Better camera better photography?

Thread: Better camera better photography?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Better camera better photography?

I often hear it said that a good photographer can get great pics from a lousy camera, whilst a bad photographer cant get half decent ones out of a great camera.

Does anyone here think that actually, improving the quality of camera/lenses really will improve skills and thus pics?

Please say yes, then this unimpressive amateur photographer can buy a pro Leica or a D3

si
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Re: Better camera better photography?

Of course you'll get better pics with a better camera

I'd say that is subjective. Will it improve your skills? May be...if you are willing to learn and learning is the reason of why bought a better camera/lens.

With better camera/lens you will get better quality on the technical side. You will get better resolution, better exposure(if you know a thing or 2 about exposure that is), better colors, contrast, etc. You won't get better quality from artistical point of view. Crappy composition is a crappy composition no matter what, and better camera won't make it a more interesting photo.

So if you want Leica, go ahead and buy it. If you find that it doesn't make your pictures better and you are disappointed, I'll give you my address to ship the Leica to...I'll even cover the shipping!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good question.
    My answear - NO.
    Best camera and lenses never will help bad photographer to make good shots as never better canvas and paints will make an artist more talented.

On the other hand - with Leica or any other hi-end camera from any brand photographer will HAVE to read manuals otherwise he will get results even more pathetic than with pointandshoot camera. Then he will have to justify the money he spent - so he will ask his friends who make more or less good pictures how to make better photo. And here we go. His level went up and up, he got some skills, etc.
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

Short answer: no.
    Longer answer, I've often felt that a good camera/ lens will make it easier for you to get a good shot. Now, that does assume that the person behind the shutter button has at least some interest in bettering themselves in the art of photography.

I've made some good photos that were pretty much impossible to accomplish with my previous camera (a Konica 4MP P&S). Faster focus, easier to manipulate controls, no lag time and speedy burst mode all are tools to help me get the shot I want. Not to mention the availability of more lenses than you can shake a monopod at.

Also, don't listen to those Nikon folks, go buy a nice Canon! :)
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

I'm going with NO also.

90% of the time i prefer shooting with my iphone.

If you have some time to kill I put all my iphone photos here (99% are watch related lol)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/00photo/

Here's couple from that set....

If you can't get your shot with an iphone you're not going to be able to get it with any other camera. There's just more buttons to push.
    ::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

I assume thhose shots are from 3GS right? any software or just the plain stock one?

They are quite nice, from an iPhone it's har to make better ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    I'm going with NO also.

If you can't get your shot with an iphone you're not going to be able to get it with any other camera. There's just more buttons to push.
    Amen, brother. I see people all the time with a fortune in the latest gear with no clue about lighting or composition. They tend to post indoor direct flash shots of their cat to show some perceived technical shortcoming in their equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by shun View Post
    I assume thhose shots are from 3GS right? any software or just the plain stock one?

They are quite nice, from an iPhone it's har to make better ones.
    Yes, a 3GS iphone. Great Camera . I use a couple free photo editing apps to tweak them on the iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrocarbon View Post
    Amen, brother. I see people all the time with a fortune in the latest gear with no clue about lighting or composition. They tend to post indoor direct flash shots of their cat to show some perceived technical shortcoming in their equipment...
    I do that too lol. Usually it's a waterbottle and not a cat though. And I swear, it was backfocusing!
    Last edited by 00Photo; April 21st, 2010 at 01:54.
    ::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

Also a NO here ;)

A lot of people tell me: "Ofcourse your pictures are good, you have a professional camera!"

I always give them my camera and tell them to go ahead and make a picture. Most of the time they end up with an awfull photo.

My experience is the more professional gear you use, the harder it is to get a good pic.
    - IWC Ingenieur Automatic IW3227-01
    - Omega Speedmaster Mitsukoshi
    - Casio G-Shock G8900DGK-7 DGK
    - Casio G-Shock GW-7900RD-4JF

Shortlist
    - Panerai Radiomir 1940 PAM512

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information