Best Camera with Macro for $250 to $300

Thread: Best Camera with Macro for $250 to $300

Best Camera with Macro for $250 to $300

I am very confused by all the camera posts and would love some advice for purchasing a camera that does a super job with macro photography of watches. I am currently using a Samsung digimax 4500 Super ... a camera that was new about 5 years ago, and I use it without any flash and with the macro setting. I do pretty well with it but I know I can do better and I think the time is right for a new camera. So folks, for about $250 to $300 what is the best used or new camera buy out there. One that does a great job with macro and easily plugs into the USB port for quick uploading and editing. This is not a rocket science questions ... but it is so confusing out there when you get everyone talking about their particular cameras! Just tell me what to buy plain and simple, either on eBay or at the store ... a nice portable digital camera with a super macro function ... please!!! Thanks....

Re: Best Camera with Macro for $250 to $300

For that price a used Konika/Minolta G500 is the way to go

strange .. I see that one for $45 on eBay! Doesn't seem like very high quality. I am thinking that I can get a camera that normally sells for 5 or 600 dollars and get it for $250-$300 on ebay ... I want a digital camera, a winner for a variety of needs but a champion on taking macro photos of watches. Thanks anybody out there who can comment .. if you are not up to date on the latest cameras it can be very frustrating ... now of course I can go down to the local library and do an extensive search for Consumer Reports and come to some decision ... but I thought I would ask the watch forum as you all specialize in taking photos of those little watches in all their glory!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeachWatchLover View Post
    strange .. I see that one for $45 on eBay! Doesn't seem like very high quality. ...
    I beg to differ, http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03...dimageg500.asp

It was my first digital camera, you say you wanted a good macro camera... That's a great one, that's what I used a few years back to take so many watch pictures.

Check out the Point & Shoot cameras' macro mode specs. Like 2cm or 3cm or 4cm.

Use www.dpreview.com

I think Sony cameras can go slightly closer than Canons.

I Usually get a camera that does what I want it to do. No more, no less.
    In other words I do not buy one that has every conceivable gadget on that I simply will "maybe" use once in 500 shots.

So I need to take some nice close ups of my new watches as and when I can afford to buy yet another ('yet another one' is a phrase often used by my wife!) - but this is not really what I use my camera day in day out for.

My current cameras (Canon 20D wiith Sigma 18-50mm standard lens) and my Panasonic Lumix FZ50 (Leika 35-420mm equivalent 35mm lens) do not have any macro facility - as I basically don't need it.

For watch images I realised that I can get only so close....so what do I do.
    Buy a new lens (too expensive), new camera (why? there's nothing wrong with the ones I've got), extension tubes (silly prices if automatic).
    The other option I thought, well it's sort of old style, like I used to use maybe 30 years ago......What about a close-up lens...!
    Picked up a x10 close-up lens, which in my case fits any camera with 58mm filter thread on the end of the camera - it cost £9.50 on Ebay and stuck it on the end of the Canon and - brilliant.
    The result - pretty good pictures and about as close as I want.
    Example here - maybe not as good as some, but without flash, in ordinary daylight, taken handheld (no tripod) or preparation of any kind.....and for less that $20 - it will do just dandy!

Of course there are many compact cameras out there that will do a decent job, but my business is wildlife photograpy, big zooms and stuff, so for me you can't beat really the old SLR or in the Lumix case the DSLR one lens does all style - I mean it's so useful that you can then fit filters, UV, and of course close-up lenses so easily.

Not really replying to your query, but I was asked before by an SLR owner who was amazed at the huge prices being asked for extension tubes (he was desperate to take watch pics with his camera). So I thought I'd mention it again here. Wish you luck.

Thread Information