SGW-300
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: SGW-300

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SGW-300

Hi,
    so just a few hours ago the postlady was here and handed me a nice little package from Hong-Kong:

nice stamps, too:

Never had one with one of those little stands before:

Very nicely packed, too - the box around the stand was even wrapped in a plastic bag.
    But before I bore you out of your minds - the object of desire :

A little adjusting of time zones etc. and on the wrist it goes - damn, it's a big one

First impression:
    - very crisp display
    - nice easy-to-use buttons
    - finally the color scheme I always hoped for on the Riseman
    - time in all modes (I knew that before of course - module is: 3202)
    - double LED backlight - nice touch
    - very comfy with the nylon strap
    - checked the pressure with an online weather site - spot on

features:
    - the functions are almost identical with the GW-9200 or PAW-500 - except for the missing solar/atomic capabilities and it has no REC mode or altimeter stopwatch

I think Casio has come up with a really nice alternative to the Riseman and their more expensive Pathfinders - with a little clip-on compass or the SGW-100 on the other wrist you get full ABC features. And the price is unbeatable - about 1/4 of the Riseman depending on where you buy. I'll be back later with some more pics.

Greetings, Sedi
    slicknickns likes this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Re: SGW-300 - unwrapping and first impressions

[duplicate material edited by moderator]

How accurate is the temperture gauge and altimeter?

I own a riseman and the altimeter does suffer +/- pressure drift and the temperture gauge is wrist sensitive as all abc watches tend to be

Re: SGW-300 - unwrapping and first impressions

Cheapo Casios come up trumps again.

Always good to hear your opinions, Sedi.

Thread copied to 'Reviews'.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: SGW-300

Here's part II:

Hi,
    so now that I got it a few days - the promised review with a little more in-depth info.
    First the basics:

Model number: SGW-300HB-3AVDR

Module: 3202
    Case: plastic
    Crystal: acrylic, flat
    Strap: nylon with fake leather applications and steel buckle - width: 20 mm
    Size: approx. 47 mm lug-to-lug, 49 mm across the sensor, 45 from button to button (across the face), height: 14 mm
    Weight: 44 gr
    "Made in China"
    Water resistant: 100 m
    stainless steel back
    battery: CR2016 with approx. 3 years life-span according to Casio specs

Features:
    - time-keeping (hr,min,sec,day of the week,month,day,DST on/off - graphic area shows seconds count)

- barometer/thermometer (changeable between metric and imperial - however not when TYO is chosen as city code - then units are fixed to metric - so if you're an expatriate American living in Japan - simply use SEL as home city code )
    - as usual no sea level pressure
    - the graphic area shows the difference between the current pressure and the last measurement - however the manual is not really clear if the watch takes measurements on its own (like the Riseman) or only when in barometer mode - this would make quite a difference because in case it doesn't take measurements on its own (which I think is the case - given the fact that it uses a normal battery) then the graphic display can also show long-term trends when two measurements are taken on two different days for example
    - it also has a 'low-batt' warning indicator when battery power is too low to take any readings - it's not really clear from the manual if that indicator is always displayed or only when in sensor mode

- world-time with 48 cities in 31 timezones

- stopwatch: 24 hr, split time readings, two finishes

- countdown timer: 24 hr, no repeat, 1-min increments

- 5 daily alarms - no snooze (like on the Pathfinders)

- altimeter: 5 m increments, no alti-lock, no temp compensation (as usual)

- double LED illumination: amber (really nice ):

And now the little details and comparison to the Riseman - it has basically almost the same features but I'll tell you where they differ. Let's take a closer look at the construction first - sideshot:

sorry for the dirty sensor cover :oops:
    compared to the Riseman - the buttons look much better on the SGW-300 I think:

Easier to use with a nice texture to it and much smaller crevices between buttons and bezel - of course the SGW-300 has no resin bezel. The screws are not cosmetical but seem to actually fix the bezel and sensor cover to the case. The sensor cover on the Riseman looks sturdier however and is not fixed to the case but makes connection with a metal spring and is additionally made more shock proof with an o-ring. The sensor cover on the SGW-300 looks like a potentially weak spot because of the slots but if wearing the watch on the left wrist that area should be well protected. Well it's no G-Shock after all .

Considering the features:
    SGW-300: no solar, no atomic but it comes at around 1/4 of the price
    - it has no REC mode and no altimeter stopwatch like the Riseman. So you can't get any accumulated ascent/descent readings. You can however adjust the illumination duration - something that's missing on the GW-9200. The SGW-300 doesn't have auto-EL but that's a feature I hardly ever use anyway.
    The mode change beep and alarms are louder - probably because of the missing resin bezel.
    And one thing that I also think is better on the SGW-300 is the fact that it stays in barometer mode for around 1 hour till it automatically returns to time-keeping mode - the GW-9200 does so after a few minutes.
    The SGW-300 can also be muted but you have to do it in the time-setting menu - not by pressing 'mode' for 2 seconds like on the Riseman.
    The SGW-300H misses a barometric trend graph unfortunately, so weather changes are not as easily predictable as on the Riseman.
    - a nice little detail - when pressing "adjust" the watch displays 'set hold' till the digits start to blink - similar to the G-7800 - the 'adjust' delay (time till digits start blinking) is approx 2.5 sec

"Made in China"

- so far I can't say anything negative about my 'Made in China' Casios (DW-6600, AE-1000W, SGW-300H) - quite the opposite
    - all my 'MiC' Casios run exceptionally good - far better than specs - the AE-1000W even is my most precise quartz watch at around -1sec/month. The SGW-300H so far has lost 1 sec in 3 days which means it will probably end up at around -10sec/month (specs only say +/-30sec/month).

Last but not least - another wrist shot:

conclusion:
    I bought this one to replace my sold Riseman. So is it a worthy competitor? I think it is and there are some things I even like better about it - the illumination, the buttons, the color, the strap, the big digits. There are a lot of aspects, of course where it can't compete but all in all - especially considering the price - I think Casio really delivers once again. Even the finish and construction look very solid and precise. Only time can tell however how it will stand up to daily use - and since I'm a desk diver I'll probably never be able to tell how it really stands up to the demands of 'field-use' .
    What I especially like is the fact that it shows time in every mode - something that is quite important for a lot of people (including me) and something that Casio sometimes seems to forget to implement (especially on most of the newer G-Shocks ). And I also like the vintage feel of the watch with the three tone display. The LED illumination is excellent and adds to the crispness of the display because an EL-foil makes the display more blurry.
    So the SGW-300 gets a 'strong buy' from me - unbeatable 'bang for the buck' once again and a very nice Japanese-Chinese co-op .
    But be careful when your wrist is less than 7 in. - better try to find it in a store first and see how it looks on the wrist - this certainly is one of the bigger watches.
    So next on my 'cheapo-Casios-I-need-to-get'-list is the W-S200H .

Greetings, Sedi
    mclusky likes this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Exclamation Re: SGW-300

Dear Sedi,

Thanks for comprehensive review!

Here is mine, the resin version

SGW-300H

Barometer accuracy : Accurate as stated, as I compare with my PRG-80, only +/- 1 hpA. The same also apply for the Thermometer readings, as only +/- 0.5 Celcius. Not much different.

The only drawbacks is no trend graph to record previous readings such as seen in Risemen or Protrek's. For Altimeter, is just normal altimeter with no alti lock features nor memory recall capability.

Beside, the CDT have no auto-repeat indicator, but it is available in SGW-100.

Conclusion: This Casio Sport is one of the simplified Twin Sensor in market today, is a cheap (I bought around USD 76 + postage at local Ebay), full features entry version Alti-Baro solutions.

cheers,

yschow
    Attached Images Attached Images

very nice - yours looks even more 'old-school' because of the orange arrows on the buttons and the 'steel-look' (I guess it's also just plastic?) of the bezel ring. Looks even more like an old Protrek model. And :thanks for the comparison with the Pathfinder.

Greetings, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; October 24th, 2010 at 00:03.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Haha Sedi,

You're right! I'm am fan of old school type Casio. Whether is Casio Standard Digital, G-Shock or Protrek. Each of the series I will collect based on looks and functions. Since I discover this forum 1 year ago...is has triggered back my passion on Casio watches....which I have missed 15 years ago...

What I hope that Casio will not stop evolute without scarifying it's DNA of functionality, style etc.

Maybe in future, Casio will be release again the retro version of the DW-6700, using the SGW-300H as reference, by adding Tough Solar and Atomic Timekeeping...mmm, may be will addressed as Skyforce II, GW-6700??

cheers,

yschow

This is my BABY Casio SGW-300HD-1AVER
    Name:  20110827_0786.JPG
Views: 22125
Size:  1.31 MB
    Baby on my hand...

Name:  20110830_0791.JPG
Views: 9772
Size:  1.23 MB
    Today I am tested water resistant....no problem work as dragon

Name:  20110830_0792.JPG
Views: 14422
Size:  1,010.1 KB

First impresions....everything is the best and beautiful...
    we will see how it will work further....

Ziveli(on Serbian)= cheers, snajk94

Hi, whether it will hurt if I use it in sea water...salt etc. ?! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snajk94 View Post
    Hi, whether it will hurt if I use it in sea water...salt etc. ?! Thanks
    Just rinse it with clean water afterwards.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information