Couple of lume shots experimenting with the new camera
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Couple of lume shots experimenting with the new camera

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Couple of lume shots experimenting with the new camera

I bought a Canon T2i from Amazon earlier this week and decided to experiment. This was the first time I've used a DSLR, but I think these pics turned out okay. Any tips are recommended.

Last edited by streetracer101; September 4th, 2011 at 05:52. Reason: updated some pics
    gaopa likes this.

Re: Couple of lume shots experimenting with the new camera

After looking at these pics, can somebody give me a tip on how to make the black blacker (does that make sense)?

I like what you're doing here, my friend. Keep up the good work!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

that´s the camera I want... lucky you!... nice photos congratulations... want to really get creative and take the best pictures possible of your watches and basically everything else??? buy a 50mm prime lens... no other lens can be as sharp and as great as a 50mm

80 Awe-Inspiring Photographs Taken With a “Nifty Fifty”

oooh another thing... well I´m not any expert.. I wish to... haha but looking at the lights-off pictures it seems to me that ISO was a little too high.. I´m assuming this because for example the green lumed dial is not sharp... the image looks grainy.. and look at all those little color dots on the background, that is NOISE and usually it´s produced due to high ISO... did you shoot in Auto mode or Auto-ISO? to make the black background even darker I think you can try to shoot in Manual mode, select ISO 100 or 200, even 400 but no more, and as you did maybe 2 or 3 seconds exposure... mmmm also try using spot light-metering mode, anyway experiment all you can that´s a nice camera!

good luck!

Jose,
    Thanks for the link - those are some amazing pics. I am going to look into a 50mm and work on the ISO settings.
    My wife signed up for a photography class at the local community college, so hopefully she can teach me something too
    Rob
    jose-CostaRica likes this.

ooh yes a 50mm lens is a "must to have" tool to take great pictures, your new camera is awesome and I´m very sure your wife will love it and maybe take possession of it hahaha... well at least you´ll still have your watches.

Forums are a huge source of free knowledge, WUS is an awesome place to learn about watches, just as WUS there are tons of forums meant to teach photography.

good luck!

Just a couple of tips the ISO is too high for that camera and the exposures a re a little too long, you can also bring your black back with photoshop, have fun

Quote Originally Posted by streetracer101 View Post
    After looking at these pics, can somebody give me a tip on how to make the black blacker (does that make sense)?
    Yes, it makes sense. It sounds like this is your first DSLR - welcome to the next level! Like another posted, one of the reasons the photos aren't as good as they could be is your settings. I applaud you for going Manual mode, I didn't brave the mysterious "M" for a couple months.

You shot the first photo at f/5.6 for 20 seconds at ISO 6400. For regular (non-lume), and assuming you have a tripod, experiment with f/11, ISO 200 and about half a second. I'm still experimenting with lume shots myself, although I had a decent one come out with the settings of f/8, ISO 200 and 13 seconds. I'll post the photo of the Gallet lume shot in a bit.

I don't know what software you use for post-processing, although with shooting manual, and I always shoot RAW images, it is absolutely necessary. After the simple Crop/ Straighten, go for a slight "S" curve in your level adjustments, that's an easy way to control the contrast levels.

Above all, shoot more and post more photos!
    Good luck,
    ~Daniel
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Thanks guys. I was fooling around and snapped a few more:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information