Anyone here shoot 35mm film? - Page 2

Thread: Anyone here shoot 35mm film?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Anyone here shoot 35mm film?

I'd say go for it - Leica is top notch stuff. I've never used their SLRs, but the rangefinder I currently use is the M6 and a 50mm Summicron. Definitely slows me down (compared to DSLRs), focusing takes a little getting used to, but I like how compact it is. It's my new travel set up.

Hey thanks

Here in the UK a pre-owned M6 + 50mm M -cron is about £1500
    but the SLR R7 + R -cron lens 50mm is about £500

The R7 is a heavy metal beast, but quite compact compared to modern DSLRs, beautifully finished - made to the same quality as M's in Germany (the M lenses area little smaller)
    so it seems a pretty good deal. I borrowed my pal's M7 and M8 and loved them but out of my price range

si
    Last edited by Simon; October 6th, 2010 at 14:58.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Yes, I still use film. Not as much as I used to, as I have a DSLR and a couple of digital compact.

I still have a Canon 35mm SLR, Yashica T5 and Olympus mju1 which see occasional service.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think I will be shooting film for a while. Most of this was given to me by a friend. He also gave me enough paper and chemicals to print most of this film, as well as 2 top notch enlargers, one of them the famous Leica Focomat. So this is why I am going back to film and laying off the digital for a while.

Some shots of my freezer:

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I think I will be shooting film for a while. Most of this was given to me by a friend. He also gave me enough paper and chemicals to print most of this film, as well as 2 top notch enlargers, one of them the famous Leica Focomat. So this is why I am going back to film and laying off the digital for a while.
    Wow! That's some friend, and one seriously nice stash of film.

I have a couple of old 35mm cameras loaded with film that I am using alongside my D-SLR at the moment, namely a lovely old Nikon FM with 50mm f1.8 loaded with B&W film, and a Canon EOS 650 with 35mm f2 loaded with Fuji Reala.

I love shooting film as an alternative to digital - using the FM especially just takes that bit more thought to use and you do end up shooting more carefully when you know every frame costs you.
    Sure I could just use the digital and be happy, but I just enjoy getting out and shooting through some film.

If you are used to modern digital cameras, I would definitely recommend picking up an old manual camera of some form - however much I love my 400d, I have to admit that my old FM is just so much nicer in hand - compact but reassuringly heavy and solid, and all the moving parts glide smoothly or click solidly into place, even thirty odd years on from the date of manufacture. Even just the fact you have to consciously set the various parameters and adjust them as you go and cannot just rely on the autoexposure makes you approach things slightly differently, and is really a breath of fresh air from the buttons and menus of a modern camera.

Shop around and you can pick up a nice camera for fairly cheaply nowadays, things like the Nikon F or FM series, Canon F, earlier Olympus OM, Pentax, Minolta and others made some excellent manual cameras, stick a 50mm lens on the front and a nice roll of film inside and youa re good to go.

I have a bunch of old Minolta and Olympus manual focus cameras. I don't think that i've shot a roll through them in at least 6 years. They take fantastic pictures and you can do much of what you can do in photo shop with a set filters and by adjusting exposure and shutter speed.

It should be very cheap to get into these days, you should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Anyone here use all manual cameras n film? If so why? If not, why not?

si

Picture Re: Anyone here shoot 35mm film?

Yes,use a Canon P rangefinder w / Serenar 1.8 lens,and shoot B&W and develop my own.Go for it fella!

[QUOTE=Simon;3374199]Hi Guys - I got into photography through DSLR. Never owned an SLR film camera. But been thinking of buying one - drawn to the idea of manual focus, slowing down my shoot rate, thinking more about each shot, learning techniques which Digital photography has made redundant.

Anyone here use all manual cameras n film? If so why? If not, why not?

Hi Yep i still use film.

I got back into it by finding an old Nikon F301 with Nikkor zoom lens in a shop for £5.00, works just fine and if lose it I won't fall weeping to the floor.

tonyh

Selling cameras for 6 years while saving for college (1976 - 1982) was a great experience. It was a time when camera manufacturers were turning out some of the first "automatic" cameras, that is either aperture or shutter-speed priority, where the camera selects the other -- or programable -- or both/all three. My long lasting Minolta XE-7 was a workhorse with a Leica metal-leaf vertical focal plane shutter, mirror lock-up, and other great features (aperture priority or manual). However I liked other moderately priced semi-pro cameras such as the Canon A-1, which had all of these features and either shutter or aperture priority selection. What I use now for 35mm is a Minolta X-700 aperture priority or manual automatic, but it lacks some of the features such as mirror lock up. While the XE-7 has a built in eyepiece cover for shooting on a tripod (stopping light from entering through the eyepiece and affecting the exposure) the X-700 lacks that ability.

The trouble with older Minolta 35mm's is the hard-plastic eyepiece that scratches my glasses. As technology improved, I eventually owned a Nikon N90s, and this camera has many of the features of cameras past. If I wanted a moderately priced 35mm film camera, I would probably look for one of these again. The viewfinder was large and the eyepiece was rubber -- and a + / - diopter adjustment built in. So there are a lot of little things that made the difference for me. In the early 2000's I sold most of my equipment and started using digital... however I still have the X700 and several lenses, and a Hasselblad 501C, which is a remarkable 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 format camera.

Have fun! Let us see some of your photos.

Best regards.

Jack

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information