Canon 50D and snowstorm!

Thread: Canon 50D and snowstorm!

Canon 50D and snowstorm!

OK, here goes. Literally unpacked a 50D out of the box on 2/24 w/a 28-135mm IS 3.5-5.6 kit lens.

Today 2/26, we get 15 plus inches of the white stuff and I want to get out with

wife and son for some photo fun. Any quick start up suggestions for a new to

DSLR world guy? Apart from setting it in the full auto and getting those

awful grey shots? Also any tips on gear care when going out in this weather?

Battery charging as we speak!

Thanks for any help.

Re: Canon 50D and snowstorm!

Congrats on the new DSLR! One of the models I'm considering as well. Looking forward to some great shots!

Thanks! But any tips on shooting in snow?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Make sure you over expose your shots by 1/3 to 1/2 stop to properly capture the white color of the snow.
    Also don't use a flash while it is snowing - you will end up lighting the flakes falling in front of you which ruins the picture. Since it will be overcast there will be no shadows to worry about - just over expose your shots slightly and enjoy!

That is a good lens you have .... try shooting in Av (aperture priority mode) instead of full automatic. Set you lens wide open i.e. lower f number, and give it a try. I used to have the same lens and f8 is sharp - wide open it may be a little soft. Also since this is your first try with the new camera I would leave the ISO settings on AUTO. Don't forget to make sure the IS switch is on! And remember that IS does not eliminate blur for moving objects.

Sorry if I am being very elementary in my advice.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Thanks! But any tips on shooting in snow?
    Last edited by coaspak; February 26th, 2010 at 19:18.
    IK

Baume Mercier Classima Executives 8591 | Hublot MDM Depose | Rolex OysterDate Preicision | Omega Constellation | Steinhart Nav BUhr II Automatik | Steinhard Marine Chronometer | Tissot Le Locle Automatic | Tissot PRS516 | Casio G-Shock | Casio Protrek | Seiko 5 Sports Automatic | Seiko Titanium Chronograph | Akribos XXIV DaVinci | Stuhrling Symphony Maestro II | Ardath (model unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by coaspak View Post
    Make sure you over expose your shots by 1/3 to 1/2 stop to properly capture the white color of the snow.
    Also don't use a flash while it is snowing - you will end up lighting the flakes falling in front of you which ruins the picture. Since it will be overcast there will be no shadows to worry about - just over expose your shots slightly and enjoy!

That is a good lens you have .... try shooting in Av (aperture priority mode) instead of full automatic. Set you lens wide open i.e. lower f number, and give it a try. I used to have the same lens and f8 is sharp - wide open it may be a little soft. Also since this is your first try with the new camera I would leave the ISO settings on AUTO. Don't forget to make sure the IS switch is on! And remember that IS does not eliminate blur for moving objects.

Sorry if I am being very elementary in my advice.

Good luck.
    IMO I don't think 1/3 to 1/2 stop over will be enough sometimes, and that depends on what mode of metering you're using also - better to trust your histogram and learn to read that properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    OK, here goes. Literally unpacked a 50D out of the box on 2/24 w/a 28-135mm IS 3.5-5.6 kit lens.

Today 2/26, we get 15 plus inches of the white stuff and I want to get out with

wife and son for some photo fun. Any quick start up suggestions for a new to

DSLR world guy? Apart from setting it in the full auto and getting those

awful grey shots? Also any tips on gear care when going out in this weather?

Battery charging as we speak!

Thanks for any help.
    Congrats on your new camera. Since you have a Canon lens, go ahead and help the camera help the lens by setting up the peripheral illumination correction for the 28-135 by enabling it. Also, turn on highlight tone priority since it'll help you save a few blown highlights - a 'D+' sign will be indicated near the ISO on the LCD panel once this is active.

Thread Information