Brand new Nikon D90 - Page 2

Thread: Brand new Nikon D90

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Haf

Re: Brand new Nikon D90

Congrats for your camera, I owned a D80 and handled the D90 many times, these are great little cameras. The D90 will keep you busy for a lot of time, happy shooting

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    I hear ya, Si. I'm real excited to learn how to take better pictures with it, as it's a completely different experience from using my Canon G10.

What are you using currently?
    I traded mine in against a D300s - pretty much the same camera technically only larger, heavier, magnesium body etc. To be honest, I should have stayed with the D90 and then moved up to the D700 once I'd gained some skills - not sure the D300s is enough of an advantage over the D90 to justify the price increase - and the smaller D90 is more user friendly size-wise - you live n learn

I am using a 50mm 1.4 lens which is fast and crisp and a 24-70 2.8 pro lens which is indulgent but the perfect lens for my sort of photography - cant speak highly enough for it - I bought that lens instead of an Emperor Darth Tuna :)

si
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Actually, I have Barry - the past couple WRUWs. Haha, my new pics must not be very good!

I really need to learn how to use this beast!
    Your Sumo is looking good mate. Was that taken with your D90 in a light box?
    Cheers,
    Barry

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've got a D90 - I sold a D300 and a D40 having settled on this, as it's a lot more compact and lightweight compared to the bigger cameras, whilst having the same image quality. Size and weight matter to me whilst hillwalking, though I do tend to undo this a bit by using a 18-200 or 16-35 zoom which are both big and heavy!
    There's a good simple user guide on Ken Rockwell's site here: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/users-guide/index.htm

Ken is an independent reviewer/geek who calls a spade a spade!

I've a load of Nikon lenses some quite old; just recently when doing very close-up pictures for ebay I made this:

which I had to use the 200mm setting on one of the zooms to get enough magnification - and this lens was the only one I had that focused close enough. For a lot of macro photography I guess a dedicated macro lens will let you focus closer, but you don't want to be too close or you'll prevent light getting on the subject (and photography is all about getting light on the subject )

Quote Originally Posted by bazman View Post
    Haha, that's my bad. I've just not been over to the WRUW threads yet. I'll head over there now.
    No worries, mate. And by the way, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this...hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I traded mine in against a D300s - pretty much the same camera technically only larger, heavier, magnesium body etc. To be honest, I should have stayed with the D90 and then moved up to the D700 once I'd gained some skills - not sure the D300s is enough of an advantage over the D90 to justify the price increase - and the smaller D90 is more user friendly size-wise - you live n learn

I am using a 50mm 1.4 lens which is fast and crisp and a 24-70 2.8 pro lens which is indulgent but the perfect lens for my sort of photography - cant speak highly enough for it - I bought that lens instead of an Emperor Darth Tuna :)

si
    OK, slow down for me a little, Si - I'm a newbie.

The 1.4 is the aperture I take it? And what does the 50mm signify? Does that mean that it's a fixed zoom?

What is a "pro lens"?

Quote Originally Posted by bazman View Post
    Your Sumo is looking good mate. Was that taken with your D90 in a light box?
    No, I don't think so. I think it was just out in the open, haha. I was just fooling around really.

:thanks anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceathreamhnan View Post
    I've got a D90 - I sold a D300 and a D40 having settled on this, as it's a lot more compact and lightweight compared to the bigger cameras, whilst having the same image quality. Size and weight matter to me whilst hillwalking, though I do tend to undo this a bit by using a 18-200 or 16-35 zoom which are both big and heavy!
    There's a good simple user guide on Ken Rockwell's site here: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/users-guide/index.htm

Ken is an independent reviewer/geek who calls a spade a spade!

I've a load of Nikon lenses some quite old; just recently when doing very close-up pictures for ebay I made this:

which I had to use the 200mm setting on one of the zooms to get enough magnification - and this lens was the only one I had that focused close enough. For a lot of macro photography I guess a dedicated macro lens will let you focus closer, but you don't want to be too close or you'll prevent light getting on the subject (and photography is all about getting light on the subject )
    Couldn't agree with you more. I learned all about lighting when using my G10 previously. It's even more the case when using the DSLR.

So it sounds like you find the D90 a great performer for the size/price as well. I am definitely happy with my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Haf View Post
    Congrats for your camera, I owned a D80 and handled the D90 many times, these are great little cameras. The D90 will keep you busy for a lot of time, happy shooting
    Thanks!

I sure hope so. I'm counting on at least 3 years out of this bad boy before thinking about upgrading.

By the way, I can't seem to figure out how to get the camera to take quick consecutive shots (like for high speed shots).

Can anyone help? :thanks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information