Canon Lens

Thread: Canon Lens

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Canon Lens

Hi,

i am new to photography and pruchased a 1000D about five months ago and have been running around taking photos with the lens that came with the camera.

Knowing that you are better to spend your money on a good lens that is portable across hardware upgrades, i am now looking for a lens that is decent and slots between the 18-55 and the 75-300 that I have.

i have narrowed it down to three based on reviews online, but if there are people that have more knowledge or can advise, jump in and make a case for or against.

the three are

ef 24-105mm f/4
    ef 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6
    ef 24-70mm f/2.8

two are on the higher side of a purchase and the other the lower, but am I better spending now and using for a long time?
    Current Collection

Panerai Luminor 112
    Omega Seamaster Vancouver Games LE
    Chopard Millie Milgia
    Panerai Radiomir 183
    Lacroix Masterpiece Retrograde Moon Phase
    Fortis Official Cosmonauts B42 LE

too many others, always adding!

Haf

Re: Canon Lens

The two pro grade zooms you listed (24-105 and 24-70) are overkill for your camera. All three lenses have been designed to offer the best results on full frame cameras like the Canon 5d series or 1ds series in respect to focal length ranges. Unless you seriously need it, any lens that starts from 24mm doesn't make much sense on an APS-C camera since 24mm gives you the equivalent angle of view that a ~38mm lens offers on a full frame camera, so this means you will probably miss the wide angle section of your kit lens.

Unless you are planning an upgrade to a full frame camera in the near future I would try to find some other lenses more suitable to the APS-C format.

Out of the 3 lenses I would rate the 24-105mm as the best in respect to image quality, sample variation and auto focusing action. The 24-70mm f/2.8, although a good performer in the optics department, is notorious for its sample variation (some copies are ok while some are duds) and unreliable focus on the wide angle end that spoils the image quality. It's highly recommended that you test this lens before buying it. Most of my friends that shoot with it lust for an updated version of this lens that would address the shortcomings mentioned above.

The 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is really not worth talking about, it's just a consumer zoom meant to be used on full frame cameras, sooner or later (regardless of your camera) you will want/need a zoom that offers a constant aperture on the entire focal length range or a bunch of high quality primes.
    Last edited by Haf; June 29th, 2010 at 15:56.

Sounds like some good advise from Haf above. If you're going to stick with a crop camera or are unsure there are a lot of EF-S lenses from Canon and similar from Tokina, Tamron and Sigma. One of the most versatile lenses I've used on a crop camera as a walk around lens was a Sigma 18-200mm. It was the image stabilized model. On a 1.6 cc the focal length is equal to 28-320mm on a full frame, a very versatile range. Along with it I used a couple of faster (2.0 and 1.4) primes and two macro's (100mm and 60mm efs). If you eventually move to full frame the 18-200 is very easy to sell as well as the 60mm efs if you're into macro work.

I do have the 24-105L and the 24-70L. Love the 24-105 on my 5DMII, great walk around lens. The 24-70 2.8 is more of a brick and I don't use it as much.

It's a fun hobby. Enjoy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't believe in 'overkill' as far as lenses go. When I had my XTi (400D?) a couple years ago, I purchased a 17-40mm f/4L for it. I still have that lens today, which spends almost all its time on my 40D.

You absolutely will be happy with the 24-105. Fantastic color reproduction and a constant f-stop across zoom ranges, which is a huge benefit in my eyes.
    The f/2.8 would be more versatile in low light conditions, although you pay for that in increased cost and weight (half pound more and +$300 at B&H).

The downside (which is the curse of photography) is that if you pick up L glass, you will almost immediately recognize the deficiencies of your other lenses... It is a slippery slope, leading to thin wallets and hours poring over lens specs!
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

get a 50mm f1.8..

Pardon me if this is a highjack, but Im a bit in the same boat. I would like to stick my big toe in the world of macro photography, but being someone who doesnt like to spend a boatload of money, can any of you photo experts let me know what your general thoughts are on this 50mm f/1.8? The only 'downside' I see is that you have to get a bit closer than if it were 100m. Thanks for any input
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8...8009597&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by sbkurtz View Post
    Pardon me if this is a highjack, but Im a bit in the same boat. I would like to stick my big toe in the world of macro photography, but being someone who doesnt like to spend a boatload of money, can any of you photo experts let me know what your general thoughts are on this 50mm f/1.8? The only 'downside' I see is that you have to get a bit closer than if it were 100m. Thanks for any input
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8...8009597&sr=8-1
    Maybe do the 50mm and pop a close-up filter, like a +2 or +4 and stop it down?... just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    I don't believe in 'overkill' as far as lenses go. When I had my XTi (400D?) a couple years ago, I purchased a 17-40mm f/4L for it. I still have that lens today, which spends almost all its time on my 40D.

You absolutely will be happy with the 24-105. Fantastic color reproduction and a constant f-stop across zoom ranges, which is a huge benefit in my eyes.
    The f/2.8 would be more versatile in low light conditions, although you pay for that in increased cost and weight (half pound more and +$300 at B&H).

The downside (which is the curse of photography) is that if you pick up L glass, you will almost immediately recognize the deficiencies of your other lenses... It is a slippery slope, leading to thin wallets and hours poring over lens specs!
    +1. You can't overkill with good glass, let's be real. I'd rather do a 1000D and the ef 24-105mm f/4 or ef 24-70mm f/2.8 than a 7D with a schlocky kit lens any day.

BTW, I had the 24-70 2.8L and still got the 24-105 4L - the contrast and saturation is better with the 24-70 2.8L but the IS and portability with the 24-105 4L made that the keeper. And you can shoot the 24-105 4L wide open, unlike the 24-70 2.8L where you have to be more careful.

I also have Canon 1000d/XS and use a 50mm f1.8 and 24-85mm USM...The "Nifty Fifty" will be the best $100 you will spend!

Jun 9, 2010
    1600×1027 pixels – 195KB
    Filename: IMG_6903.JPG
    Camera: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 1000D
    ISO: 200
    Exposure: 1/25 sec
    Aperture: 5.6
    Focal Length: 50mm
    Flash Used: No

Thanks.

I am going to vietnam in a couple of weeks and wanted to use it then. i will have a look and play with the lens tomorrow, but am defintiely heading towards the 24-105 after what has been said.
    Current Collection

Panerai Luminor 112
    Omega Seamaster Vancouver Games LE
    Chopard Millie Milgia
    Panerai Radiomir 183
    Lacroix Masterpiece Retrograde Moon Phase
    Fortis Official Cosmonauts B42 LE

too many others, always adding!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information