Canon D50 Pro's-Cons?

Thread: Canon D50 Pro's-Cons?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canon D50 Pro's-Cons?

Hey boys and girls,
    Happy New Year!
    Considering getting a Canon D50 as my first "prosumer" DSLR. Have been a Canon guy(apart from a Pentax Spotmatic my dad gave me) since I got into photography back in the day of celluloid('74).Most recently have been shooting with a G9 for the past couple of years and toyed around with a Nikon D5000 bt think my final resting place(for now) will be with the D50. Any opinions?

Re: Canon D50 Pro's-Cons?

I've been using the G10 myself recently, and pretty much in the same boat as you. I had initially thought about purchasing the 500D, but after more thought, it makes much more sense to go in with the 50D as my first DSLR.

I say you should go for it!

PS: As an alternative, and if you want to stretch the budget some more, you can also consider the 7D - Canon's top-end DSLR before you get into full-frame models.

The D50 is a great camera. I'm pleased with the results I get with mine. Take a look at this link.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50.htm

Andy
    Rolex Sea-Dweller
    Breitling Chrono Avenger Titanium.
    Doxa Sub 750T Pro CC.
    Stowa Seatime.
    Aristo Dakar
    Mudman GW-9000-1JF
    PAW1300T-7VCR
    Gulfman G-9100-2ER
    GW-M5600-1ER

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Hey boys and girls,
    Happy New Year!
    Considering getting a Canon D50 as my first "prosumer" DSLR. Have been a Canon guy(apart from a Pentax Spotmatic my dad gave me) since I got into photography back in the day of celluloid('74).Most recently have been shooting with a G9 for the past couple of years and toyed around with a Nikon D5000 bt think my final resting place(for now) will be with the D50. Any opinions?
    I assume you mean the Canon 50D? If so, I recommend saving a few more pennies and getting the Canon 7D.
    - Omega Plant Ocean 2201.50.00
    - Seiko Black Monster
    - Raymond Weil Tango

- Orient Mako (blue face)
    - G-Shock GW6900-1

I've had a Canon 450D for just over a year now. No complaints.
    -Jarrod

A couple of people in my photo club had 50D's for a while, then very quickly jumped ship for 5D or 7D. Some would even say the 40D is better.

One of the main criticisms of the 50D is that they just crammed too many pixels on the sensor and high-iso performance suffered because of it. If you do a lot of daylight shoting, or shoot with flash, you'll get very sharp high-res pictures, but if you do a lot of shooting in low light, it might not go so well.

Granted, I've shot with a 10D, 20D, 40D, and now own a 5D. So I never actually experienced the 50D, and am currently being spoiled by the 5D. And me and most of my shooting buddies are ISO freaks.

i have heard claims of soft images and hot pixels from the 50D. i really wanted a 40D, but canon had discontinued it. right about the time i started looking the 50D came out and i almost bought it, but settled on the T1i... now, if the 7D had come out when i was looking... i would have bought the 7D... the 50d, t1i, and 5d mark II use Digic 4 image processing, the 7D uses dual Digic 4 image processors along with its much more expensive cousin 1D mark IV.
    Last edited by Tremec; January 7th, 2010 at 06:50.

Haf

SquishyPanda speaks the truth. I am a Nikon shooter, but I have handled most of the Canon cameras for many times and my opinion is that the 50D is not worth it. Too expensive for what it offers, too many megapixels.

At the moment a used 5D might be the best option, depending on what you want to achieve with the camera a 7D would be also good (you lose the full frame advantages but gain a better built body and faster autofocus / burst shooting capabilitites)

Ya AF on the 5D sucks 9 points, and they're all in the middle But so far it's been a fantastic camera.

A used 40D is also a really solid option. I borrowed one frequently and was planning on getting one before I decided to go 5D.

Supposedly the XTi uses the same sensor as the 40D. You just lose a couple of the "prosumer" features that you may or may not care about (joystick and quick control wheel on the back, top lcd display) and the magnesium body. It's much more portable, though (smaller and lighter). If you start buying heavy lenses, though, it'll start to feel unbalanced and awkward.

Or the T1i I hear is pretty awesome. Video isn't as good as the 7D, but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Golf Nut View Post
    I assume you mean the Canon 50D? If so, I recommend saving a few more pennies and getting the Canon 7D.
    Sorry,my bad:) 50D is what I meant exactly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information