Canon EOS EOS 600D plus two lenses EF-S IS 18-55mm & 18-135mm - Page 2

Thread: Canon EOS EOS 600D plus two lenses EF-S IS 18-55mm & 18-135mm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Re: Canon EOS EOS 600D plus two lenses EF-S IS 18-55mm & 18-135mm

If I wanted a cool logo I'd get a Leica. I hope you don't think I'd take the trouble to post a thread and then make a decision in such an adolescent fashion.

I'm still trawling through websites at pace, yet, the more I read the less difference I percieve as my ultimate choice making. Looking at dpreviews excellent studio tests with their side-by-side ISO noise checker thingy, I can see very, very little difference in performance between the main contenders. One of only 3 drawbacks on snapsort.com against the A580 vs the D5100 was "increased start-up time". It's 0.3s slower.
    I think even the reviewers are struggling to find a difference. It looks like a choice between the Nikon D5100 and the Sony Alpha 580 at the moment. Will update soon. I think it might come down to how the cameras feel in my hands side by side but I am liking the meatier models. The A580 and D5100 seem to have the edge in image quality over the rest but we're talking micro-differences. They seem evenly matched, with quicker AF, richer colours and fine-tuning of focus in Live view for the sony and more reliable white balance and exposure algorithms on the Nikon- by that I mean out of 500 shots you might possibly have to adjust the Exposure and WB on 1 sony pic in post processing (takes about 60 seconds?) and you might, just might miss a shot about once every month if you're very unlucky with the Nikon. The Nikon has a constantly adjusting focus in video mode, which is a bonus if it workes well, but the Sony has 190% of the battery life. I do like the multi-exposure in twilight setting on the Sony (but the Nikon might have it too), which allows quick-capture of micro-moments in bars etc.
    I am glad I undertook this search as it means that whichever one I get, I know I'm not short-changing myself. As to lens choice, I'm sure there will be enough to choose from no matter which model I buy. I only want a couple.

I believe you missed my point, Steve. I understand that things that are written in an online forum may not be read in the fashion that it was intended.
    My point is that you may be going too deep into details that you'd not notice when you are actually taking photos. Every single camera that you've spoken about will take great photos, no worries there. I do agree that a big selling point to you should be how it feels in your hands. One small point, if you are really concerned about the utmost in image quality, buy a camera that allows micro-adjustment between the camera optics and the sensor. That will definitely increase the IQ in a noticable way.
    Good luck on your search, and post some photos when you have the camera!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

I've recently made the upgrade to a 60d (ie the 550d's big brother bodywise, but not image-quality wise. Same sensor in the 550/600, 60 and 7) from the 350d I had for the past 5 years. I think that in the past year I really started seeing myself as being limited by the technology of my older dSLR, previous to that it was me who was not enough of a photographer to really get everything out of it. So the 550d might be just 'a basic camera' - and to be honest, that's being hipster elitist in more ways than one - but you're still a beginning photographer. It's a good fit. You'll grow into it, and by the time you seriously need a bad-ass camera (have you seen the 1D-X specs? Jesus...) you'll know it. It'll probably be in a few years. Don't sweat it for now.

Edit: Ah, should have read the rest of the thread. My bad, you weren't letting it influence you as much as the post made it look :')

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I am a complete beginner and though I now think I know which button I want, every time I get onto a new model I'm lost again. I'm actually pretty disgusted with the A580, having just tried it out- the LCD screen is a dealbreaker- no question. It seems almost designed to be broken by accident with that hinge assembly, range of mvt is limited, it doesn't actually fit the camera and you cannot turn it round to protect it. I'm astonished this design was cleared by R&D. After reading about the build quality I was also sadly disappointed. I made the mistake of briefly looking at a Nikon D90. (Drool) Having looked at some sample pics online, it is quite clear that pixel-count isn't everything. I can just about afford it but feel it would be an un-necessarily indulgent first ever camera. It's alos heavy as anything and looks extremely complicated. I experienced the limitations of EVFs today in a dimly lit part of the store. Will be getting an OVF. The multimetering focus points of the Sony also reminded me too much of a point and click, though it wouldn't have stopped me from buying it if it had felt classier and the screen had been sensible. I'm starting to see the merits of the Canon design. It feels somehow more thought-out, compact (in a good way) and I like the contact surfaces. Will be going in to make my purchase in T minus 45 hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information