operates the crown? With the crown guards on the case, I would hope it's not too often. Could you wear it for a day and not switch modes by mistake, or does it happen all the time?
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Coped to reviews.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Awesome review, thanks! This is my Casio grail. I absolutely love this watch, the movement is stunning!

Thread Information