Camera and Lens Suggestions - watch shots

Thread: Camera and Lens Suggestions - watch shots

Camera and Lens Suggestions - watch shots

Hey guys! I'm looking to get my first DSLR for watch shots and jewelry shots too. Any suggestions on a camera and lens on a budget? I'd like to stay around $700-1,000 all in if possible. I appreciate the advice and help in advance everyone!

Re: Camera and Lens Suggestions - watch shots

The lens and camera actually doesn't matters too much for shooting products. My suggestion will be to get a second hand DSLR with a cheap lens that is able to shoot Macro. Just shoot at F8 - F11 as most APS-C and FF DSLR lens MTF chart are the best overall in those F-Stop.

The reason is that while I have been in the product line for a short time shooting jewellery, the more important aspect of such item is the accuracy of color, so the saving can be spent more on the important areas.

I do not want a case of a company coming to me saying that the item is a white dial when the photo shows blue or yellow. Thus my strobe and light table etc are more important that they are consistently at 5500 - 5600k. Also get a light meter for flash.

With digital, a grey card can be useful in place of accurate white balance as you can digitally edit it to be accurate, you can crop off the grey card after taking the image but do note that while doing close up using Macro or certain angle, the grey card will not be that useful as there might be no space to fit it in.

At times, for certain products that has high reflective index material, a CPL filter will be useful when photographing from certain angle.

The above are speaking from experience, thus I have been editing details here and there, Apologies for the messy format and if it is hard to read.

For your price range get a nikon dx body like 3300. Kit w/ lenses if your gonna use it for other uses also. And nikon AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G Macro Lens
    spent the rest on a set of lamps, a soft box and a tripod. Should be about $800-900. Then get adobe creative cloud for $10 a month.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Does it have to be an SLR? Have you looked at mirrorless cameras at all (Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji). Each has bodies and lenses that would fit your price range.

As a semi-pro, I have (at least) 4 Canon bodies, a 5D, 5D Mark II, a D60 and 6D and a D70, 50 & 100 Canon Macros, 100 Zeiss Macro, (among many others) and I find the basic 5D & 100 Macro is a good basic combo, and no, you don't need light meters, gray cards, etc.--you can tinker around and get your color setting right on your camera, and also tweak the color if necessary on the computer. All that said, I also have a Sony RX100 III with a full frame focussing back and fixed (zoom/macro) lens that takes amazingly clear, sharp and accurate pictures and renders colors such as gold very accurately right out of the box. I specialize in natural light, even for watches, and though I have a ton of strobes and the like, I use natural light sometimes aided by reflecting panels 95% of the time, with no flash.
    Last edited by timefleas; March 28th, 2017 at 10:49.

yes doesn't have to be DSLR.. make sure lighting, white balance and background are good as first priority.

I personally use the nikkor 105mm f2.8 macro. Captures every little detail there is! The lens itself is around $700 though. But in my personal experience if you light it with a soft box and some led lights you can get a used dx body and the photos is still as sharp as can be.

Olympus M4/3 and Panasonic makes amazing camera bodies and their lens are cheap and good :D

I'd say look for a used Nikon D5XXX and a used sharp lens of 30 to 50 milimeters focal length.
    I usually recommend getting second hand because you can sell later for the exact amount of money that you paid and that makes it way easier to upgrade to better gear.

Thread Information