Basic Equipment Good Shots

Thread: Basic Equipment Good Shots

Basic Equipment Good Shots

Hi all

I want to take some good pictures of my watches but only have a basicish compact digital camera. I have tried a few settings but just get blurry pics.

Any pointers on how to get clear sharp pics with basic equipment ??

GJ

Re: Basic Equipment Good Shots

Hmm..do you have a button with a flower on it on your camera?
    If so, that button allows you to make close up pictures..
    Kind Regards,
    GJ

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.....

blurry pictures..

Assuming that you do not always get blurry pictures you might be too close to the watch when you take a photo. As GJ said, you need to use some kind of macro function (which enables you to bring the camera closer to the object) or you need to take the photo from the minimum distance. Usually the camera warns you that you are getting too close. Otherwise manual may help (I don't know which camera you use so I cannot help here).

The problem might also be your shutter speed. If you use auto setting, the camera chooses shutter speed and aperture, based on a certain ISO-setting (which represents the light sensitivity). You could do a couple of things:
    1. use a tripod (always a good thing when you take pictures of watches)
    2. improve the lighting (e.g. extra lamps)
    3. increase your ISO setting
    4. increase your shutter speed. Things may get complicated if you do this.

If you take photos of your watch and don't want to spend money on a lighting box, the best thing is to use an old - transparent - plastic box and take your photos outside. Take the photo through a small hole. If you do this inside or during night, use lamps (can be desk lamps) on the left, right, and top.

Good luck,

Peter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Basic Equipment Good Shots

well i tried using a digital camera.. and it works fine... if you want to have a clearer and more crispier shot that like a very close up shots.. you need a more advance camera with a macro settings..

Re: blurry pictures..

Quote Originally Posted by pniev View Post
    If you take photos of your watch and don't want to spend money on a lighting box, the best thing is to use an old - transparent - plastic box and take your photos outside. Take the photo through a small hole. If you do this inside or during night, use lamps (can be desk lamps) on the left, right, and top.
    A lightbox can be built quite easily from supplies you have lying around. Here's my contraption built from an empty box and sheets of printer paper:

Guide at: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07...to-studio.html
    Lit by a flash in this picture, but could be replaced by strong halogen lamps as long as you set the camera to compensate.

Though to be honest, for $20 you can get a lightbox like this:

Which folds down into a 20cm pouch. Much handier.

Thread Information