Anyone here shoot 35mm film?

Thread: Anyone here shoot 35mm film?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone here shoot 35mm film?

Hi Guys - I got into photography through DSLR. Never owned an SLR film camera. But been thinking of buying one - drawn to the idea of manual focus, slowing down my shoot rate, thinking more about each shot, learning techniques which Digital photography has made redundant.

Anyone here use all manual cameras n film? If so why? If not, why not?

si
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Re: Anyone here shoot 35mm film?

Yes.

Just give it a go. I shot these on a Nikon FE that I picked up in Budapest for a hundred bucks. All my non-G lenses work great with it, and I love the massive viewfinder. It's a perfect little brick of a camera.

DON

I'm trying it out. Got a Yashica GX aperture priority camera to test out, but so so light seals and little fungus on the lens. Have another one in better condition, but no film yet.

Few pictures left to finish off

Next loaded to test out is my fathers 60's Konica S2 and after that. Maybe a little Canon A35F I picked up for $8.00

Will see how it goes

My digital is a Panasonic LX3

DON

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yep. Started with it, and now I'm back for a darkroom course. Fm2n, and b/w kodak tmax film. Mix of fun and frustrating, and I shoot my d70 exclusively in manual mode.

yes, shooting mostly film, for much of the same reasons you mentioned. Although I started out shooting film before the DSLR was around to the masses. Back in 2003ish (or 2004 -can't remember) I got a Canon 1D MkII DSLR and spent a fortune on it, used it pretty heavily, taught myself how to use it, edit and work on images in PS, and print using an Epson. The results were spectacular, though I feel as if it comes by a bit too easy.

I went back to shooting mostly film to re-challenge myself, and get back to the way it's been done for a long time, and that includes getting my darkroom all set up and making prints that way.

And I currently have several film cameras - some fully manual, some with auto features, but the one I have been using most is an all manual rangefinder. Also I have been using a 4x5, and some pinhole cameras.
    Last edited by gnuyork; October 4th, 2010 at 15:16.

Haf

Quote Originally Posted by hydrocarbon View Post
    Just give it a go. I shot these on a Nikon FE that I picked up in Budapest for a hundred bucks. All my non-G lenses work great with it, and I love the massive viewfinder. It's a perfect little brick of a camera.
    That's the camera that I have been eyeballing at for quite some time, although I think a FE2 might serve me even better.

I love film. Digital is by far much less work and time, but there's something special about shooting on film.

Last film I shot was on a Contax 645 w/ 120 film. It's nice not worrying too much about white balance.

the 80mm f/2.0 that comes with the Contax is unbelievable.

Just get a dSLR that is compatible with your manual lenses...

I use several old school MF lenses on my D700.

Most dSLRs have M mode to give you total control.

Or, just pick up an old Nikon F w/50mm lens and shoot away.

You can set up a complete darkroom on the cheap these days.

I've shot film for a good while. My most recent camera, a Canon 7E was gifted to my nephew's GF, who's main camera recently died. She works for a newspaper in their hometown.

I do enjoy it, although don't like the long wait for feedback. I'm kinda impatient like that, want to make sure my shots are spot-on before I leave the scene.

~D
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Thanks for all the replies - I'm currently borrowing my friends Leica SLR R7 with a 50mm - he's prepared to sell it to me for a very very good price and i'm tempted. Just using it slows me down, makes m think more about the picture, light, etc

si
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information