Canon macro lens recommendations - Page 2

Thread: Canon macro lens recommendations

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Canon macro lens recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by solowatch View Post
    Well, I'm sure a dedicate macro lens is better and easier in most cases, but for about $100 the Opteka rig seems to be a reasonable alternative for occasional use, assuming that it works. I'm just wondering if that setup would produce decent results.
    "Better and easier" will, over time and usage, more than offset the $160 or so price difference between a proper lens and a jury-rigged one.

jury-rigged is rather harsh. I use extension tubes all the time with great results. I use them on my canon 100mm-400mm all the time. No other lens combo can give you the flexibility to shoot butterflies/bugs/birds over a varying distance QUICKLY and accurately. I also have a canon 100mm f/2.8L macro that I find very limiting when shooting small fast moving subjects.

These were taken with the 100mm-400mm zoom lens and extension tubes.

::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

slow internet double post.
    ::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've not experimented with extension tubes. I have a Sigma 105mm macro that I use for my (wait for it...) macro stuff. It does really well in this regard, I don't use it for anything else.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    jury-rigged is rather harsh. I use extension tubes all the time with great results.

Great results!!! Nice job 00Photo.

The tubes seem like a reasonably cheap way to temporarilly change your non-macro lens into a macro. As I understand it, the tubes have no glass so the optics of the lens don't change, right?

I may give this a try. Amazon has a good satisfaction policy, so if I don't like the results I can always return them. But I would still like to find a reasonable dedicated macro lens. I'm going to take a look at the used market and see if I can get a lens at a better deal than the new ones. I really don't want to spend $500-600 just to experiment with this.

Besides the Bay, does anyone have any ideas where I can find used lenses?

Thanks.

This probably won't help you but I have the 100mm macro and it is a very good lens with excellent clarity. It is expensive but much less than the L series lens. I bought it for watch photography but I've ended up using it for a ton of other things like hood ornament and detail pictures at car shows and portraits etc. The only downside is the lack of image stabilization which means you need a tripod for any macro distance stuff or lower light.

I'm of the opinion that it's better to get the best you can afford than to buy something lesser and have to upgrade later, but if you think you might not get enough use out of it then extension tubes are probably a good bet.

Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavallino33

Quote Originally Posted by solowatch View Post
    The tubes seem like a reasonably cheap way to temporarilly change your non-macro lens into a macro. As I understand it, the tubes have no glass so the optics of the lens don't change, right?

Correct. They are just hollow tubes. They move the lens' mount further away from the camera and basically allow the lens to focus on stuff that is closer to it than it would otherwise do without the tubes. Since the objects are closer to the lens they are bigger/more zoomed in when you take the shot. For example, say the minimum distance your current lens can focus on a subject right now is 3 meters - if you stack all those tubes it'll focus on objects at a much closer distance.

Here's a set of 3 tubes that I've seen praised before on photography forums - Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set DG for Canon EOS Lens AEXTUBEDGC -

You can also buy used lenses and other equipment from BH Photo (Used Equipment - B&H Photo Video).

Also, www.fredmiranda.com has a for sale section. You need to donate money to their site to post in that particular section (posting in other forums on that site is free), but not paying won't prevent you from sending sellers private messages about their ads. That is free.

If you eventually decide you want to spend more money on the lens, the Sigma 150 2.8 Macro always gets rave reviews.

I use Canon 100mm F2.8 macro lens, first version USM but not IS.

This is an exceptional lens, none competitor at this range and price.

As already stated, the 100mm F2.8 is one of the best out there. The L version is even better (IQ is the same though ;)).

Until I get a 100mm, I use my 50mm 1.8 with soligor macro tubes. It may not be the most ergonomical option, but it works!

Some of my pics with this setup:

Last edited by Dimer; September 10th, 2010 at 10:20.
    - IWC Ingenieur Automatic IW3227-01
    - Omega Speedmaster Mitsukoshi
    - Casio G-Shock G8900DGK-7 DGK
    - Casio G-Shock GW-7900RD-4JF

Shortlist
    - Panerai Radiomir 1940 PAM512

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    jury-rigged is rather harsh. I use extension tubes all the time with great results. I use them on my canon 100mm-400mm all the time. No other lens combo can give you the flexibility to shoot butterflies/bugs/birds over a varying distance QUICKLY and accurately. I also have a canon 100mm f/2.8L macro that I find very limiting when shooting small fast moving subjects.

I've also used my Canon EF 100-400 with extension tubes and it works like a charm. But this is by far a cheap option
    - IWC Ingenieur Automatic IW3227-01
    - Omega Speedmaster Mitsukoshi
    - Casio G-Shock G8900DGK-7 DGK
    - Casio G-Shock GW-7900RD-4JF

Shortlist
    - Panerai Radiomir 1940 PAM512

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information