Canon macro lens recommendations

Thread: Canon macro lens recommendations

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Canon macro lens recommendations

I have a canon XSI digital camera, with 3 decent lenses for most shooting needs, but now I would like to get a macro lens for close up photos of watches, nature, and other small things.

I have looked at the Canon 100mm F2.8 macro lens, which I like, but at near $600 it's out of my range. Is there a decent lens at more reasonable price that you would recommend?

Thanks.

Re: Canon macro lens recommendations

Eh, pretty much any macro lens will do, even the off-brands. Extension tubes work as well. You could also look for something used, or try reversing one of your existing lenses. Heaps of options.

Thanks Hydrocarbon, this is very interesting. I'd love to find one of those reverse adapters for my camera, that looks like it would be fun to play with on a lazy afternoon.

I'm not much of a photographer, I mean I like photography, but have never really studied the art or spent a lot of time practicing it, so I don't follow all the lingo. I guess I'm just an average amateur, but I'm finding it more interesting lately and would like to dabble in it some more.

Please tell me a little bit more about extension tubes and what they do, relative cost, and whether they're easier to use than the reverse lens deal.

Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Tamron SP AF Di 90mm f/2.8 Macro is a very good Lens.

The Tamron looks like a great lens, but still close to $500.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Canon EF-S 60mm Macro lens? It seems I can get one of these for under $400. Most of the comments I've seen on it are positive, and it seems to be a pretty versatile lens.

Since this will go on my Rebel XSi, which is not a full-frame camera, I'm not really sure what the effective range of this lens would be. Any ideas?

Also, are there any options for attaching additional optics to my existing lenses? I thought I read somewhere that close-up lenses can be attached to like a filter to change the magnification of a lens. Does that work?

Haf

The 60mm is a great lens, but the working distance is pretty limiting compared to a lens in the 100mm area, you will have a very hard time lighting your subjects.

Since you are using an APS-C camera the 60mm will give you the equivalent field of view coverage of a 96mm lens mounted on a full frame camera.

If you're on a budget extension tubes work great!
    ::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

I've been doing some reading on extension tubes, and it seems a combination of tubes and diopters may be a pretty cheap way to get macro capability.

I checked on Amazon and the Opteka tube set with 13 mm, 21 mm, and 31 mm tubes is about $80.

Amazon also has a 58mm 10x Opteka lens for $20.

I currently have 3 existing lenses for my XSi, the 18-55 IS, 28-105 EF, and the 100-300. If I add these Opteka attachments, what sort of results should I expect? Will I have trouble with lighting? I have a tri-pod which I would likely use with most macro shots, but I've already had situations where I had difficulty with lighting.

Thanks for all the input.

I'd get a lens over tubes and extensions just about every time.

I'd get the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 compact macro if I were in your shoes. Here's a shopping guide link for it: Canon Macro lens - 50 mm - F/2.5 - Canon EF

Let us know through samples what you got when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by AirWatch View Post
    I'd get a lens over tubes and extensions just about every time.

I'd get the Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 compact macro if I were in your shoes. Here's a shopping guide link for it: Canon Macro lens - 50 mm - F/2.5 - Canon EF

Let us know through samples what you got when you get it.
    Well, I'm sure a dedicate macro lens is better and easier in most cases, but for about $100 the Opteka rig seems to be a reasonable alternative for occasional use, assuming that it works. I'm just wondering if that setup would produce decent results.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information