canon g9 shutterlag?

Thread: canon g9 shutterlag?

canon g9 shutterlag?

Probably a dumb question but being relatively new to this I figured no harm done. I am currently shooting with a Canon G9 and am troubled by the seemingly excssive lag between pushing the shutter button and activation. Does the SDHC card I use make a difference? i've missed some great opps. due t this.
    Also have a 4 year old Kodak w/5 megapixels that does not have this issues at all. Thanks!

Re: canon g9 shutterlag?

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Probably a dumb question but being relatively new to this I figured no harm done. I am currently shooting with a Canon G9 and am troubled by the seemingly excssive lag between pushing the shutter button and activation. Does the SDHC card I use make a difference? i've missed some great opps. due t this.
    Also have a 4 year old Kodak w/5 megapixels that does not have this issues at all. Thanks!
    All digitals have lag and it varies model to model. Changing the card may or may not have an effect. OK article:

http://digital-cameras.toptenreviews...hutter-lag.htm

Oh: and apparently battery charge and quality can matter as well:

http://www.snapjunky.com/digicam-adv...tter-lag.shtml

If the camera takes AA's (I'm not sure if any do) I'd put in some low self discharge NIMHs - Hybrios would be good. If the battery is a lithium, keep it charged and if you notice a difference then maybe buy a spare.
    Last edited by scuttle; March 27th, 2009 at 14:47.

These camera's don't have "shutter lag". What you are experiencing is the amount of time it takes these consumer digital camera's to focus and set exposure on the image you are wanting to photograph. Non digital SLR camera's are known for their very slow focus times which can make action photography difficult at best. Only way to take action shots is to have a digital camera which has manual focus, or at least a focus lock.

If you ever get a chance to handle a DSLR you will instantly see the difference in time it takes for a DSLR to focus on the same object as a regular digital camera.

Below is an example of how you can preset a non DSLR camera to take very good action pics. I manually set the focus to about 5 feet or so and had the exposure lock on. Basically the only delay I had when taking the pic was the 1/100th of a sec shutter speed delay which is fast enough to stop Tony Hawk mid air while doing a flip. If your camera allows you these adjustments, try experimenting with them sometime and you will be more prepared next time you wanna take action shots. They are tons of fun!

Btw, my camera is a Canon G3, so 4MP, and circa 2002. An oldie but a goodie!

Oakley TimeBomb Carbon Fiber
    Seiko Premier SNP003
    Bernhardt Globemaster #228 Green/Silver
    Wenger Swiss Military Commando Chrono
    Casio G-Shock DW6900
    Benarus Moray
    #43 Silver dial/brushed

Pics of the Watch Collection

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Btw Mako, you can set manual focus on your G9 by hitting the "MF" button which is on the rotary dial on the back of your camera, and to exposure lock is the * shaped button, also the Mic button in blue on the top right corner of the back of your camera.

Use those two to make action shots a LOT easier.
    Oakley TimeBomb Carbon Fiber
    Seiko Premier SNP003
    Bernhardt Globemaster #228 Green/Silver
    Wenger Swiss Military Commando Chrono
    Casio G-Shock DW6900
    Benarus Moray
    #43 Silver dial/brushed

Pics of the Watch Collection

Thread Information