Best P&S in the $300 range particularly for takin gwatch photos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gaijin

Thread: Best P&S in the $300 range particularly for takin gwatch photos

Best P&S in the $300 range particularly for takin gwatch photos

I am sure this theme has probably been exhausted by now but please indulge me anyway. I am looking for a good P&S (NOT POS) camera in the $300 range. My primary motivation is to be able to take relatively decent watch photos as opposed to the horrendously amateurish blackberry shots i currently inflict upon my fellow forumites form time to time. I accept that i am too brutish and unskilled (photographically speaking) to make good use of a DSLR so my question, simply,is this.
    What is the best Point and Shoot in the $300 range (prefferably under0 for taking watch photos and why?

Re: Best P&S in the $300 range particularly for takin gwatch photos

Quote Originally Posted by otown View Post
    I am sure this theme has probably been exhausted by now but please indulge me anyway. I am looking for a good P&S (NOT POS) camera in the $300 range. My primary motivation is to be able to take relatively decent watch photos as opposed to the horrendously amateurish blackberry shots i currently inflict upon my fellow forumites form time to time. I accept that i am too brutish and unskilled (photographically speaking) to make good use of a DSLR so my question, simply,is this.
    What is the best Point and Shoot in the $300 range (prefferably under0 for taking watch photos and why?
    For about half your budget you can purchase this one:

Amazon.com: Casio Exilim EX-G1 12.1 MP Slim-line Endurance Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Black): Camera & Photo

Why is it good for watch pics?

Has a macro (closeup) setting for great close shots
    Built in flash
    12.1 megapixels for nice details
    Large LCD display to easily see what your pic looks like
    Full auto exposure with many "Best Shot" preprogrammed exposure tweeks for night shots, etc.
    Very rugged construction - waterproof, dustproof, snowproof - just the thing for those watch action shots.

I have one and it easily fits in a shirt pocket so it is available anytime. Really a great little Point and Shoot.

HTH

P.S. It also shoots great 720p/60 video and comes with neat editing software.
    otown likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

gaijin - thank you for a well thought out and exceedingly thorough answer. if no one else responds to this post i will be in good shape!
    Thanks again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Every camera can make the photos you want, but if you want a really good camera not just for macro, look at Canon S90. It is more expensive, but it is the best P&S.

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot S90 10MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-inch LCD: Camera & Photo

Also you can check Panasonic LX3.

same price range 370-400 USD

Quote Originally Posted by ipolit View Post
    Every camera can make the photos you want, but if you want a really good camera not just for macro, look at Canon S90. It is more expensive, but it is the best P&S.

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot S90 10MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-inch LCD: Camera & Photo

Also you can check Panasonic LX3.

same price range 370-400 USD
    Cool. Thanks.

Forget all about the other cameras. The Canon S5 IS is what you want. Great pictures, close-ups, Screen swivels and has a wonderful Zoom! Wish I never got rid of mine!

Canon Powershot-S5-Is Review: Overview

I too all these pictures when I had my Canon S5 IS

Last edited by C89ZX7R; May 8th, 2011 at 17:18.

Really nice advice except the smaller sensor, the darker lens and everything else.
    Forget about it.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States

a used Nikon CP8800 like mine. Huge sensor, 8MP, Psuedo manual controls along with all them Scene and presets. Phenomenal for watch pics (Manual Macro focus). BUT you have a bit of learning curve as this is NOT the easiest user interface. Paid $250 for mine in 2010. you can pick em up for between $75 and $150 on evilbay. I also use a CP5K but it's resting...
    Canon PowerShot S3 IS looks like a great choice if you can pick one up for cheap.

Take the "darker lens" comment with a grain of salt. I like "darker lenses" for my watch shots!
    USE A TRIPOD. Always!

Take a look at the Nikon P300. One of the best compact cameras you can buy for $300 or under.

Thread Information