2 good photos out of 400

Thread: 2 good photos out of 400

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

2 good photos out of 400

I can't say I am too happy about the title. I spent about 2 hours in the early morning taking some photos with a new camera. I came home to see how they were and to my dismay everything had a blueish tint as can be seen in the swan photograph. I decided to go back out and play around a little bit more and got the photo of the bird in the first picture. What are some good tips for taking photos on a bright sunny day besides lowering the ISO and using a fast shutter speed?

“Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Re: 2 good photos out of 400

Use the right white balance?
    ::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    Use the right white balance?
    I kind of figured that one even though I completely blew it. I am hoping next weekend is gorgeous so I can redeem myself.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What camera do you own?

If it is an SLR then make sure you photograph in RAW. Some camera's offer RAW and JPG. It takes up more space, but then you can use the camera software, Photoshop, Lightroom or other RAW editing software to readjust the white balance without affecting the picture quality.

Actually you did a pretty good job, there is lots of useable data there. You just have to figure out how to massage it into the photo you WANT to see. You don't HAVE to shoot raw but it does help if you want to massively edit it later on. I gave this a few tweaks with photoshop. The only thing you can't save is a blurry shot or a shot that's completely white. If you would like to learn how to edit photos lynda.com has very helpful training videos that are short and centered on specific things you want to learn. They are also very reasonably priced. I am not a affiliated, just a happy customer.

Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

Just be glad you are shooting digital and not film... lol
    Ollech & Wajs MP2824-2 Military ~ Ocean Master Black 6497
    Rado Sapphire Gazelle II
    Seiko 6139-8040 SpeedTimer ~ SKX267 S-Wave ~ SNZF53 NEO Monster
    Swatch 1984 Black Magic GB10
    Vostok New Komandirskie K-34 ~ K-43 Kirovskie Automatic ~ 2605 (1960's) Gold Case with Red Dial

Actually you did a pretty good job, there is lots of useable data there. You just have to figure out how to massage it into the photo you WANT to see. You don't HAVE to shoot raw but it does help if you want to massively edit it later on. I gave this a few tweaks with photoshop. The only thing you can't save is a blurry shot or a shot that's completely white. If you would like to learn how to edit photos lynda.com has very helpful training videos that are short and centered on specific things you want to learn. They are also very reasonably priced. I am not a affiliated, just a happy customer.
    I am trying to stay away from Photoshop, I use to do digital editing in the 90's. I feel that once you start editing the photo it is not original anymore. I found some good information and read up. Haven't had a chance to get out again to take photos. I wanted to see if anyone here had any secrets they wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks for the information.

-- John Maynard Keynes

If you have a digital camera, using Photoshop (or other editing software) is the only way to process your photos correctly. When you took a photo on film and sent it to a lab they did the processing for you. It's not so much a matter of "keeping it original" as correctly processing the original. Most DSLR cameras also have onboard processing parameters you can adjust as well in terms of color and sharpness.

If you have a digital camera, using Photoshop (or other editing software) is the only way to process your photos correctly. When you took a photo on film and sent it to a lab they did the processing for you. It's not so much a matter of "keeping it original" as correctly processing the original. Most DSLR cameras also have onboard processing parameters you can adjust as well in terms of color and sharpness.
    I totally agree with this. Anyone who had developed and printed their own pictures using standard film know that there is a lot of work done in the darkroom to get the final print. From using filters, to dodging and burning, etc. (just as in Photoshop), making prints from film requires a lot of processing beyond the actual taking of the picture. Photoshop is basically your "digital darkroom".

DON

Pick up a good polarizing filter to reduce the reflection of sun bouncing off the water and cuts down on glare.

Don't know if you used one, but use a lens shade.

And of course - don't shoot into the sun

Also pick up the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Good reading and helps

DON

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information