Budget DSLR

Thread: Budget DSLR

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Budget DSLR

I'm considering moving up to my first DSLR. I've been reading up on three, but the more reviews I read, the more confused I am getting about the technical details.

I'm a novice photographer. I've always used nice compact point and shooters but would like to move to the next level. I would use the camera for work as well (Realtor) so I would take a lot of wide angle shots and more indoor photography than outdoors; then of course my watch photos...... But ease of use would be as important as picture quality.

The three are:

Nikon D60
    Canon Rebel XS
    Olympus E-520

Which would you recommend for my needs and why?

Thanks for your time.

Re: Budget DSLR

I purchased the D-510 early this year and am very pleased with it. I average about 20,000 photos a year and shoot everything from airshows, to macro stills. The camera performs very well in manual and auto with my only complaint being the autofocus loves to roam in low light situations. Cycling the power will reset the lens to infinity which helps some. The Olympus DSLR's have a few really unique and handy features. One is a live view that allows you to compose your shots on the lcd. The other that I use frequently is the depth of field preview button. The camera also has a fully adjustable white balance control which can be previewed on the lcd for white matching.

I have added the 70-300 Zuiko telephoto to my kit and am quite happy with the lenses. I would say the only other consideration to take would be how large you intend to expand your lens collection. There are not that many 4/3 olympus lenses available and they are pretty darn expensive.

Overall, while I can't comment on the others you are considering, I can say that you won't be disappointed with an E-510 or 520 (only difference is resolution) series camera.

I take horrible pics, so this won't mean much, but I love my D40.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can't really go wrong with the nikon or canon offerings as they have the most number of compatible lenses out there. However, I would get the D60 or D80 instead of the D40 for the Nikon.
    My current but meager collection:
    Orient CEM65006D "Pepsi Mako"
    Alpha Radiomir #080/400
    Citizen NY0054
    Seiko SKX781k "Orange Monster"
    Seiko SPR043K1 "Spork"

Wishlist

Stowa Roman MO
    Stowa Flieger "Sterile"
    Stowa Antea Creme

As a novice, one thing you may want to consider is which camera comes with the widest angle lens for your real estate work. I know the Olympus comes w. a 14mm which does a pretty good job.Unless you want to dump a ton of money into a pancake lens, the kit lens could potentially be your deciding factor as you probably aren't concerned with all the professional features of a camera at this point. You will find that the auto feature on all the cameras you are considering works pretty much the same in that they turn the camera into a high end point and shoot. They should all work very nearly equal for your indoor and watch photography.

Just remember, if you really want good pictures of your watches, you need to get the light away from the camera (don't use flash). You may consider a lightbox as a followup purchase to whatever you decide to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by blurking View Post
    Can't really go wrong with the nikon or canon offerings as they have the most number of compatible lenses out there. However, I would get the D60 or D80 instead of the D40 for the Nikon.
    Agreed.

For a beginner SLR, I vote for the Olympus. Value for dollar I don't think it can be beat because of the Zuiko lenses that can be purchased with the kit. Neither Canon nor Nikor (nor sigma or tamron) can match these lenses at their price point. As a Canon guy, I must say Olympus has the ergonomics of a small camera down pat too.

The downsides are that it has a smaller sensor, so it's not terrific in low light and if you deside to upgrade at a later date you are stuck with the 4/3rds system. Since you aren't out much money in the beginning ($750 will get you roughly 22-400mm, converted to 35mm) I think it's a wash.

The fact of the matter is that you won't go wrong with any of the 3. They're all terrific cameras.

The Subliminal Orifice of Underlying World

I use E-500 Olympus and like it. Canon and Nikon are the big dogs in the DSLR but at the same time cost more than Olympus.
    One thing to add, before you buy, look at what additional lenses you would like to have. For example, macro lens is one that many end up getting. At work I have D60 and recently found out that, one of the better macro lenses that we spend lots of money on is not compatible with D40 and D60, it works only in manual mode.
    There are only two kinds of people in the world, the ones that own Sinn U1, U1W, U2, UX, U212 and U-Unlimited, and ones that don’t.

I am the ruler of the attunement to my inner self.

Thanks for all of your comments guys. It seems from here and TZ, the consensus seems to be for the Olympus. I guess the next step would be to go to the camera store and actually start shooting some pictures. :thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc9edn View Post
    As a novice, one thing you may want to consider is which camera comes with the widest angle lens for your real estate work. I know the Olympus comes w. a 14mm which does a pretty good job.
    I beg to differ. Olympus' 510, 520, 410 and 420 respectively have a magnification factor of 2x. which means the lens is actually 28mm. read the specs on the camera and multiply any lens' focal length by the magnification factor in the specs, this will give you the real value of the focal.

andy
    www.andix.org

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information